Monday, July 22, 2019

Loliware has developed a straw that the company's sustainability adviser, Daniela Saltzman, told Business Insider "looks, feels, and acts like plastic." However, it's actually created out of "hyper-compostable" seaweed that biodegrades much like a banana peel on land and breaks down in weeks in water.

Comments

A 200 pack on Amazon costs $9.99.

5 cents a straw isn't bad. Last 2 years in storage.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-07-22 03:33 AM | Reply

About 2-3 times as expensive as plastic straws. Price will probable come down in the future.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-07-22 03:38 AM | Reply

I want to buy disposable seaweed cups, plates, knives, forks and spoons.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-07-22 04:09 AM | Reply

Looking forward to "hyper-compostable", biodegradable MAGA hats that decompose and turn back to ---- within hours of use...

#4 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2019-07-22 09:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Technology, innovation, and entrepreneurship: solving problems on its own.

Look ma! No government hands required!

#5 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-07-22 09:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Look ma! No government hands required!"

Look ma! Mark Cuban is the main investor!

#6 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2019-07-22 09:48 AM | Reply

"Price will probable come down in the future."

Or the price of seaweed will go up dramatically as that resource gets depleted, making it even harder to eat a healthy food.

#7 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-07-22 10:06 AM | Reply

I want to buy disposable seaweed cups, plates, knives, forks and spoons... Rat, I'm with you... I want fast food boxes and wrappers, plastic bags...and imagine a seaweed based computer!...If we could do that, why not car batteries or cars themselves?

Funny thing, Oceanic experts were worried the kelp beds were dying off just a few years ago. They could be coming back in a big way... This could mean a revolution in aquaculture (underwater farming) is about to take place...

Could be the next big thing...

#8 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-07-22 10:09 AM | Reply

It's KAG hats and they are designed to last 4 more years...

They will be easier to find this time around as more Democrats will be wearing them.

You probably around have a few in your closet right now... it's OK, all of us here understand...

Even a Pumpkin Head needs a hat..

#9 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-07-22 10:19 AM | Reply

In 50 years all seaweed will be made out of plastic.

#10 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2019-07-22 11:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

How is seaweed more renewable than forestry products?

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-07-22 12:01 PM | Reply

How is seaweed more renewable than forestry products?

#11 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Uhhh... Forestry products (as long as it is sustainable forestry) IS renewable. Though this might be "more renewable" (not completely sure what the kpi's you want to use are) because seaweed farming probably produces more per area of farmed surface, and also is probably less intensive and disruptive to produce than wood (trees).

#12 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2019-07-22 12:30 PM | Reply

Stupidity is a renewable resource for many Republicans.

#13 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2019-07-22 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I see. Because any damage done will be underwater and in the ocean, it wont be seen. The ocean, after all, is so vast it cannot be be harmed by further exploitation. I hope The conversion of seaweed to plastic only uses natural processes and has no harmful by products.

#14 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-07-22 02:14 PM | Reply

I already have biodegradable straws made from corn that feel exactly like plastic. I welcome additional technology but this isn't groundbreaking.

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2019-07-22 02:23 PM | Reply

First it's not plastic but rather a cellulose based alternative. No natural process are used to create it. In fact, it does not exist in Nature in this form.

While you could eat it... I wouldn't as your internal biological processes my not be compatible... lots more research needed.

Based on plant cellulose, which are the building blocks of tree's, farm crops and seaweed. All these in a any combination will work together just fine as it's all cellulose.

Trees will work but you have forest fires.

Farm crops will also work but you have fertilizer issues as well as demand for Ethanol.

Seaweed is best because of it's fantastic grown rate and you don't have to worry abut forest fires or fertilizers.

We all know that's wrong... but now, for the first time, the ocean's bottom has value. Possibly a lot of it...

The question now is who owns it? Who is being hurt when passing ships dump their oil or diesel into the water? Who goes to court... and who goes to jail?

WE have the technology... now we have to work out the legal stuff...

#16 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-07-22 03:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Joe,
Had a super huge client that was as crunchy granola hippy as you can get.
They spent a ton of money and time trying to get corn based plastic bottles for their supplements.
All the major manufactures took swings at it and couldn't get the shelf life, heat resistance, oily feel, etc to be satisfactory.
They sold to J&J and the project died. I haven't revisited the situation in a few years, and I'm sure it has improved, but do they feel slick/oily? How long have you had them?

I don't use straws, but the family uses the metal ones. There are little brushes to clean them with that look like gun barrel cleaners in all of my kitchen drawers driving me crazy.

#17 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-07-22 03:16 PM | Reply

Hey Chair,

The brand i use is caled "World Centric." They are stiff, dry and smooth just like a plastic straw. Never felt a hint of oiliness to them; i actually rinse and re-use them sometimes with no ill effects.

#18 | Posted by JOE at 2019-07-22 03:58 PM | Reply

I want to buy disposable seaweed cups, plates, knives, forks and spoons.

#3 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

We had compostable plates, knives, forks and spoons for 12 months before most of us even knew they switched. You literally can't tell the difference.

#19 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-07-22 04:12 PM | Reply

Glad to hear it.
No shame in washing out and reusing a straw.
I do the same with the gallon/half gallon ziplocks.

We've tried some beeswax type reusable Saran Wrap but I think it's nasty.

#20 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-07-22 05:44 PM | Reply

#20 I'm lucky enough to live down the street from a co-op grocer that has a small selection of carefully vetted products when it comes to eco-friendly straws, plates, tissue, supplements, etc. Takes out a lot of the guesswork for me.

#21 | Posted by JOE at 2019-07-22 10:25 PM | Reply

Are their prices competitive?

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2019-07-22 10:49 PM | Reply

#22 Cheaper than Whole Foods (and more local food, better quality) and more expensive than your run of the mill grocery store. But they don't really sell the same products as a traditional grocer.

www.outpost.coop

#23 | Posted by JOE at 2019-07-22 11:13 PM | Reply

Of course, these are much cheaper than the new 'Trump' labeled PLASTIC straws being sold by the 'Donald Trump 2020 Presidential Campaign' for the very low price of $15 for 10 straws (I assume that the majority of the revenue generated will go to the Trump Organization to cover the fees for the right to use the 'Trump' name). They are being marketed as a direct response to the trend of using non-plastic, environmentally friendly straws, such as the Seaweed=based straws highlighted in this thread.

www.vanityfair.com

OCU

#24 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-07-23 12:45 PM | Reply

Technology, innovation, and entrepreneurship: solving problems on its own.

Look ma! No government hands required!

#5 | Posted by nullifidian

This is the RESULT of government hands moron.

Government banning plastic straws created the market vacuum for capitalists to fill with new solutions.

God you're a brainwashed idiot.

#25 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-07-23 01:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It's KAG hats and they are designed to last 4 more years...

Even a Pumpkin Head needs a hat..

#9 | Posted by Pegasus

They're dunce hats, the modern Klan hoods, and we love seeing you in them. It saves so much work on identifying dangerous angry basement dwelling morons.

#26 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-07-23 01:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--Government banning plastic straws

They did? I get plastic straws at places almost everyday. But then I don't live in some goofy, Leftist city like Berkeley. And if they do start handing me wimpy paper straws I'll stop going there.

#27 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-07-23 01:21 PM | Reply

#27 | Posted by nullifidian

Yes I'm sure you could never earn enough to afford to live in a nice area, but that doesn't change the fact that your gloat about these seaweed straws not needing government regulation is wrong.

Local governments are banning plastic straws left and right, which is what led to the creation of greener alternatives. That's how it's supposed to work. At least until corporations capture and neuter local governments like they did the federal government.

#28 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-07-23 01:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Drink outta the glass..Like we did in the 50's.

#29 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-07-23 01:36 PM | Reply

Drink outta the glass..Like we did in the 50's.

#29 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

In the 50s, the dishwasher was making a respectable wage.

#30 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-07-23 01:47 PM | Reply

In the 50s, the dishwasher was making a respectable wage.
#30 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

The wage back then was related to the cost of living..
Now there are automatic dishwashers that use water much hotter than a manual washer.

#31 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-07-23 02:29 PM | Reply

Kelp grows two feet a day. How many straws can you make from one kelp plant? But kelp is coastal.

There is plenty of seaweed that isn't.

Imagine what would happen if we air-dropped fertilizer into the Sargasso Sea.

That's a lot of straws.

#32 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-07-23 03:06 PM | Reply

There is plenty of seaweed that isn't.

Imagine what would happen if we air-dropped fertilizer into the Sargasso Sea.

That's a lot of straws.

#32 | Posted by HeliumRat

No wonder republicans hate science. They suck at it.

When school made you feel stupid, the natural reaction is to hate people who were smarter, and to dismiss the academic subject as corrupt or unnecessary.

#33 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-07-23 03:13 PM | Reply

#33 Their is another way I can hate people? Need more.

#34 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-07-23 07:13 PM | Reply

--Government banning plastic straws

#27 | Posted by nullifidian

Geee... I guess if it didn't affect you personally then I guess it didn't happen at all then. Carry on.

Ignorance is bliss or so I hear.

ps
(there are more governments than the federal government)

#35 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-07-23 07:37 PM | Reply