Saturday, July 20, 2019

Bournemouth, England - A British woman was killed when an eco-friendly metal drinking straw impaled her through the eye after she fell in her kitchen, according to news reports. Retired jockey Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, was carrying a drink with a screw lid containing the metal straw in her home in Bournemouth, England, when she collapsed, causing the 10-inch stainless steel straw to pierce her left eyelid and her brain, USA Today reported. She died two days later at a local hospital from the traumatic brain injury, the newspaper reported. It's unknown why Struthers-Gardner fell, but the Telegraph reported she had suffered from mobility issues since a riding fall when she was 21. The accident occurred in November of 2018, but the coroner's office released more details about it Monday. Police investigated Struthers-Gardener's death and Detective Inspector Wayne Seymour told the Telegraph it was "very unusual."

Comments

Can't use horrible paper straws. Can't use plastic... now we can't use metal. I guess we'll have to drink off the rim of the cup like savages.

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-07-20 08:39 AM | Reply

I guess we'll have to drink off the rim of the cup like savages.

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-07-20 08:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

If you do that you'll swallow the peanuts in your RC.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2019-07-20 09:16 AM | Reply

I fought the straw, but the straw won.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2019-07-20 10:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

Eco-fanaticism kills.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-07-20 11:10 AM | Reply

Too many strawman arguments to bother with a comment.

#5 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-07-20 12:55 PM | Reply

That's why I use metal straws with a bend in them. While they might gouge out an eye they won't be able to get to my brain baring some freak angle in the fall. www.amazon.com

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-07-20 01:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 What the hell is a RC with peanuts?

#7 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-07-20 01:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I think it's what they serve at CraZed's "Home" for an afternoon snack.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-07-20 01:41 PM | Reply

Being the UK of today, once their politicians read about this they will ban anyone carrying a metal straw as it will not be considered a deadly weapon.

#9 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-07-20 03:48 PM | Reply

It's Royal Crown cola - you open a single serving bottle and get a swig. Then pour in a small bag of Lance peanuts. Dang I thought everyone from the south knew this..

Next you're going to tell us you don't know the significance of an RC cola and a Moon Pie.

#10 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-07-20 05:33 PM | Reply

Went to Granite City brewing company in Davenport for lunch a couple of weeks ago, they gave me a paper straw. So the dumb asses cut down a tree to get out of using plastic. Genius! How about just recycle the plastic

#11 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-07-20 05:35 PM | Reply

"What the hell is a RC with peanuts?"

#7 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED

Pouring salted peanuts in a bottle(needs to be a bottle) of Coke, Pepsi or RC cola is an old southern thing. The peanuts float to the top. You drink the coke and eat the peanuts at the same time.

#12 | Posted by shane at 2019-07-20 05:48 PM | Reply

It's really quite good.

#13 | Posted by shane at 2019-07-20 05:49 PM | Reply

How about just recycle the plastic

Perhaps they recycled the paper?

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-07-20 05:53 PM | Reply

recycle the paper? Sure. The obvious is that they want attention for going Green when we know that straw goes in the trash no matter what it's made of.

#15 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-07-20 05:56 PM | Reply

Thank you Shane. You did what I set out to do.

#16 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-07-20 05:57 PM | Reply

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-07-20 06:01 PM | Reply

--I reuse plastic straws till they break and then throw them away. A straw usually lasts me a month or 2.

I do too. Just rinse and repeat. You can also throw them in the dishwasher. They last forever. The banning of them is asinine virtue-signaling.

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-07-20 06:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Confession. I don't drink soda, never have. I figured RC = Richard Cranium = Dick Head + nuts.

#19 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-07-20 08:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I admit I went and tried this.
But since this is San Diego I poured pepitas into a Mexican Coke.
Ay, caramba, mi ojo!

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-07-20 08:51 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS AT 2019-07-20 05:35 PM | FLAG: The timber companies plant the trees to be cut down - renewable resource.

#21 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-07-20 10:44 PM | Reply

So the dumb asses cut down a tree to get out of using plastic. Genius! How about just recycle the plastic ~ LftHandThrds

Just get you a set of Trump straws.....
shop.donaldjtrump.com