Thursday, July 18, 2019

San Diego Comic-Con often has some surprises in store, and sure enough, this year has already delivered. Tom Cruise made an unexpected appearance to reveal the first trailer for the upcoming movie Top Gun: Maverick. The movie stars Cruise, who reprises his role as Pete Mitchell, now an aging fighter pilot Captain who has refused promotions and seems to prefer staying in the air. ... Alongside Cruise, the movie stars Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm, Glen Powell, Lewis Pullman, and Ed Harris. It releases in theaters on June 26, 2020.

Comments

When's the last time Hollywood had a new idea? Anyone remember?

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-07-19 12:24 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I would have liked the trailer if the script went this way at the end :

Commander: The end is inevitable Maverick, you kind is headed for extinction ...

Maverick: Perhaps ...

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-07-19 12:28 AM | Reply

I might watch it on Netflix. I really don't care for Tom Cruise as a person, but I've liked a few of his movies.

Vanilla Sky
Minority Report
Oblivian
The Outsiders

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-07-19 12:44 AM | Reply

- When's the last time Hollywood had a new idea?

Yeah, they're getting worse. But every once in while they make a good one.

Lars and the Real Girl
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
The Matrix
Bladerunner 2049
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Machinist
Shutter Island
Seven
Momento

Off the top of my head.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-07-19 12:50 AM | Reply

The majority of those movies you listed were from the 90s.

Also. Bladerunner, which I believe is the most recent movie listed, is a sequel.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-07-19 01:20 AM | Reply

Maverick taught me everything I needed to know about making the other guy look like a chump as the red light turns green. I even learned when to suddenly brake so the car chasing you shoots out ahead putting the fool at your mercy.

I look forward to more angry-driving tactics in part 2.

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-07-19 11:49 AM | Reply

This is so awesome. I nerded out over the trailer. It looks like they did a good story line while keeping the spirit of the first film in it. Can't wait to see this. Just hope it's not Iceman that the funeral is for.

Of course, people immediately turn to hate in comment boards. That's the 21st century standard.

#7 | Posted by humtake at 2019-07-19 12:01 PM | Reply

That opening sequence is either damn good flying or getting an assist from CGI, that F/A-18 appears to be well within ground effect that low (rule of thumb is wingspan above ground) so keeping it from bouncing into the sky and flying smoothly that low at speed is extremely difficult and dangerous.

The shots of Cruise flying are obviously in the backseat of a F variant but they do a good job of trimming the GIB equipment out of the shot for us purists.

Unlike some other pilots who realized that 90% of the flying scenes were contrived BS I enjoyed the first film but the trailer looks like it is going to rehash a whole lot of the first one.

P.S. All swabbies' sexual orientations are, at the very least, bi-curious.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-07-19 12:23 PM | Reply

When's the last time Hollywood had a new idea? Anyone remember?

#1 | Posted by nullifidian

That's why the big names want to stop services like Netflix from being nominated for awards.

I scroll through my Netflix and see title after title of Netflix produced movies and documentaries that are original and well done.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2019-07-19 08:17 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2019-07-19 12:44 AM | FLAG: Oh come one you forgot the one that put him on the way to his fame, Risky Business rocked! Also, I do believe that his best acting was in Collateral and The Last Samurai.

#10 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-07-19 08:47 PM | Reply

Also, I do believe that his best acting was in Collateral and The Last Samurai.

Agreed. "Yo homie... that my briefcase?"

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-07-19 09:06 PM | Reply

Collateral and The Last Samurai.

#10 | POSTED BY MSGT

Yeah, they were good. Hated Risky B

#12 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-07-19 09:38 PM | Reply

Neither... TFR (Terrain Following Radar linked to the flight control system. Pilot is just there for the ride.

Still... looks like a great movie... although you just know the NAVY would have washed him out for being too wing happy. Can only be a Captain till your third passover then your out... into civilian life.

Sometimes, they carry nuclear weapons.

ummm a Maveric type would be the last person you want to be doing that.

ohhh and there are now more female fighter pilots in the NAVY than when the first Top Gun movie was made...

So will see if there are any in this movie.

#13 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-07-20 12:06 AM | Reply

Considering how HYT for O6 is 30 years, and continuous service would land Maverick at 33 years, I wonder what Mav did for his three years of broken service? Flight school instructor and party animal over in north Florida til he got the itch to resume his commission?

I'll be looking forward to seeing maverick's last ride

#14 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-07-20 12:09 AM | Reply

He may have been eligible for a badassery waiver or extension.

Though I did see him riding a motorcycle without PPE (helmet, reflective vest, probably never went to motorcycle training), so that could help explain why he's been stuck at Captain. Lol

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-07-20 12:12 AM | Reply

Yeah, they were good. Hated Risky B

#12 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2019-07-19 09:38 PM | FLAG: Risky Business was not for everyone, bugt it was the movie that 'made' him. First time I say him is a movie was in the early 80s while stationed at Clark AB, PI - the movie was TAPS where he was one of the secondary characters.

#16 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-07-20 12:24 PM | Reply