Saturday, July 13, 2019

Simona Halep won her first Wimbledon title and crushed Serena Williams' latest bid for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam success with a devastating 56-minute display of athleticism.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The Romanian won 6-2 6-2 in front of an incredulous Centre Court, running after everything the American threw at her.

Comments

Sucks ...

I saw this poll where something 12% of men think they could score at least one point on Serena. They must be reliving their HighSchool days.

As a former college tennis player, I doubt I could ever return one of her serves, even in my prime playing years.

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-07-13 01:34 PM | Reply

We're they talking about Tennis, or the game of love?

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-07-13 01:39 PM | Reply

If that woman even looked like she was going to serve a ball at me, I'd run for my life.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-07-13 05:08 PM | Reply

They must be reliving their HighSchool days.

#1 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS AT 2019-07-13 01:34 PM | FLAG:

What sample group lol? The controversy stems from where they would end up in men's rankings. McEnroe said the Williams sisters couldn't crack the top 700. The Williams sister said no man in the top 200 could beat them. Braasch, ranked 203, beat Serena 6-1 and Venus 6-2 while drinking. Andy Murray just down at rank 214 in men's doesn't think he could get a point on either sister but hasn't played them.

#4 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-07-13 06:38 PM | Reply

Whoa, I would have expected the sisters to be able to hold their own against the top half of T200 men's players

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-07-13 08:05 PM | Reply

They should play. Set it up like McGregor/Mayweather.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-07-13 08:22 PM | Reply

Deflections aside, Halep played a great match. Nimble and fast.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-07-13 08:41 PM | Reply

I am sure you could block it back, but the 100 mph forehand down the line would be your undoing.

Halep herself says that she played the match of her life, considering how Simona was playing and the fact that Serena still isn't back from a fitness standpoint (not criticizing, she is amazing given the complications of her pregnancy), I was surprised that it wasn't even more of a blowout.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-07-13 08:53 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Not saying Mens tennis isn't better, just that the average weekend warrior thinking he could compete is off his rocker.

It ain't soccer ...

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-07-13 08:59 PM | Reply

Todays modern serve is incredibly hard to hit back into the court without some training and experience with it. My serve wasn't bad, but I am sure she could handle it easily.

People just don't understand the rotation on serves or the power women hit with these days.

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-07-13 09:01 PM | Reply