Friday, July 12, 2019

It's one of the most enduring urban myths of all: If you get in trouble, don't count on anyone nearby to help. ... Now, widespread surveillance cameras allow for a new method to assess real-life human interactions. A new study published this year in the American Psychologist finds that this well-established bystander effect may largely be a myth. The study uses footage of more than 200 incidents from surveillance cameras in Amsterdam; Cape Town; and Lancaster, England.

Comments

The study finds that in nine out of 10 incidents, at least one bystander intervened, with an average of 3.8 interveners. The more bystanders there were, the more likely it was that at least someone would intervene to help.

There is the 10% that act in any environment.

#1 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-07-12 10:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I am going with no ... the bystander effect is still there..
www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-07-12 11:33 AM | Reply

#2??? Your link shows lots of people intervening. Are you just trying to wedge in something as a con dog whistle?

In general, you boys would hate to admit we're all kinder and more caring than cons would allow us to believe.

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-07-12 01:57 PM | Reply

No, I think the bystander effect is there. Unless a person as a personal reason, something related to them, for them to intervene, they wont do it, especially if there's violence involved.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2019-07-12 02:42 PM | Reply

This is America!

Where I can believe what I want to believe no matter what the actual Reality is or what the studies show!

--boozo

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-07-12 02:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Humans aren't even built for combat.

Is it any wonder Most of us naturally want to stop suffering when we see it?

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2019-07-12 03:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 despite the clear evidence that you're mistaken?

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-07-12 03:18 PM | Reply

200 incidents all from security camera footage. Seems like one of the jankiest excuses for a study I've seen a while.

#8 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-07-12 03:19 PM | Reply

I see a pattern here where the folks who believe they're alone and vulnerable favor trump policies.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-07-12 03:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't often agree with Dr. Jones but I do agree with #8.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-07-12 03:21 PM | Reply

#10 Why?

#11 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-07-12 03:28 PM | Reply

#8 I would think this is a gold standard for measurement of real life events.

#12 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-07-12 03:29 PM | Reply

There is the 10% that act in any environment.
#1 | POSTED BY SNIPER AT 2019-07-12 10:58 AM

Yep, the couple instances where I needed help people pour in.

I am definitely one of that 10% and can respond during violence. I can't fight, but one time I did pick up a brick and made a threatening word. The six perps attempting to steal a purse dispersed instantly.

Often I wonder about this exact situation and why I constantly get the right help at the right time.

Military people respond instantly. Police, not so much.

#13 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-07-12 10:23 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by redlightrobot, I my experience, nothing deters the actions of an aggressor faster than the sound of a shell being chambered in a 12 gauge.

#14 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-07-12 10:45 PM | Reply

#14 First time I heard that was an Afrikaans guy, explaining some people speak Swahili and some people speak Zulu... but everyone speaks shotgun.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-07-12 10:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They didn't take a sample from New York City. Google "NYC subway fights" for more insight.

#16 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-07-13 07:40 AM | Reply

Military people respond instantly. Police, not so much.
#13 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT

Police are lawsuit and termination weary. One wrong move in an emergency situation that is slowly analyzed later, will not end well for LEO.
I don't blame them for standing down.

#17 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-07-13 08:33 AM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

Exactly. Boaz believes that others would not intervene, because HE would not intervene. And Republicans have very little empathy, so they cannot understand people who do (or don't do) thing that they themselves would not (or would) do.

Basically, Republicans believe people are naturally crappy, because they themselves are crappy and cannot imagine anyone being different than themselves.

(look at the things they accuse Democrats of... corruption, nepotism, being snowflakes, voter fraud, welfare fraud, etc. when, if you actually research it, most instances you can find it is a Republican doing these things)

#18 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2019-07-13 02:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

It's hilarious how people in one party accuse basically all people in another party of having no empathy, and other traits that they themselves often display. These people are the partisan hacks. Watch, now someone will come along and defend partisan hackery.

#19 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-07-13 10:59 PM | Reply

#19 Guess he was right about snowflakes.

#20 | Posted by JOE at 2019-07-13 11:52 PM | Reply