Monday, July 08, 2019

Alibi Lounge owner Alexi Minko said staff members, alerted by someone on the street, found the flag had been set aflame between 12:20 a.m. and 12:45 a.m. New York City police were already investigating a possible anti-gay bias crime after rainbow flags at the Harlem bar's entrance were torched just after midnight May 31, a day before the start of the city's Pride Month celebrations.

Comments

Hey Boazo,
Would you be upset if the Stars and bars were burned?
How about Russia's flag? How about the Teajadist snakeflag?
How about the Nazi flag?

Asking for a friend.

#1 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-07-08 06:52 PM | Reply

Burn American flag;protest; Burn rainbow flag; hate crime

Do you believe they were protesting rainbows?

#2 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-07-08 07:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

Boaz, Boaz, Boaz...you ignorant ----.

What the fresh hell is wrong with you?

Burning your own flag is NOT a crime. Burning someone else's flag is!

In other words, (I cannot believe I have to spell this out) if you buy a flag at the store, be it American or rainbow otherwise, and you burn it, then THIS IS NOT A CRIME . (unassuming you follow all other laws regarding burning things.)

Burn someone else's flag (and they don't want you to) IS a crime. And if you burn their flag because you hate them? Probably a hate crime, too.

#3 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-07-08 07:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

Boaz, ever find a noose in your mailbox?
Did you wonder what it meant?

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-07-08 07:15 PM | Reply

Donner nailed it.

I can burn my own property.

But, I can't burn your property.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-07-08 07:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I can burn my own property. #5 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

You should burn your copy of 1984 since you didn't understand it.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-07-08 07:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You should burn your copy of 1984
#6 | POSTED BY SHERP

Nothing conservatives like better than an old fashioned book burning.

"Can't have people thinking for themselves."
-Conservative Motto.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-07-08 07:35 PM | Reply

Do you believe they were protesting rainbows?

#2 | POSTED BY DEREK_WILDSTAR AT 2019-07-08 07:02 PM | FLAG:

In his world there are no rainbows.

#8 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-07-08 08:49 PM | Reply

#3 LOL still wishing we could react to posts with little speech bubbles like imessaging and we had one with a Batman POW! on it.

Because boaz just got bitch slapped.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2019-07-09 08:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#3 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY
#9 | POSTED BY JPW

Reading is Fundemental.

It maybe a crime, but according to the title and everywhere else in Boazs article is it a HATE crime.

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-07-09 09:26 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

It upsets me, greatly, when I see an American Flag being burned. Sometimes the price of free speech is costly and distasteful. But free speech is free speech.

What also upsets me are the "patriots" I see at their rallies with American Flags sewn on the back of their pants as pockets. Then they sit on the ground and grind the American Flag into the dirt. That also upsets me, even more than burning the Flag.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-07-09 10:42 AM | Reply

#3 I think that's a valid POV, Donner. The question is whether that theory applies across the board. If I purchase both flags, burn the US flag in front of Congress, and burn the rainbow flag at a gay pride parade, is either worse than the other? My POV would be "no" and it sounds as if you agree. I suspect many others would no, finding one to be more objectionable for one reason or the other.

Now...what if I have a Confederate flag and you tear it down and destroy it? Same rules?

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-07-09 11:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Crap. Donner and Clown beat me to it. This is destruction of property.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-07-09 01:25 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY MUSTANG GT

Excellent question. Very curious to hear Donner's answer.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-07-09 01:26 PM | Reply

It's already been answered:

"Burn someone else's flag (and they don't want you to) IS a crime."

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-07-09 01:30 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG

IF it is NOT your flag then do not tear it down or destroy it. You will have committed a crime if you do. If you want to go buy a rainbow or American flag or Confederate and then burn YOUR rainbow or American or Confederate flag at a parade in protest just make sure you have the proper parade/burn permit.

This is still America.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-07-09 03:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I am heartened by the comments in this thread.

#17 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-07-09 03:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good answer, Donner.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-07-09 03:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Me too, 'Stang.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-07-09 03:11 PM | Reply

Not in my opinion.

I'm sure you'll upset people regardless. But, it's your property, it's your right to burn it.

Same goes with the confederate flag.

I'd add, be smart when you pick your place to protest.

I wouldn't suggest burning the American flag in the middle of a military parade.

I wouldn't suggest burning the rainbow flag in the middle of a gay pride parade.

I wouldn't suggest burning the confederate flag at a Trump rally.

#20 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-07-09 03:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 4

#20 I was poised to give you a NW until I read your last sentence. It made me chuckle so you got a FF instead.

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-07-09 03:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Burn all MAGA hats. Maybe allow some to be removed first?

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-07-09 04:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

nevertheless, the 'hate crimes' debate is still fascinating and unsettled.

#23 | Posted by ichiro at 2019-07-09 04:37 PM | Reply

Poor ol' Boaz....

#24 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-07-09 10:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Poor ol' Boaz....

POSTED BY ANGRYDAD AT 2019-07-09 10:21 PM | REPLY

Yeah so much for his Alpha Male shtick.

#25 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-07-09 10:45 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by LauraMohr

Yeah...ol' tough guy tucked tail and ran from this one, didn't he?

LOL!

#26 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-07-10 06:57 AM | Reply

#26/#26 Not really - he'd have to be wrong. Nothing we discussed indicated that burning a rainbow flag, even someone else's rainbow flag, was a hate crime. That was the crux of the article. The discussion here was whether burning a flag was merely a property crime.

#27 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-07-10 07:33 AM | Reply

If these flags are your personal property and destroying them will not harm anyone/anything else; according to the 1st amendment, the flags are yours to do as you wish.

#28 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2019-07-10 05:04 PM | Reply

Burn all MAGA hats. Maybe allow some to be removed first?

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot

That would not teach them anything!

You know the old saying... at least in Texas....

If you build a man a fire he stays warm for the night, set a man on fire and he will stay warm for the rest of his life!

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-07-10 07:50 PM | Reply

The discussion here was whether burning a flag was merely a property crime.

#27 | Posted by MUSTANG

except... as I clearly said,

If you burn someone's flag because you hate them it could also be a hate crime. Burning stuff that belongs (or even they don't belong but you THINK they belong) to protected groups can be considered a hate crime.

"a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of their membership (or perceived membership) in a certain social group or race."

--googleman

#30 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-07-10 07:55 PM | Reply

If you're burning someone else's property then you are committing a crime, arson.

If that flag happens to have a Star of David on it or be a rainbow flag, it can be considered a hate crime. Especially when done publicly.

What was discussed up thread was about burning your own property.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-07-10 08:01 PM | Reply

"The discussion here was whether burning a flag was merely a property crime."

The issue that right-wingers don't like how hate crimes apply to minority groups and give them "special rights."
So burning a rainbow flag might be a hate crime, but burning Old Glory is a political protest.
This makes them think gays have a protection that they don't have.

They can't see the difference between burning the gay flag being offensive to gays, and burning the American flag as being offensive. Both are offensive to their respective groups.

The difference is when someone burns the American flag, they are burning the flag of millions of gay Americans too. But when someone burns the gay flag, the (straight) American flag remains intact.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-07-10 08:09 PM | Reply