Sunday, June 16, 2019

Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project: ASAP clients Suny Rodriguez and her minor son recently settled a first-of-its-kind federal lawsuit against U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for $125,000. The lawsuit sought monetary damages under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) for the mistreatment that Suny and her son suffered while imprisoned in border detention facilities, including inhumane conditions, threats of family separation, and coercive tactics pressuring them to abandon their legitimate asylum claims. When asked why she decided to file this lawsuit, Suny said, "I decided to bring this lawsuit because I wanted to bring to light the injustices against asylum seekers -- mothers and fathers who bring their children to the United States in search of safety. What happened to my family should never happen to anyone's family. I hope that other families will see my case and no longer be scared to stand up and tell the public the truth about what goes on at the border."

Comments

FTA

"On January 16, 2015, they arrived in Rio Grande City, Texas, and got picked up by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Rafael was separated from the family, without explanation, and taken to a facility in Pearsall, Texas. He didn't see his son for the next eight months."

"I prefer the way Obama did it" - Snoofy

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-16 09:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"...recently settled [...] for $125,000"

I bet it all goes into a 2002 Honda Accord with wire wheels and a hood scoop.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-16 09:23 PM | Reply

Well, if we are going to have to pay criminals for breaking into the country, I guess I could be for not building the wall and just using the money to build a giant minefield and automated gun turrets at the border instead.

#3 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-06-17 01:25 AM | Reply

If they want to start showing malice toward my nation, then I do propose we stop them at the border. We owe them nothing. They are citizens of another nation. They should be seeking redress in their own nations. We shouldnt open up the American people to litigation like that.

This actually should hurt the immigrants cause.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2019-06-17 11:20 AM | Reply

We owe them nothing.

It's not about what you "owe".

It's not about who you owe.

It's about who we are as a People.

We are not you.

Thank Gawd.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-06-17 11:45 AM | Reply

Wow, more evidence that illegal immigrants DO cause harm to our nation and take up resources that could otherwise be used for bettering our country. For years Liberals have been trying to prove to the country that illegal immigrants cause America to be in a golden age, yet they release articles like this that prove otherwise (even though they are so dense they don't even realize they are doing it).

#6 | Posted by humtake at 2019-06-17 11:53 AM | Reply

We are not you.

And contrary to your thoughts, YOU are not the U.S.

It's about who we are as a People.

We are not about letting ourselves be taken advantage of as a people.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2019-06-17 01:09 PM | Reply

FTA
"I prefer the way Obama did it" - Snoofy

#1 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

You mean only separating people if they had committed serious crimes other than merely crossing illegally?

Yes, I prefer the way Obama did it too.

Any other idiotic comments you want to toss out today or are you back to writing your romantic fan fiction about your date with Trump?

#8 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-06-17 04:13 PM | Reply

We are not about letting ourselves be taken advantage of as a people.

#7 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2019-06-17 01:09 PM | REPLY

So. I take then that you are all about taking advantage of other people? Especially the poor and disadvantaged? Is that what you think we are about. Is that what you want? Terrorism? Terrorizing others?

I bet you think we as a nation have nothing to do with why there are immigrants in the first place.

Trump is the problem. People who think like trump are the problem. You are the problem. We created most of the problems in the three Mexico's but then refuse to take responsibility for our actions down there.

Kids in cages.

Is.

Not.

America.

Child separation will be remembered as a low point in America's history. Not a high point.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-06-18 09:10 AM | Reply

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they win and win BIGLY.

#10 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-06-18 09:15 AM | Reply