Monday, June 17, 2019

"She declared that she was going to attempt suicide, as soon as she did so, Diana Callahan turned around, pumps her fist three times in the air and, in a loud voice, says, 'Somebody owes me lunch!'"

Comments

Janika Edmond died by suicide at 25 at Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
--while her guards bet on her death.

#1 | Posted by ichiro at 2019-06-16 06:53 PM | Reply

Wow. That's right down the road from me. This won't end well for the guards around here I can guarantee.

#2 | Posted by bocaink at 2019-06-16 09:55 PM | Reply

"Callahan was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death and sentenced to six months in jail and two years of probation, Holly Kramer, a spokesperson for the Michigan Department of Corrections, tells PEOPLE. Kramer notes that Callahan and Moore were fired "for their actions.""

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-06-17 02:16 PM | Reply

I'm sure it is like this and worse in the immigrant concentration camps.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-06-17 04:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This is a casebook example of why conflicts of interest aren't acceptable in the government.

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2019-06-17 05:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Absolutely sickening. I think a lot of correctional facilities train their employees to be sociopaths.

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2019-06-17 06:13 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by JOE

It's a sickening environment. I don't think they literally train them to be sociopaths. But without proper training and education and attention they can easily become sociopaths. Being a guard and keeping your sanity is hard work. I was offered a really good job in the prisons teaching. I tried it out for a few months. I would not even do that for fear of what it would do to me. Much less be a guard.

I should have wrote a book.

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-06-17 07:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I should have wrote a book.

#7 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2019-06-17 07:10 PM | FLAG:

Do tell. It seems like guards, even if they start out with the best intentions, or just looking for a check, eventually operate like the most powerful gang in prison.

This series has been extremely interesting. Honest takes from a guy that did 9 years in federal prison for armed robbery, interviewing people that went to state and fed prisons for a variety of reasons. To hell with Scared Straight. Just have kids watch this.

Youtube: Fresh Out - Life After The Penitentiary

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-06-18 08:19 AM | Reply

Much less be a guard.

I have a friend that is a guard at the Sheriff's detention center. They stories he has a legendary.

One of his jobs was to open the mail and make sure the inmates are not getting nudes mailed to them so he would have to look to see if the photo was altered with a dry erase marker.

One of his last duties before heading to a new supervisor position was to supervise the visitor intake. One visitor had a cane and you had to check to see if was hollow. This man's was. It could be used to smuggle contraband or a weapon in, so he opened it. About 100 cockroaches poured out of the inside. They had to shut down the visiting area and call in fumigation.

#9 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-06-18 10:37 AM | Reply