Sunday, June 16, 2019

At 16, Huwe Burton confessed to killing his mother. He was still in shock from discovering her body when New York City police began to interrogate him. After hours of being threatened and cajoled, he told the police what they wanted to hear. He soon recanted, knowing he was innocent and hoping the justice system would clear him. Burton was convicted of second-degree murder in 1991 and received a sentence of 15 years to life.

Comments

false confessions are not rare: More than a quarter of the 365 people exonerated in recent decades by the nonprofit Innocence Project had confessed to their alleged crime. Drawing on more than 30 years of research, Kassin told the legal team how standard interrogation techniques combine psychological pressures and escape hatches that can easily cause an innocent person to confess. He explained how young people are particularly vulnerable to confessing, especially when stressed, tired, or traumatized, as Burton was.

#1 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-06-16 03:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

yeah.. confessing is not something you want to do. sorta' the same, I remember this episode of law and order that had a blurb at the end, supposedly an actual legal proposition, that said "evidence of innocence is not necessarily enough to overturn the legally arrived at jury finding of guilt".
so if you confessed and then recanted and the jury knew you'd recanted but accepted the DA's case based on the evidence presented...bye bye

#2 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-06-16 10:19 AM | Reply

"I choose to invoke my Fifth Amendment right to remain silent, and my Sixth Amendment right to counsel."

#3 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-06-16 10:23 AM | Reply

Same basic reason torture doesn't work...they tell you what you want to hear just to make it stop.

#5 | Posted by Lohocla at 2019-06-16 11:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It gets uglier:

Forced Confessions

Jim Can't Swim

#6 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-06-16 05:47 PM | Reply

I had a couple of -------- cops once try to extract a confession from me.

I gave them a chance to back off and when they didn't I made it clear I wouldn't be speaking to them further and that I would be speaking to my lawyer and then speaking with their employer about letting them go.

They didn't like it but they realized they had bitten off more than they could chew.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2019-06-16 08:53 PM | Reply

Young people tend to submit to authority. There is a correlation between how old you are and how likely you are to invoke your right to remain silent. Because that is all it takes. Once you clearly invoke, the interrogation is over.

#8 | Posted by moder8 at 2019-06-16 09:58 PM | Reply

I learned from a history book in high school that I didn't have to talk to cops without my parents present.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2019-06-17 12:49 PM | Reply

Our system was designed for it to be very hard to take someone's freedom. The beyond a reasonable doubt thing was intended to be a high bar to get over.

#10 | Posted by boaz at 2019-06-17 02:06 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR AT 2019-06-16 10:23 AM | REPLY

Say it forcefully. Don't mess around.
Less than clear exertions of these rights often don't work.

The bottom line: the best defense lawyer in the world probably can't get you out of your false confession!

#11 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-06-17 02:51 PM | Reply