Thursday, June 13, 2019

Tropical Cyclone "Vayu" in the East Arabian Sea has intensified as ‘Very Severe Cyclonic Storm' (VSCS) and is currently located at a distance of about 725 km from Karachi. It is likely to continue to move in northerly direction. The maximum sustained surface winds are 135-145 km/hour gusting to 160 km/hour around the system centre.

Comments

Yeah baby. Coming right at me.

i.postimg.cc

Will my welding survive? Will the solar panels survive? Will I still get power while everyone else has been knocked out?

The Ultimate Test of Tremain's engineering skillz! If this makes it through a cyclone... I can make/create bloody ANYTHING!

Bring it on!

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-13 01:55 AM | Reply

The Universe dares to work against me?

Frak the universe.

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-13 01:56 AM | Reply

We're moving to the sunny Southwest in 3 or 4 years. We'll definitely have solar panels and battery banks installed if they aren't already in the house.

#3 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-06-13 05:13 AM | Reply

I didn't know Texas was already in hurricane season.

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-06-13 06:52 AM | Reply

There are many many many things you do not know nor will you ever know. Just know that I know that you do not know.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-13 09:01 AM | Reply

Yep... as I suspected, batteries are not charging so good. Been cloudy all morning.

They are charging but just a little less than needed to offset the drain I am putting on them. (solar panels will still charge your batteries on cloudy days if you don't put too much drain on them or if you have like 2 dozen panels)

If this keeps up for two-three days, I'll have to charge them with grid power.. every 3 days until the sun comes back.

Fortunately I have an excellent battery charger for such eventualities.

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-14 07:29 AM | Reply

i.postimg.cc

Drawing 5.8 amps... DC powered fans and lights are very efficient. LOL

Batteries charged to 12.8... At this time the normal voltage is usually 13.4... but it's still OK. As long as it doesn't continue for like 3-4 days.

#7 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-14 07:42 AM | Reply

Sun just came out for 5 minutes.... instant ZAP to 13 volts... yay!!!

#8 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-14 07:46 AM | Reply

Drawing 5.8 amps...

The picture shows, 10 amps coming in (because it's cloudy) and 5.8 amps going out.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-14 07:52 AM | Reply

i.postimg.cc

13 Volts and climbing.... incoming amp, 13.2... and this is when the sun is hitting the panels at an angle. LOL

I have around half an hour of effective power generating sunlight left. But I'm safe.

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-06-14 08:04 AM | Reply