Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Memorial Day is past and the 4th is rapidly approaching. Post your BBQ plans, tried and true recipes or up and coming experiments! And a preemptive ^&#$ing *&#^@ *#&$*# ))@&$ to whoever mentions Trump, Pelosi or any other politician!

Comments

I wisely (meaning foolishly) agreed to do a Whole 30 with my SO starting July 1, which means no sugar (even "natural" sweeteners such as agave or honey) can be added to any of our food. Sooooo I'm at a bit of an impasse as most BBQ rubs use sugar of some sort for color and bark formation and that can't be used, but she loves BBQ too much to just not use the smoker for a whole month.

Anybody have any rub or marinade suggestions that don't use sugar or sweeteners of any kind?

We've been using memphis dust as our go to (amazingribs.com) but this has brown sugar as its base.

Alternatively, has anybody simply left the sugar out? Does the rub still taste the same or similar?

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 10:37 AM | Reply

No sugar?

If you are using a rub recipe that calls for sugar try substituting equal quantities of the following:

Cinnamon, nutmeg, anise and allspice.

If your recipe calls for 4 TB of sugar you'd want 1 TB of each of the ingredients I listed. Any one of those as a 1-1 substitute would overpower the rub, but taken together they'd provide a "sweet-ish" substitute for sugar.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 10:48 AM | Reply

You had to know this thread would be a Pied Piper for me, BTW.

It's threads like this one where I really miss Goatman. He rocked the food threads.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 10:49 AM | Reply

As for sauces, do molasses, maple syrup (the real stuff, not corn syrup) or honey qualify as sweeteners?

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 10:51 AM | Reply

My wife and I are currently dieting so high-fat/high collagen meats are in short supply at the moment.

Next Friday I am smoking up some pulled pork for a grad party. A couple of weeks ago when I was burning hickory in the offset I threw in some canned whole tomatoes that I pureed and froze. I'll be thawing this over the weekend and it will serve as a base for my KC sauce.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 10:53 AM | Reply

In California, we save the planet by eschewing burgers in favor of grilled tofu kabobs. It's easy. Just marinate tofu cubes in teriyaki sauce, thai curry, indian curry, etc., stick on skewers and grill.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-06-12 10:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

What's this "bbq season" that you speak of?

I live in northwest Ohio and I run my smoker from May 1st - April 30th.

#7 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2019-06-12 11:02 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

That sounds really good.

Tofu is vastly under-rated.

It has a mild flavor and absorbs flavors like a sponge - you can make it taste like whatever you want.

I found tofu pasta at the grocery store and when I scanned the bar code it came up as 0 points on the Weight Watchers app.

This was about a year ago. So, I whipped up a nice marinara sauce, crossed my fingers about the tofu noodles and my wife and I had "spaghetti".

From a flavor standpoint the noodles were fine. Texturally I preferred regular spaghetti but dang, for zero points these tofu noodles were just fine.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 11:06 AM | Reply

I live in northwest Ohio and I run my smoker from May 1st - April 30th.

#7 | POSTED BY MRSILENCEDOGOOD

I keep my 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain and my 18.5" Weber Jumbo Joe in the garage and during winter (I live one state north of you) I pull them just outside the garage door and grill/smoke all winter long. They are resting now.

On my patio I rotate between my 26.75" Weber kettle (I moved the 22.5" Performer kettle to my parents' place "Up North"), the Pit Barrel Cooker and the Oklahoma Joe Highland offset (when I want to cook with splits in lieu of charcoal).

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 11:09 AM | Reply

@#1 ... Whole 30 ...

Is Whole 30 a current diet fad? Over the past month, a couple of people I know have been talking about doing it.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-06-12 11:12 AM | Reply

--It has a mild flavor and absorbs flavors like a sponge

Doesn't have much flavor at all. Try pork burgers. The seasoning possibilities are endless. You can appropriate any culture's spice mix.

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-06-12 11:16 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Have you tried spaghetti squash? I was surprised that I actually liked it.

#12 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-12 11:20 AM | Reply

Have you tried spaghetti squash? I was surprised that I actually liked it.

#12 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Yes. It was pretty good.

Our local grocery store is selling zucchini/summer squash "spaghetti" this week.

Last night I put together a tangy greek yogurt based sauce that I'm going to apply to some chicken breasts that I dry brined.

I'll be using the offset and will run it hot. With the sauce on the chicken it will easily get dark and pick up rich smoke flavor.

I am going to briefly sautee the zucchini/squash spaghetti in a cast iron skillet (I'll use the offset as the heat source for the skillet) and will lightly coat the 'noodles' with pesto and will toss them with chick peas, black olives and feta.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 11:24 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

whole30.com

I just looked it up. My brother-in-law would describe this as "the caveman diet".

They lost me with this though:

Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking.

Given his reputation on this site I can't believe JPW will adhere to that.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 11:27 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I'm doing turkey burgers for my wife and mother-in-law this weekend. Because the meat is 99% lean I'll form the patties, will cook them Sous Vide and then will sear them on the grill. They should stay moist being cooked that way.

#15 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 11:29 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I have always enjoyed Cat Cora's Greek burgers .. like a gyro .. deconstructed tzatziki sauce.

I broke out the GreenEgg and did my Puerto Rican pork shoulder, which I know you enjoyed.

Hope you are well.

#16 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-12 11:33 AM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Yeah typically add an egg, and some crumbs on turkey or chicken burgers... no need to boil them in water :-)

#17 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-12 11:34 AM | Reply

Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking.

It did say Fruit juice :)

#18 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-12 11:36 AM | Reply

I was also asked to post Goatman's 3 day chili recipe. Here it is, however, I recently moved and haven't been able to locate the recipe notes I took years ago. So this is from my memory of how I've made it on several occasions, so there are some modifications I made myself that will be in there that I'll try to point out.

6-8 roma tomatoes
2-3 onions
4-6 jalapenos (according to taste)
2-3 ancho chilis
**can add additional peppers depending on desired heat level; I've used serranos (3-4) and habaneros (3)
2-3 head of garlic, roasted (cut off top of garlic head, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt and wrap in foil; roast in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes)
2lbs beef or pork (I like to use a 1:1 mix of beef and pork)
Mexican beer (I prefer Dos Equis American lager [green bottle])
beans of choice (I use dried pinto beans rehydrated over night in refrigerator)

Day 1

Cut tomatoes in half length wise and onions in half width wise and place cut side up. Leave roots/ends on until after smoking is done. Cut jalapenos in half length wise and remove seeds and membranes. If you want more heat, reserve seeds but discard membranes. Smoke veggies for 2.5-3 hours with mesquite at 225-250 degrees.

Rehydrate ancho chilis in water while veggies are smoking, then remove stems and seeds. Reserve seeds and cut flesh into roughly 1" squares. To avoid losing all that flavor, I strained the water used to rehydrate the chilis and added it while blending.

Blend all veggies, roasted garlic and ancho chili flesh together. I had to do this in several batches. Once all is blended and mixed, add reserved seeds, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Day 2

In a dutch oven, add ~1 tbsp of olive oil then brown the meat in batches. Once done, add all meat and blended veggies to the pot. Slowly add one beer (will foam like crazy) and water up to desired level. Bring to a boil and then simmer for ~4 hours. Replace lost water with an additional 2 beers (up to three total), then with water after three beers have been used. Add beans for final 20-30 minutes. Once cooked, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Day 3

Heat and serve. I think Goatman mentioned adding some corn starch or flower at this point if you want to thicken it up a bit. I've always just left it as I tend to be veggie heavy and water light.

This stuff freezes really well. I usually make a batch in the autumn and freeze it so that I can take out a large tupperware's worth and have two dinners or a dinner and lunch. Perfect deep winter food.

If I find the recipe notes I have I'll revise this assuming it's still up.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 11:47 AM | Reply

I plan to smoke a pork belly and a brisket/or other

#20 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-06-12 11:49 AM | Reply

#2 | Posted by JeffJ

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

I know the sweet is good for balancing the salt, which is why I'm thinking I might just have to switch over to marinades. Maybe Carolina type as vinegar takes the heat of red pepper flakes really nicely.

You had to know this thread would be a Pied Piper for me, BTW.

Oh I knew that LOL. Figured it would be nice to get away from the bickering and trade some recipes and ideas.

Goatman was great for threads about cooking. Also photography and astronomy. Not only do I miss certain posters sometimes but also the much higher abundance of non-political threads the DR used to have.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 11:50 AM | Reply

^&#$ing *&#^@ *#&$*# ))@&$

Using regex in the thread? :p

#22 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-06-12 11:51 AM | Reply

#10 | Posted by LampLighter

She's been doing it on and off for the 3 years I've known her.

My understanding is that, basically, it's a diet that keeps you away from carbs and sugars overall. No rice, legumes, honey, alcohol, grains ect. It's basically protein and simply cooked or raw veggies and fruit. I'm not sure how it differs from Paleo as I'm not exactly a diet guru but it's supposed to be simple and fresh food oriented.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 11:53 AM | Reply

Have you tried spaghetti squash? I was surprised that I actually liked it.

#12 | Posted by SheepleSchism

I recently acquired a spiralizer to try that. I've had it in restaurants and was very pleased with it as a pasta substitute.

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 11:54 AM | Reply

Given his reputation on this site I can't believe JPW will adhere to that.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ

While I am certainly guilty of drunk posting from time to time, most of the time the accusation is used because it's easier to accuse me of being drunk than it is to admit one is being a duplicitous and intellectually dishonest poster.

#25 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 11:56 AM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY JPW

The spiralized squash works pretty well, IMO.

They make stainless tray's you can put on the grill too..

I have seen these copper mats. Anyone try these ...
www.amazon.com

#26 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-12 11:57 AM | Reply

They make stainless tray's you can put on the grill too..

I have one that I use for my veggies.

I'll have to try those copper mats. My only concern would be the increased surface area would = increased sticking.

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 11:59 AM | Reply

I'll have to try those copper mats.

If you get them let us know how it goes, I might order some too..

I worry, I like to shake the stainless tray rather than turn everything (spirals get all pasta like), and pick it up and put in the bowl for serving...

Not sure the benefits of the mat out weigh the loss in functionality.

#28 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-12 12:13 PM | Reply

My only concern would be the increased surface area would = increased sticking.

True ...

#29 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-12 12:13 PM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY JPW

I know.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 12:15 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

My wife has a mild allergy to eggs. :-(

The bread crumbs would defeat what my mother-in-law is trying to accomplish.

#31 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 12:16 PM | Reply

It depends on what you are cooking. You will get a lot more bark with a spice rub for low/slow meats - pork butt, brisket, ribs, etc.

In Texas a salt/pepper only rub is common and Texas is renowned for its Q.

An Eastern Carolina sauce for a marinade should work well. Like you said, the vinegar and red pepper flakes will provide plenty of pop. Just be careful with that type of marinade. Too long and the vinegar will make the meat somewhat mushy as it breaks it down. I wouldn't go more than 4 hours with it.

#32 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 12:21 PM | Reply

I've got three smokers and I'll cook things just to give it away. I find it very relaxing. I've been very happy with my Green Egg and use it as my "goto" smoker.

Any of you tried BBQ spaghetti? I was very skeptical, especially with all the sugar it calls for, but I was pleasantly surprised. Had it the last time I was at Memphis in May. BBQ nachos work too – but make your own chips.

#33 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2019-06-12 12:25 PM | Reply

Jeff, have you tried the northern Alabama sauce? It is vinegar/mayo/horseradish based. Great on chicken or pulled pork. Google Big Bob Gibson. That's the one I make.

#34 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2019-06-12 12:43 PM | Reply

Any of you tried BBQ spaghetti?

My 22" Performer (which I recently relocated) has a grate where the middle can be popped out. I have a cast iron wok that drops into the opening and sits right on top of the charcoal and it cooks very fast. I've done a number of noodle dishes using this and always liked the results. I need to get that grate for my 26" kettle.

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 12:43 PM | Reply

Thanks JPW.

#36 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2019-06-12 12:43 PM | Reply

#34 | POSTED BY JIMDUNCAN

I have not tried that. I'll check in to it. Thanks for the tip, Jim.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 12:44 PM | Reply

I use my Weber mostly for pizza. My wife got me an attachment a few years back that really puts out the heat. Might have to fire that up this weekend.

#38 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2019-06-12 12:49 PM | Reply

Since diet was brought up, consider intermittent fasting. It sounds ugly, but much easier than you'd think. I started to help with my blood sugar and my numbers have come down quiet a bit. I usually go one day a week, but have done as much as three. The author of the book I read was doing weeks. I don't see that happening.

#39 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2019-06-12 12:58 PM | Reply

#38 | POSTED BY JIMDUNCAN

If it's the "Kettle Pizza" accessory, I have it as well and used it on Mother's Day.

Intermittent fasting? I'll do a little research on it...

#40 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 01:21 PM | Reply

I use my Weber mostly for pizza.

Recently bought a kit (oversized spatula, pizza stone) from Weber for grill pizzas.

Really looking forward to trying that out and, honestly, wouldn't have ever though to try making pizza on the grill.

Intermittent fasting? I'll do a little research on it...

You can also go for defined time periods every day, which is what I do inadvertently.

I basically only eat from noon to 7pm or so. Only eating a light lunch and medium sized dinner, always between those hours, keeps me on my hunger toes the rest of the time.

#41 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 01:58 PM | Reply

#41 | POSTED BY JPW

That was the first variant I discovered when I Googled it.

It's an interesting theory. I may give it a try.

If you are going to cook the pies directly on the stone I recommend preheating the stone for about an hour at 500-550 and then transferring it to the grill. Doing that will help ensure that your crust picks up good color on the bottom and cooks all of the way through.

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 02:01 PM | Reply

Eat- 12p-7p
Drink Booze- 7am-6:59am
-JPW

(What was it somebody used to call you that didn't make sense...It was a take off on your initials and it still was wrong. --------- or something equally dumb, but I'd still laugh because it was so stupid)

#43 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-06-12 02:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Corky used to call me ----------------.

That's the only one I remember.

#44 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-12 02:54 PM | Reply

#19 | Posted by jpw

This is what I copied and saved to a word processing file.

Chili

Day before:

Cut about 10 medium sized tomatoes in half. Cut about 3 medium onions in half and peel. Cut 3 or 4 poblano chilis in half and deseed. According to your taste, do the same with jalapenos and/or serranos for heat.

After smoker is prepared,(I think mesquite wood is best) put all veggies in, cut side up -- especially tomatoes. You don't want to lose their liquid. Smoke for at least an hour -- up to two depending on intensity of smoker and heat. Roast about 2 or 3 heads of garlic in oven using whatever method you desire (I cut the top off, drizzle with olive oil wrap them in tin foil so they look like a giant hershey's kiss, and bake for 30 minutes) Take veggies out of smoker taking care not to lose tomato liquid.

While veggies are smoking, cut the tops off of about 4 or 5 dried ancho chili peppers and shake the seeds out. Reserve the seeeds. Cut chilis (they are tough) into app 1 or 2 inch pieces. These are the crimson colored chilis you see on on strings. Allow veggies to cool. Remove garlic cloves from foil and skins. Put all in a blender with the chilis. Puree all. Add reserved seeds. (you don't want them pureed)

Second day.

I do this outside over a fire on in a cast iron pot or dutch oven and tripod, but it can be done inside of course. Cube (about the size of dice) about 2 lb each of cheap beef and pork. Brown intensely to render all fat from meat, but do not discard (yet). Add tomato puree. Note: Since puree is not an exact known amount, you may need more meat or less puree. Use your judgement. Cook slowly for at least 3 hours, adding beer as necessary to compensate for evaporated liquid. Do not exceed three beers. Start using water. Salt as desired.

When meat is sufficiently tender, scoop off fat and serve. Beans are optional of course (I won't get into that fight! LOL) but if used I suggest making them from dried pintos starting the day before for soaking, of course, then cooking and adding the last hour or so.

I've won a couple of contests with this one. It's good.

Posted by goatman at 2012-08-19 06:47 PM |

I forgot an ingredient. Crush just shy of a tablespoon of whole cumin seed in a mortar and pestle. Put in with the puree to further reduce. Also add black pepper if you desire.

Posted by goatman at 2012-08-19 06:54 PM

#45 | Posted by et_al at 2019-06-12 06:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I remember that post. Told myself I'd make it one day. But forgot to copy it and save it.

Now I get a second chance.

Thank you, Et_Al.

#46 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-12 06:18 PM | Reply

And of course, a thank you to Goat.

May he be well.

#47 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-12 06:19 PM | Reply

I just read JPW's #19, I'll save it with #45.

#48 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-12 06:24 PM | Reply

I just copied that too...looks like a keeper!

I check in occasionally on facebook...Goat's living' large with the grand babies.

Traveling, camping, cooking, and doing grandad stuff.

#49 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-12 06:27 PM | Reply

Good stuff, glad he's well.

#50 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-12 06:30 PM | Reply

I also just bought a Joule. Haven't used it yet, but want to try steaks and eggs. Anyone have any recommendations?

#51 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2019-06-12 06:54 PM | Reply

I'm not familiar with it, Jim.

#52 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-12 08:00 PM | Reply

It's a sous vide devise. Keeps the water at a constant temperature.

#53 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2019-06-12 08:08 PM | Reply

Lamb chops and any beef.
I love the sous vide. I have an anova, but they are all good (friends and family all have different brands....some are app only and those seem to be the ones people dislike due to inconvience only).

I did carrots because it seemed to be all the rage and I wasn't impressed.

#54 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-06-12 11:25 PM | Reply

Whole tenderloins, prime rib, and flank steak are my favorites for the sous vide.

It's my favorite gadget for the kitchen.

#55 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-06-12 11:27 PM | Reply

Real Men don't use 'kitchen gadgets' you coot.

They burn food until it's done. about 2 min.

#56 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-12 11:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I've done many pizza (pizzas? Pizzae?) on my Egg... works good since you can get it crazy hot but the only way to keep an eye on it is through the top vent which is a bit hostile.

#57 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-06-12 11:56 PM | Reply

It's a sous vide devise. Keeps the water at a constant temperature.

#53 | POSTED BY JIMDUNCAN

Ah! I have a Sous Vide device and don't use it nearly enough. I can tell you the steaks I've cooked with it were excellent. I've never tried eggs with it. The problem with cooking multiple proteins at the same time is the optimal temp for each is usually different.

#58 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-13 02:02 PM | Reply

On youtube I've seen videos of a bit of thin flame coming out of the top vent of a BGE.

#59 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-13 02:03 PM | Reply

#41 | POSTED BY JPW

Sounds like what I do when I wake up late and skip fixing breakfast before work, subsiding on a whey shake and coffee until lunch.

#60 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-06-14 04:21 PM | Reply