Sunday, June 09, 2019

The niceties have ended: 2020 Democrats are breaking their own pledge not to go after one another. The attacks of the past week show what a long primary they're in for.

Why it matters: These jabs and skirmishes show a fracturing Democratic Party -- exactly what some top Democrats wanted to avoid in order to maximize their chances of defeating President Trump.

Driving the news: Progressives and centrists are going at each other before any of them have stepped onto a debate stage. Pregressives attacked Biden over the Hyde Amendment and John Hickenlooper and John Delaney got booed by a room full of progressives at the California Democratic Party convention for criticizing socialism, the Green New Deal and Medicare for All.

The bottom line: But if the last week is any indication, the gloves have come off and we should expect more Dem-on-Dem attacks to come. And the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee will enjoy every minute of it.

Comments

*Munches popcorn*

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-09 08:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Good. Let them get real. Trump isn't going to play nice. They shouldn't either.

If Biden wants to court moderates, he's going to get called out on it.

If Bernie wants to create "socialist" programs to help Americans, let him be branded a socialist.

Will Elizabeth Warren ever escape her "Pocahontas" heritage?

Can Beto, Kamila, Tulsi, and the rest of the pack generate any interest?

Let's start vetting now. Because Trump is a horse of a different color.

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-09 08:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I knew this was a FakeLawyer thread just from the title.

#3 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-06-09 08:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That is exactly correct and out of all your questions, this one deserves and answer:

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-09 08:31 PM | Reply

I knew this was a FakeLawyer thread just from the title.

He does have a lot of "good" advice for the opposition.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-06-09 08:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I knew this was a FakeLawyer thread just from the title.

#3 | Posted by aborted_monson

And your efforts at putting it on the recent comments thread are appreciated. Thanks!

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-06-09 08:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

LOL, I thought I felt some moron gumming my ankles.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-09 08:35 PM | Reply

Shhh, If Aborted Moron had more grey matter than just a thick spinal cord to maintain his heart lung function he would realize that his ankle biting on threads that I post only serves to push them up in comment counts.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-09 08:40 PM | Reply

Wokamala: courageously answering questions

Q: Tariffs a potential tool that you would consider using as president?

Harris: "I would consider as President reading a briefing book. I would consider surrounding myself with experts. I would consider listening to the voices of the people who are going to be most at risk..."

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-06-09 08:54 PM | Reply

I understand you are.

I understand a few of our other right wing retorters would agree with you.

I'm wondering about how, somewhat more conservative moderates than you, would feel. After all, being right of center in California would get you branded a liberal in certain states.

Would Florida vote for him? Wisconsin? Ohio?

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-09 09:47 PM | Reply

"Is America ready to vote for an openly homosexual man who's last name literally has a "Buttigieg" in it."

I think that particular turn of fate makes it easier, not harder.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-09 10:08 PM | Reply

Aaahhh... the campaign has finally started in earnest. How do I know?

Easy, the Republicans start talking about the circular firing squad that is the Democrats selecting their candidate.

Yea, it's not pretty to watch, but politics is never pretty to watch.

But more to the point of this thread, I think this diminishes the Democrats in that it makes them look as if they are a clueless unorganized bunch of sniping morons.

Yet, they still win elections. So who am I to judge?

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-06-09 11:11 PM | Reply

Trump's hardcore base, no because they are idiots. Everyone else...way more than a majority in most States.

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-10 12:23 AM | Reply

Which means no, because she doesn't have the political will to do so...like GHWB, Clinton, W, Obama.

#14 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-10 12:25 AM | Reply

Trying to out Trump, Trump?

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-10 12:29 AM | Reply

@#15 ... Trying to out Trump, Trump? ...

Not at all. (and I probably could not do so if I had wanted to. I care too much about my honor.)

But to your point... The Democrats do this every major (i.e. Presidential) election cycle. It is what they do. It is how they do it.

The rigorous, lock-step Republicans cannot understand the concept of such a free-wheeling environment, so they try to turn it into a negative.

(and I know I have just opened myself up to some significant (and justified) criticism with that statement. Who will figure out what it is?)

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-06-10 01:05 AM | Reply

I don't think this primary will get nasty unless it gets close. During the '16 primary nobody took Trump seriously and the candidates below Trump spent most of the primary taking shots at each other and left Trump mostly alone.

If the Dem primary is going to be interesting the ones under Biden need to be attacking Biden to bring his numbers down and give themselves a chance.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-10 10:51 AM | Reply

Yet, they still win elections. So who am I to judge?

#12 | Posted by LampLighter

I think they often win in spite of themselves, not because they're good at winning elections.

Sometimes the populace gets too tired of the GOP, throws the Dems a bone and then goes back to the GOP after the Dems f--- it up for 2-4 years (talking Congress here).

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-10 01:35 PM | Reply

I think that is exactly correct, and is more a function of lofty idealism meeting pragmatic reality: The Democrats have always had more radical ideas that are incredibly difficult to enact while the Republicans try to be very simple (often to their detriment) in their policy positions, but much easy to put into legislation.

#19 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-10 01:44 PM | Reply

Sorry, that should be #18, but it also applies to #16

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-10 01:45 PM | Reply

It's much easier to take apart than to build something, especially a big, new something.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-10 02:28 PM | Reply

"#19 I would also say that much of the GOP's policy initiatives are about taking things apart."

It's mostly about cracking open the fat piggy bank which is the middle class.
But that's to be expected. Capitalists see a resource that can be profitably exploited, they exploit it, and move on to the next. That's how it's supposed to work.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-10 02:31 PM | Reply

At least they will argue about policy and it won't be a pissing match between nuke-hawks and inbred businessmen like the GOP in '16.

#23 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-06-10 02:37 PM | Reply

"Is America ready to vote for an openly homosexual man who's last name literally has a "Buttigieg" in it. Are we mature enough?
#4 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER"

Dems can't win if they carry less than 80% of the black vote. Dems can't carry 80% of the black vote running a gay male candidate. It really is that simple.

#24 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-06-10 08:48 PM | Reply

NBC News Announces Five Moderators For First Democratic Primary Debate - deadline.com

"I'm so excited I might pee my pants. GOOSEbumps!" - Chuck Todd