Sunday, June 09, 2019

A group of researchers in Canada says the game "dodgeball" shouldn't be played in schools, arguing that it's not only "oppressive," but also "miseducative."

Comments

Every sport is about mentally and physically dominating an opponent.

Even musical chairs involves weeding out the weak.

All of which serve as conditioning and preparation for conflict and war.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-09 12:03 PM | Reply

Is it "settled science?"

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-06-09 12:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Funny, as we called it fun back when playing it in gym class years ago. Libbies just try to take the fun out of everything.

#3 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-06-09 02:16 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Play is very interesting from a cultural perspective.

Dominating too much as a youth will leave you lonely, not dominating ever will leave you lonely.

Its about learning cultural rules, and getting along with people; sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, you don't go nuclear.

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-09 02:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

We should organize a DR wide dodgeball game. I'd love to slam ball off Nulli's head.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2019-06-09 03:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

-- I'd love to slam ball off Nulli's head.

You wouldn't stand much chance, FakeModerate. I was pretty good at dodgeball.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-06-09 03:05 PM | Reply

All you have to do is catch the ball and the oppressor who threw it is out.
How you gonna survive the social internet if you can't face a little dodgeball. In that game no one encourages you to commit suicide, like your Facebook pals.

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-06-09 03:07 PM | Reply

It's bad form to throw things at the old folks. Or require you all to exert yourselves too strenuously.

#8 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-06-09 04:13 PM | Reply

"IMO "play" is lost on youth and Millenials, they go nuclear whether losing or winning.
#4 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS"

^
You actually just described Trump Guzzlers.
Won the election, still bitterly unhappy about everything.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-09 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I suppose reflection and analysis have been important in my life from an early age. Back in my dodgeball days I'd purposely get hit early on so I could go sit down and watch the further carnage in peace. I'd study the opponents closely so if I went back in I would focus in on the biggest opposing thug and then clobber his brains in with one devastating shot.

Then I'd purposely get hit again and go sit back down.

#10 | Posted by ExpectingReign at 2019-06-09 04:33 PM | Reply

I used to love dodgeball.

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-06-09 05:34 PM | Reply

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-09 09:10 PM | Reply

I was really good at dodgeball when I was a kid. I'm sure I could ---- up pretty much anybody on this site.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-09 09:11 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Keeps swinging Snoofy with the homophobic comments; Lefties are killing the culture, its difficult to admit but I hear therapy will help ...

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-09 09:14 PM | Reply

"Keeps swinging Snoofy with the homophobic comments"

Homophobic comments?
Such as?
???

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-09 09:17 PM | Reply

Bullies liked Dodge ball.

Who'd a thunk?

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-06-09 09:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bragging on an anonymous blog, about being good at a childhood game is truly pathetic.

#17 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-06-09 10:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Dodgeball is not for fat people.

#18 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-06-09 10:06 PM | Reply

Husky kids usually excelled at Red Rover.

#19 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-06-10 12:21 AM | Reply

@#2 ... Is it "settled science?" ...

I'd say that it is not.

According to the cited article...

...The researchers discussed their findings, saying some students use dodgeball to dehumanize and harm their peers, in a recent presentation at the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences in Vancouver, Canada....

So this looks to be an initial presentation by a group of researchers to their peers.

Hardly "settled."

But it is part of the scientific process, i.e., presenting the result to your peers for feedback and commentary.

Based upon prior discussions, I had had the opinion that the original poster (OP) was more aware of this aspect of the scientific process, but I guess my opinion was wrong, and the OP disregards his/her knowledge in order to promote personal political opinions.

Oh well....

#20 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-06-10 12:45 AM | Reply

I got kicked off a leftist chat sight for not supporting pedophilia. They think it's just an alternative sexuality. I think I have a file photo somewhere of an Antifa march holding signs in support.

Dodge-ball. Whatever. Let's just rename it white male oppressor-ball.

#21 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-10 02:12 AM | Reply

Here's the photo: www.dailydot.com

There's a lot more if you check duckduckgo. Goggle not so much. At all.

#22 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-10 03:14 AM | Reply

Dodgeball is not for fat people.

#18 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2019-06-09 10:06 PM | REPLY

There's always shot put and softball.

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-06-10 08:19 AM | Reply

Make dodge ball an Olympic sport.

#24 | Posted by willsburrow at 2019-06-10 11:30 AM | Reply

There isn't a big enough palm that can slap a big enough face to express how absolutely terrible Liberals have been to natural selection. And the funny part is the Liberal party is the one who is supposed to be for natural selection.

"The researchers discussed their findings, saying some students use dodgeball to dehumanize and harm their peers"

This must be the one person in the entire country who has never watched anything on Youtube. If you watch Youtube and any subsequent shows (tosh.o, Ridiculousness...hell, even AFV), you can see that kids and adults use things no one every even thinks of to dehumanize and harm their peers. Sometimes it's for fun, sometimes it's malicious, and sometimes it's just because they are stupid. Kids use pencils...freaking pencils...to dehumanize their peers when they win. Kids use nickels to harm their peers' knuckles (unless that isn't a thing anymore but my knuckles bled multiple times because of this). All this is is another example of Liberals trying to stop our innate and VERY natural instinct to conform to natural selection.

#25 | Posted by humtake at 2019-06-10 12:28 PM | Reply

This is some MAGA self-victimization --------. Just a couple of right wing idiots pissed they were always picked last. Truth is, with or without dodgeball, incels would still become incels.

#26 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-06-10 12:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Michelle Obama to lead female celebrity dodgeball team in 'Late Late Show' face-off"

thehill.com

Oh, the humanity.

#27 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-06-10 10:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Classic projection.

#28 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-06-10 11:09 PM | Reply

I claim the small ball.

#29 | Posted by madscientist at 2019-06-11 07:31 AM | Reply

Why don't you poor little bun boys climb into your safe space for the rest of your pathetic lives?

#30 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-06-11 01:51 PM | Reply