Tuesday, June 04, 2019

It was May 2006, and I had just been swimming. I was on my way from my home in Hastings to work as a revenue executive for HMRC. It was raining hard, and the visibility was terrible. I was crossing the road when a white van drove into me and I fell, hit the side of my head, and rolled under a parked car. I have no memory of it. In fact I didn't remember anything from a year before the accident until four years afterwards; I began to work out what had happened to me from what other people told me.

Comments

Things like this happen to me all the time, so I thought I would share.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-04 11:25 AM | Reply

Cool!

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-06-04 11:57 AM | Reply

So did every other Frenchman.

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-04 03:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This actually happens somewhat frequently; there are current stories about a Croatian girl and an English boy waking up speaking German for her and Spanish for him.

In psych classes we studied a classic case of a woman waking from a coma singing a German lullaby, a language she did not speak. In the case study it was eventually found that she had a German nurse as a baby, prior to any language skills, who sang her that song.

Everything is still there, it just isn't always at the surface or even accessible.

The closest I ever experienced was the old life flashing before your eyes thingy... as I went hurling down a frozen mountain highway in a runaway 18 wheeler as a teenager. It was compressed time and quite vivid.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2019-06-04 05:52 PM | Reply

I woke up with a white flag in my hand, screaming "Mercy!", not "Merci!"

#5 | Posted by Spork at 2019-06-04 06:02 PM | Reply

Reminds me of that married with children episode where Kelly was a genius until she bumped her head in the Dodge.

#6 | Posted by willowby at 2019-06-04 10:56 PM | Reply

One word: "Radio Free Albernathy".

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-04 11:39 PM | Reply

-----!

#8 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-06-05 12:23 AM | Reply

Things like this happen to me all the time, so I thought I would share.

#1 | POSTED BY RussiaRat

Yeah except, you for wake up every morning speaking Russian.

#9 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-06-05 12:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

#9 hey it happens to the best of us. Or ussr. Whatever.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-05 01:20 AM | Reply

I woke up in 2021, turned the TV on and saw President Trump being inaugurated. Again.

#11 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-06-05 07:36 AM | Reply

Pretty sure I never woke up.

This is obviously a fever dream.

No way a Republcian President of the US would cooperate with and allow Russians to attack us and undermine our democracy unimpeded.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-06-05 01:55 PM | Reply

Did she also have an overwhelming desire to drink crap wine and smoke cheep cigarettes? I've been to France. I was not impressed.

#13 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-06-06 04:49 AM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

That is correct. However a demerat President would and did.

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-06-06 07:53 AM | Reply