Thursday, May 23, 2019

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg on Thursday tried his best not to directly attack the 2020 race's frontrunner, former Vice President Joe Biden. But he did offer some criticism of his record and argued that he hasn't earned the nomination just yet.

Buttigieg during a live interview with The Washington Post was asked about those who say that Biden has "earned the nomination" because of his experience, to which Buttigieg rebutted, "I think you earn the nomination by winning it. Nobody's earned the nomination in 2019." He went on to say that to earn the Democratic nomination, each of the candidates must not only present a vision for the party and for America, but also prove that they can beat President Trump.

He later cautioned that Democrats could "very well lose again" in 2020 if they're perceived as "replicating a system that let people down," although he insisted that he's "not talking about any one of my competitors" in particular.

Comments

I'm starting to think, based on his interviews and people's responses to him, that Buttigeig may be Biden's (and Trump's) biggest threat. I think that the debates will be interesting indeed.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-05-23 07:59 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-05-23 11:18 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM

------- son of bitch ---- sucking liar
~DrunkDialBloggingDanforth.

#3 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-05-23 11:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

I agree with you on that and I don't think Mayor Pete is a threat to Bernie, but would make a great VP candidate to balance out his ticket.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-05-23 11:26 PM | Reply

"Petes right but the lack of any policy also means mayor pete has not earned it either"

If it's policy you want, Warren has it in spades:

Slowly and Persistently, Elizabeth Warren Is on the Rise

In recent weeks, as most of the attention in the chattering classes has focused on Joe Biden's presidential bid, something interesting has been going on a bit below the surface: Elizabeth Warren has emerged as the solidly third-place candidate behind Biden and Bernie Sanders. That's evident in horse-race polls: In the Real Clear Politics average of national surveys, she's at around 10 percent, comfortably ahead of Kamala Harris and Pete Buttigieg, with the rest of the field (including the steadily fading Beto O'Rourke) not making much of an impression so far.

nymag.com

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-05-23 11:30 PM | Reply

I'd vote for Warren, but who are we kidding?

No way in hell the DNC is going to let her win jackschitt.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-23 11:42 PM | Reply

Warrens great and I would happily vote for her, but Bernie Sanders is even better than her in my book

#7 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-05-23 11:51 PM | Reply

Bernie is way better, but Corky and his minions will be along in 12 months to tell us to get in line.

My answer hasn't changed since 2016.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-23 11:55 PM | Reply

~DrunkDialBloggingDanforth.

#3 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

LOL. Interchangeable with JPW.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-23 11:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"------- son of bitch ---- sucking liar
~DrunkDialBloggingDanforth.

Wow.

I'm living rent-free in minds all across the DR.

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-24 12:16 AM | Reply

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-24 12:16 AM |

Oh I don't know I thought it was kind of funny and I have nothing against you, in fact, I agree with your posts most of the times

#11 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-05-24 12:20 AM | Reply

Not you...Mackris (S)he's just embarrassed for being called out as a bald-faced liar.

#12 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-24 12:23 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

I think he'd be a good VP candidate for whoever wins the nomination, if it isn't him.

It would put him in position to be a hard to beat contender in 2024 or 2028 depending on the outcome of 2020.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2019-05-24 12:38 AM | Reply

LOL. Interchangeable with JPW.

#9 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

LOL totally dude.

Hey look. You finally posted something that isn't immediately recognizable as a lie.

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2019-05-24 12:40 AM | Reply

#12 | Posted by Danforth

Lying POS. Let's call her 'Mackerel' from now on. Stinks up threads like a dead fish.

#15 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-05-24 01:24 AM | Reply

She/he's a lying POS...

#16 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-05-24 01:25 AM | Reply

Just because a candidate is gay, doesn't make him/her/it the best candidate. Biden is the next best thing we have to Obama. Biden stewed in the essence of Obama for eight years. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Biden pulled an October surprise and made Obama his VP running mate.

Yes, it is legal.

All Biden has to do is take it easy ad he'll win. He has all the qualifications.

#17 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-05-24 02:14 AM | Reply

I think that is all Biden can do, is take it easy.
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy

#18 | Posted by homerj at 2019-05-25 10:03 AM | Reply

#12 | Posted by Danforth

I am not embarrassed, you call every one a lair

It's hilarious, especially, I suppose, when you are drunk.

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-05-25 11:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--I am not embarrassed, you call every one a lair

And now watch the retort schoolmarm call you out for a typo.

#20 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-05-25 12:02 PM | Reply

"you call every one a lair"

Not you; you're a liar.

"especially, I suppose, when you are drunk."

I'll have to let you know if that happens.

#21 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-25 12:26 PM | Reply