Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Former secretary of state Rex Tillerson spoke with the leaders of the House Foreign Affairs committee on Tuesday in a lengthy session that, an aide said, touched on his time working in the Trump administration, the frictions he had with the president's son-in-law, and efforts to tackle issues like Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Comments

I remember when Rexxon was first appointed, to the shrieks and screeching of Corky and Gal Tuesday.

Now, miraculously, he schittz gold.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-22 02:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I remember when Rexxon was first appointed..."

Yep; you loved him. Now you hate him. And why? He's telling the truth.

#2 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-22 02:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When you get fired via twitter, you tend to have no love for the ------- that fired you.

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-05-22 09:13 AM | Reply

"I remember when Rexxon was first appointed..."
---
Yep; you loved him. Now you hate him.
#2 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

You hated him. Now you love him.

Personally, I respect his business acumen and think he might have made a fine SoS under a different administration.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-22 10:16 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Personally, I respect his business acumen and think he might have made a fine SoS under a legitimate administration.

#4 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

FTFY.

#5 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-05-22 10:18 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

OWS

FYI - I don't give out FF's as an insult.

#6 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-22 10:37 AM | Reply

I thought it was newsworthy that Tillerson volunteered to speak to the House Foreign Affairs committee. That doesn't mean I love the man. Did he testify under oath and did he bring receipts? If so, then his testimony could be important. If former insiders like Tillerson, McMasters, Mathis, Kelly and Cohn have relevant information to share about Trump and the inner workings of his admininstration, then I hope more of them will come forward.

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-05-22 10:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#1 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

I was also dismayed with Rex's appointment, but he actually ended up looking pretty good compared to the rest of Trump's freak show administration.

#8 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-05-22 02:27 PM | Reply

If Tillerson's testimony meant anything important, don't you think every Democrat, and their mouthpieces CNN and MSNBC, would be screaming bloody murder already?

#9 | Posted by Spork at 2019-05-22 02:28 PM | Reply

Under normal circumstances I would have probably opposed Tillerson.

Under these circumstances I thought it was good for America to have someone who 1) understands what "American interests" really means and 2) along with Mattis is one of two adults in the room.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-22 02:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That being said, and with hindsight being 20/20 vision, I agree that he and Mattis were the only adults in the room.

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-05-22 02:35 PM | Reply

Yep; you loved him. Now you hate him. And why? He's telling the truth.

#2 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2019-05-22 02:21 AM

I think he was better suited to the job than Kerry or Pompeo would ever be, and have always liked him.

You, on the other hand...

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-05-22 02:37 PM | Reply

Kerry was probably the best SoS of my lifetime. We should clone him and enslave him to the job.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-22 02:39 PM | Reply

It was obvious Tillerson and Trump weren't on the same page.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-22 02:40 PM | Reply

"I may be mistaken, but I don't remember anyone on the DR Left supporting any of Trump's cabinet nominees."

My reasons for not liking Tillerson pale in comparison to say Pudzer or DeVos.

Tillerson is not an anti-intellectual. This comes with that whole "being an adult" thing.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-22 02:42 PM | Reply

"Like I said, under a different administration I think he had the potential to be a fine SoS."

I think he was doing fine under this administration. Definitely better than his replacement.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-22 02:43 PM | Reply

Yep; you loved him. Now you hate him. And why? He's telling the truth.

#2 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

LOL. so much projection and mind reading.

My comment in #1 accurately described the flappy hysteria and chaos that ensued when "RExxon! OMG Planet Killer Oil Tycoon!!" was being screeched day-in-and-day-out when he was first picked for Trumps cabinet.

Like every other person that Trump associated with, and according to you loons was about to destroy the world, Rex now drops gold bricks from his ass, as long as it benefits your hysteria and Trump-hate.

You just hate being reminded.

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-22 02:47 PM | Reply

"My comment in #1 accurately described the flappy hysteria and chaos that ensued when "RExxon! OMG Planet Killer Oil Tycoon!!""

Not from me.

But it's telling, you have to put words in my mouth to try to make your point.

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-22 02:49 PM | Reply

"so much projection and mind reading. "

What a riot.

Now you have to pretend you didn't like Rex from the start.

#19 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-22 02:51 PM | Reply

Folks on both sides of the aisle were concerned about Tillerson's ties to Putin:

McCain: Tillerson relationship with Putin a 'matter of concern'

www.politico.com

Tillerson may have surprised a lot of people though, including Trump and Putin, by turning out to be a patriot, who put country over party.

#20 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-05-22 02:53 PM | Reply

Reasons for suspiciouns regarding Tillerson's appointment:

Russia praises possible Trump pick Rex Tillerson's 'highly professional manner'

Carter Page, an American energy consultant with ties to the president-elect who has criticised US sanctions against Russia, also lauded Tillerson on Monday during a trip to Russia. Trump named Page as one of his foreign policy advisers in March, but his campaign subsequently denied any connection to the consultant after reports that US intelligence was probing Page's ties to Russia.

"The US and Russia still have 99 problems to address at home and around the world. But this marks the start of a new era where they can now work on them together, instead of remaining consistently obstructed by a long history of toxic personal relationships," Page said of the expected Tillerson pick, news agency Sputnik reported.

Russian officials have greeted the possible appointment warmly.

www.theguardian.com

I repeat: Did he testify under oath and bring receipts? If so, what did he say? Everything else is just a deflection and a meaningless attempt to play gotcha.

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-05-22 03:00 PM | Reply

Some of us supported Mattis, despite his being a general. I knew he wouldn't let Trump inappropriately use the military without speaking up.

#22 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-05-22 03:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Everything else is just a deflection and a meaningless attempt to play gotcha.

#21 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

*bookmarked*

#23 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-22 03:14 PM | Reply

It's always amusing when the wingnuts default to, "You lefties were hysterical haters then, but you love him now," as if your opinion actually matters. Such a nonsensically shallow and immature argument. Every time. So far, this "argument" has been used for Comey, Cohen and now Tillerson, just to name a few (I'm sure there are more, but it's always hard to keep up with the wingnuts when they have to do their Fox-force 180's whenever Murdoch's minions sit on the couch and tell them what their opinions are each day).

It must be hard to get through the day without being able to understand nuance, and being unable to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Tillerson was a terrible pick for SoS. It's good he was adulting for the man-child in the Oval Office, and it's good that he's talking to the committee, but acknowledging that doesn't mean I have undying love and affection for the guy. He took the job, knowing who he was going to work for. Hopefully, he tells the truth.

#24 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-05-22 03:17 PM | Reply

But deflectors like ROC need to pretend that's what it means, so they can try to morph this thread into something about "you" instead of the bag of flaming ---- they defend and deflect on behalf of daily.

#25 | Posted by JOE at 2019-05-22 03:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I forget if Tillerson is the cabinet member who called Trump dumb, a moron, an idiot or said he has the comprehension of a 5th grader?

#26 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2019-05-22 03:23 PM | Reply

" the bag of flaming ----"
#25 | POSTED BY JOE

That's not an impeachable offence or indictable crime.

#27 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-22 03:27 PM | Reply

#27 I didn't say that was his only offense, numbskull.

#28 | Posted by JOE at 2019-05-22 03:30 PM | Reply

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case:

Everything else is just a deflection and a meaningless attempt to play gotcha.
#21 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY
*bookmarked*
#23 | Posted by SheepleSchism

#29 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-05-22 03:33 PM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY JOE

You would be describing Danforth's M.O. to a "T".

This thread is why ROC took a swipe at Danforth:

www.drudge.com

You won't find any similar insinuations directed at Gal.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-22 03:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I think he had the potential to be a fine SoS.

#14 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Why do you think so? I can't think of a single major accomplishment he achieved while at State. It wasn't just Trump he clashed with. He was also unable to work with many long time department employees and ended up driving over half of the high ranking officials out of government and he was inefficient at finding replacements. Even for something that should have been easy like finding a new South Korean ambassador. Best I can tell the only thing he achieved was to cripple the work of State for the next decade or longer.

#31 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2019-05-22 03:45 PM | Reply

"You won't find any similar insinuations directed at Gal"

Probably because Gal wasn't silent during the first two years.

#32 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-22 03:46 PM | Reply

"You won't find any similar insinuations directed at Gal"

Probably because Gal wasn't silent during the first two years.

#33 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-22 03:46 PM | Reply

It's the same absurdities every time: "now he schitts gold bricks" "now he's the messiah" "now you hang on his every word"

If someone you disagree with later says the world is round, you don't disagree with them just to maintain some f'd up form of consistency.

#34 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2019-05-22 03:51 PM | Reply

"You would be describing Danforth's M.O. to a "T"."

You're pretending keeping the same position between then and now is hypocrisy.

#35 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-22 03:56 PM | Reply

You're pretending keeping the same position between then and now is hypocrisy.

#35 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

That actually describes what you were doing.

Probably because Gal wasn't silent during the first two years.

#33 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Of course she wasn't, given which party was in power.

Here's the thing though - she wasn't silent during the 8 years prior to that, either.

#36 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-22 04:02 PM | Reply

LOL, I see someone is still upset over our discussions regarding release of the GJ redactions and the futility of Barr's Contempt of Congress. Too bad all the experts Nadler brought in to educate the Judiciary Committee agreed with my analysis.

Missing the point, as usual. No shade is being thrown at Gal (by me, which was Jeff's point) because she is NOT hyper-partisan and uses her brain to analyze all aspects of the problem.

#37 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-05-22 04:10 PM | Reply

I see someone is still upset

Nobody's upset.

#38 | Posted by JOE at 2019-05-22 04:23 PM | Reply

OK, all good then.

#39 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-05-22 04:31 PM | Reply

#7 it's sad you even have to say that.

But the lightweights have to shart something so they go with the "what now you love him" whinegument.

#40 | Posted by jpw at 2019-05-22 08:18 PM | Reply

"Of course she wasn't, given which party was in power."

Thanks for admitting you didn't complain because it was your party in power.

#41 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-22 09:01 PM | Reply

Thanks for admitting you didn't complain because it was your party in power.

#41 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

I did no such thing.

That is more projection on your part.

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-23 10:01 AM | Reply