Sunday, May 19, 2019

Olivas-Bejarano's parents left León for the United States when he was 2 years old. They ended up in Oklahoma, where Olivas-Bejarano and his U.S.-born siblings were raised. Growing up in Oklahoma, Olivas-Bejarano's parents had warned him that one day his citizenship might come into question.

Comments

Clearly living in Mexico is not the complete hell hole that some people make it out to be.

#1 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-05-19 12:31 PM | Reply

"Olivas-Bejarano says that, along with his young, educated immigrant peers, he has got a lot to offer Mexico."

A lot to offer America too.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-19 12:40 PM | Reply

Found this bit interesting:

"Eventually my neighbors would start calling me 'gringo,' " he says, amused. "Which is really weird to me because I always thought gringos were white people and then, here I am, obviously Mexican."

Is this a difference in attitude between local Mexicans and Mexican-Americans/expats?

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-05-19 01:31 PM | Reply

#3 Dude you have no idea. If you aren't from Mexico City, you aren't a real Mexican. These guys aren't snowflakes and racism is normal to their species.

#4 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-05-19 01:37 PM | Reply

" If you aren't from Mexico City, you aren't a real Mexican."

Never heard that one before. Usually it's the other way around. :-)

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-05-19 04:28 PM | Reply

Y'all should see the animosity between the native Tejanos and the Majados,(wet ones). It ain't pretty.

#6 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-05-20 10:18 AM | Reply

"These guys aren't snowflakes and racism is normal to their species."

Too stupid to realize his comment is racist.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2019-05-20 10:27 AM | Reply

#7 | Posted by danni The last time I was in Mexico, 1988, I took my future wife who was black. Yea, there is a lot of racism in Mexico. The Mexican also have a low opinion of los Indios, Gualtamainos, Cubanos, totas negoes, and los pallos, That last one is you grenga.

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-05-20 11:05 AM | Reply

Doc: Not that it detracts from your post, but your Spanglish sucks. 'Gualtamainos' is supposed to be Guatalmaltecos. 'Totas negoe' is supposed to be todos negroes. 'Los pallos' is supposed to be 'los palidos'. 'Grenga' is supposed to be 'gringa'. And above, in #6, 'majados' is supposed to be 'mojados'. Obviously you do not live in SoCal.

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2019-05-20 11:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh. My. God. You mean there are jobs and growth in Mexico? How did any DR Lib ever let this article be posted here? It goes completely against what extreme left-wingers have said. I mean, it's like a complete 180. All Libs on here ever say is that everyone is raped daily and gangs are killing every one of them every day (of course, they must resurrect or something because that logic has never made any sense). But this guy didn't mention he is raped daily or killed every day. GASP! How did this happen?????

#10 | Posted by humtake at 2019-05-20 12:14 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by moder8 Nope, I have lived in Texas most of my life. Yea, I lived and worked with Tejanos most of my life, and yes their Spanish is a little sub-par. I can only guess at the spelling from what I have heard in conversation. "Chenga" is probity the most common word I have heard.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-05-20 01:07 PM | Reply

"Too stupid to realize his comment is racist"

Or maybe he was being deliberately ironic or sardonic?

#12 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-05-20 09:44 PM | Reply