Saturday, May 18, 2019

Seventy-two per cent of Republicans oppose Western world's standard numeric system, according to research designed to 'tease out prejudice among those who didn't understand the question' Fifty-six per cent of people say the numerals should not part of the curriculum for US pupils, according to research designed to explore the bias and prejudice of poll respondents.

Comments

The digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are referred to as Arabic numerals. The system was first developed by Indian mathematicians before spreading through the Arab world to Europe and becoming popularised around the globe.

seventy-two per cent of Republican-supporting respondents said Arabic numerals should not be on the curriculum, compared 40 per cent of Democrats. This was despite there being no significant difference in education between the two groups.

#1 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-05-18 05:42 AM | Reply

"Civic Science's research is reminiscent of a 2015 survey that found 30 per cent of Republicans supported bombing "Agrabah", the fictional city where Disney's Aladdin is set."

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-05-18 05:48 AM | Reply

The system was first developed by Indian mathematicians

The system was first developed by Pakistani mathematicians... thank you very much.

I seriously doubt the clowns in what is now "India" ever created anything. Just watch a Bollywood movie song/dance number and tell me I am wrong.

Pre WW2 India was HUGE... it included Pakistan, "India", Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhuttan, Tibet, Burma, Singapore and parts of Malaysia.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-18 06:43 AM | Reply

Yeah... that's just sad.

#4 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-18 06:44 AM | Reply

Pre WW2 India was HUGE... it included

OOPS... I forgot Afghanistan.

But then everyone forgets Afghanistan. LOL

screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com

India of today wants their Empire back. This map is their pipe-dream.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-18 06:48 AM | Reply

72% of Republicans do what with their brains, exactly?

#6 | Posted by Zed at 2019-05-18 09:01 AM | Reply

"Nepal, Bhuttan, Tibet, Singapore and parts of Malaysia"

Not those.

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2019-05-18 09:02 AM | Reply

americans are retarded

#8 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-05-18 09:34 AM | Reply

I prefer Roman numerals. Metric system sucks.

#9 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-05-18 10:33 AM | Reply

Mr. Rogers once said he had to be careful writing shows for young children. They take words so literal.

You know...I have to wonder if liberals don't actually think like children.

I mean...they think it means something that people didn't know the actual name of our math system.

We used the word "arabic"....tee hee hee.

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-05-18 11:47 AM | Reply

Anyone with half...I mean...quarter...no...actually eighth of a brain...hardly any brain at all would know people thought they were being asked about the Arabic language.

That's no great secret.

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-05-18 11:53 AM | Reply

Y'all wanta' kill ya sum A-rabs? cut to the chase. Hell ya. there FTFY

#12 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-05-18 11:57 AM | Reply

I would correct J Tripps about India but it would be a waste of time. Besides this article was in the back page just the other day, wasn't it?

#13 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-05-18 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I say we take it one step further and ban the Arabic scourge algebra as well.

#14 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-05-18 12:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Actually, The first recorded zero appeared in Mesopotamia around 3 B.C. The Mayans invented it independently circa 4 A.D. It was later devised in India in the mid-fifth century, spread to Cambodia near the end of the seventh century, and into China and the Islamic countries at the end of the eighth.

Roman Numerals are important!

How else can you figure out the copyright dates in movies and TV shows??

.... or keep the many ROCKY movies in order??

#15 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-05-18 12:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yeah, bring back them Roman numerals...

#16 | Posted by berto42 at 2019-05-18 12:25 PM | Reply

Didn't The Man Show get women to sign a petition to end Women's Suffrage?

This is a troll poll like banning Dihydrogen Monoxide ^^

#17 | Posted by Wonderboylv1 at 2019-05-18 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Now that we got the abortion killers on the run, we gotta get them Muslim numbers out our Christian schools. Teach the kids real numbers, like the ones on the gas pump down at the Exxon station. That's why I'm a Trump man--he'll get rid of ALL them Arab numbers...
--Too many American voters

#18 | Posted by catdog at 2019-05-18 12:52 PM | Reply

What a bunch of morons.

#19 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-05-18 01:27 PM | Reply

"And I would venture to say most Americans would not want Arabic taught in schools."

Sad that Americans are so bigoted and closed-minded.

This is simply white nationalism.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-18 01:31 PM | Reply

The poll was sucker bait...and now the discord it sows shall like on in the internet ad nauseum.

#21 | Posted by visiter at 2019-05-18 02:30 PM | Reply

I get that religion has shht on your brain.

But. There was no Pakistan when the numerical system was developed.

It wasn't until a bunch of Indians decided the Muslim population and the Hindu population were unable to cohabitate that the nation split in two.

Now you know!

#22 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-05-18 02:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I say we take it one step further and ban the Arabic scourge algebra as well.

#14 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Well. You're a Republican. Republicans hate education.

Even the Bible punishes Adam and Eve for eating the apple of knowledge.

Now why would anyone want an uneducated mass?

Perhaps because they are easier to manipulate?

(Questions are rhetorical.)

#23 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-05-18 02:45 PM | Reply

There was no Pakistan when the

There was no "India" either. LOL

But Ah... the Iranian concept of history. Gotta love it!

Unfortunately, your nation is going to be trashed shortly. You'll then be free of stupid Iranian ideas, no worries.

#24 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-18 03:05 PM | Reply

Even the Bible punishes Adam and Eve for eating the apple of knowledge.
#23 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

Actually, It never stated, "apple" as being the fruit, and the correct name of the tree was, "The knowledge of good and evil".

- Now why would anyone want an uneducated mass?
Perhaps because they are easier to manipulate?

You've come to an inaccurate conclusion by presuming malintent.

#25 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-18 03:17 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

"Most anyone who doesn't want Arabic taught in schools isn't going to want Spanish taught either."

Spanish is already taught in schools and has been for decades.

#26 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-05-18 03:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Looks like comrade Bill Johnson is one of those 72%.

Idiocracy here we come, weeeeeeeee!

PS. @ the religiously insane Bill Johnson, don't look under your bed.
There is an Arab under there with a calculator. Scary stuff!

#27 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-05-18 06:28 PM | Reply

Looks like Comrade Bill Johnson is all for sharia law.......

As long as it is Christian Sharia law.

#28 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-05-18 06:30 PM | Reply

"Spanish is already taught in schools and has been for decades."

Wow. This is the thread where Billy J makes Sniper look like a Nobel prize winner by comparison. Well done.

#29 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-05-18 06:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Aborted,

"Looks like comrade Bill Johnson is one of those 72%."

Do the math.

It would appear quite a few democrats are part of the 72%.

#30 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-05-18 07:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

When Fob James was governor of Alabama he would not let "that foreign" metric system on the highway signs. So to this day we only have distances in English units.

#31 | Posted by TenMile at 2019-05-18 08:48 PM | Reply

Just for fun. Try mulitpying 35 x 94 using only roman numerals.

#32 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2019-05-18 09:06 PM | Reply

Just for fun. Try mulitpying 35 x 94 using only roman numerals.
#32 | Posted by SLBronkowitz

Using Republican Math that would equal a tax cut for the rich.

#33 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-05-18 09:25 PM | Reply

"Just for fun. Try mulitplying 35 x 94 using only roman numerals."

Bah! Child's play.

Long division, OTOH...

The republikan stupidification of America is proceding apace.

#34 | Posted by contrecoup at 2019-05-18 09:35 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson

Jesus wept.

#35 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-05-18 10:22 PM | Reply

Do the math.

It would appear quite a few democrats are part of the 72%.

#30 | POSTED BY comRade BILL JOHNSON

All of the whataboutism and deflection won't change the fact you are one of the 72%, and are religiously insane and supports Christian Sharia Law.

Trump is counting on gullible troglodytes like you for 2020.

#36 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-05-18 10:51 PM | Reply

Do the math.

It would appear quite a few democrats are part of the 72%.

#30 | POSTED BY comRade BILL JOHNSON

Trump is counting on gullible troglodytes like you for 2020.

#37 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-05-18 10:52 PM | Reply

There was no "India" either. LOL

Says the guy who claimed the numeric system was created by Pakistan.

A nation created because religion turned your ancestors into a bunch of idiots.

But Ah... the Iranian concept of history. Gotta love it!
#24 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN

*Yawn*

How boring and unoriginal.

My nation is America. Born and raised. Perhaps if you read any of my posts over the past ten years it would be obvious.

But. You literally have no response to anything I say but calling me an Iranian. So be it. Now what? You got anything else to say?

#38 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-05-19 01:48 AM | Reply

Angry,

You lament over a culture that kills gays and treats women like dogs?

Is you hatred for Christians so great you put that culture over America?

You support their language and culture being spread in the US?

#39 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-05-19 08:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Says the guy who claimed the numeric system was created by Pakistan.

It sure wasn't created by you Persian losers. LOL

religion turned your ancestors into a bunch of idiots.

Ummmm... I'm not from Iran... YOU are! LOL

Your rabid religion with your sick in the head mullas are going to get your country killed.

Any minute now....

My nation is America.

Like mine is Texas.

...YAWN....

calling me an Iranian

Why are you taking it as an insult? You should be proud! LOL

You got anything else to say?

I said all that is needed to show a lightweight his place.

Chill.

#40 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-19 01:38 PM | Reply

You support their language and culture being spread in the US?

Nobody is spreading Arab culture and language in the US... sheesh!!!

I guess you can count to twenty? Heavens fall when you get to twenty one? OK, you can get to twenty one if you take your pants off.... what happens at twenty two???

#41 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-19 01:44 PM | Reply

So. Not only is BillJohnson a homophobe, he's also a xenophobe.

The guy is a complete POS.

#42 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-05-19 02:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It sure wasn't created by you Persian losers.

No one claimed it was. Again. You made the claim the numeric system was created by Pakistanis. I said Pakistan didn't exist at the time, you lost your shht because I mocked Islam.

I'm not from Iran...

No one claimed you are. Do you have anything of substance to post? Or is kicking and flailing all you can provide?

YOU are!

I was born and raised in America. I guess its easier to claim I'm from Iran rather than actually respond to what I'm posting.

I'm not Muslim. How pathetic. All you got are straw men and accusations.

Fkkk Islam. Fkkk the Pakistani version and the Iranian version and every other version of that shht religion.

A religion that puts screwing goats over screwing women has something intrinsically wrong with it.

Like mine is Texas.

Cool.

Why are you taking it as an insult? You should be proud!

I'm correcting you. You're welcome to believe anything you want, clearly. But just some straightforward information for you. Take it or leave it.

I said all that is needed to show a lightweight his place.

Yea. You and your strawmen army really put me in my place.

I guess anything to deflect from your false premise that Pakistan has contributed something to society.

#43 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-05-19 02:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bunch of BS.

Adam and Eve were the first to multiply.

#44 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-05-19 03:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

One... mister "I failed history".... the numbers came from the Indian Subcontinent, not from "India".

Pakistan did not exist. Neither did "India". It was called "Bharat Varta" back then.

However, many of the advances we take for granted today came from what is now Pakistan. The people and the land.

Second, I did not lose my "shht". I simply treated you with disgust, like I treat all Iranians. Believe me it is normal behavior for me.

I was born and raised in America.

I was born and raised in Texas. LOL

I'm not Muslim.

I know. I have never considered Iranians to be Muslim.

Damned Iranian Shia....

#45 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-20 01:52 AM | Reply

All you got are straw men and accusations.

All YOU have is a very poor.. and wrong... version of history. The Bush/Trump/Trailer-Park version actually. LOL

THIS is called "losing your shht". LOL

You keep getting angry (like most Iranians) and then you project your mental disease onto ME??? LOL

I'm correcting you.

No, you are asking me to believe something you learnt in your madhouse Iranian schools. That isn't going to happen, I'm afraid.

Pakistan has contributed something to society.

Until the British took over, The Indian Subcontinent... specially the area that is now Pakistan was an intellectual and economic superpower. It was responsible for a quarter of world trade under the Mughals. LOL

#46 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-20 01:59 AM | Reply

You and your strawmen army really put me in my place.

I did, didn't I?

You slipped up twice.

One: You once said, you went looking for Cello Kabab because it "reminded you of home". Only someone from Iran would be "reminded of home" eating that poo.

Two: I once suggested that all Iranians are born liars.. and you went mad with anger (like now... it's an Iranian thing, getting really angry). It was very personal for you. Why? Of course now we know! LOL

Don't mistake my disgust for you and your country as being angry.

#47 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-20 02:07 AM | Reply

There are/were 3 confirmed Iranians posting here:

1. Clownshack
2. Zarathustra
3. Dulli (Iranian origins according to GOATMAN).

All three have issues with everyone else. LOL

#48 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-05-20 02:09 AM | Reply

#39 | Posted by BillJohnson

You are clueless and demented.

Jesus continues to weep.

#49 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-05-20 07:56 AM | Reply

Oh My Goodness ~~ how will Republicans ever keep up with the Super Bowls.

#50 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-05-20 08:17 AM | Reply

A troll poll. Nice!

#51 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-20 10:12 AM | Reply

There are/were 3 confirmed Iranians posting here:

In the ten years I've been posting, there's only been one confirmed Iranian on the DR.

Alaska_Guy

But. Apparently Jihad_TosseRigel would rather share anecdotes and sling accusations than accept Pakistan didn't exist when the numeric system was created and his ancestors were a bunch of Indians who allowed religion to tear their country apart and divide its people.

I've been posting here over ten years. You think you have some insight to me others don't?

Get a life a life.