Saturday, May 18, 2019

Maxsa Innovations, a small business selling electronic gadgets on the outskirts of Washington, was already reeling from the U.S.-China trade war when it realized it had a third superpower to manage: Amazon.

Comments

One of my clients, Jasco, is mentioned in this article: for the companies that sell to Amazon, Costco, Home Depot etc. directly, they are basically eating the increased cost for fear of passing the tariff onto their customers.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-05-17 03:00 PM | Reply

In another finance article, it said that Amazon may be dropping China as a direct seller and leaving China with Alibaba and JT Holdings, LLC to handle Chinese production. This predicted right before Trump won, and the Chinese commenced refitting their factories with robotics (automation). In the meantime, American companies started moving their manufacturing into Vietnam and Malaysia, where labor is cheaper than in China.

Speaking of WalMart, it may get a run for their money soon, when JT Holdings, LLC starts selling their products in earnest in America. Watch for a Wally World stock dump.

This is why Bezos and Trump are going round and round. Trump is invested in America and Amazon is invested in China. China is giving us better products for less through Amazon. In other words, Bezos' business models work better for the US consumer IF Trump gets off his back. But if Trump continues his war with China, Americans are going to get stuck with a huge bill. Amazon will switch gears and leave China.

#2 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-05-18 12:57 PM | Reply

"The longer this goes on the more you are going to see small businesses get hurt by the trade war."

And now you know why Republicans support it.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-18 01:25 PM | Reply

Maybe small businesses need to retool? It's not like mom and pop give me a discount for the same product sold at a retailer. Mom and pop stores are not going to hire more than seven people. Amazon sells for less than Wally World and the product is better. The American worker is spoiled. They want more money for the same production than over seas.

The dream is over. Manufacturing is gone. Mom and Pop is gone. Time to refit. Retool or stay behind in the gutter.

#4 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-05-18 01:59 PM | Reply

MAKES SENSE... Amazon, Like Wal-mart sells mostly cheap Chinese crap.

#5 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-05-18 06:57 PM | Reply

Y'all remember that TPP thing I was begging you to reconsider?

This is that whole thing coming to roost.

#6 | Posted by bocaink at 2019-05-18 09:22 PM | Reply

Yea China! Winning....not really but China cultivated the Silk Road market now.

#7 | Posted by bocaink at 2019-05-18 09:23 PM | Reply

As a consumer, I am always for more bang for my buck. As a small business owner, I retooled and I thrived. The problem with most American businesses is that they make business into something personal when it's not. Business is business. Businesses are in the business of making money. Period. If the time comes that you must retool your widget factory to churn out gadgets now, as long as it's profitable, so be it. Who gives a ----- how you make a profit? If you were a master wheel craftsman for the horse and buggy, you had to make an adjustment when Ford churned out its first automobile. Otherwise, you close your doors and died in poverty. If you're not making money growing corn, switch to soy.

Even if you're an individual, you are your own brand. If life as a correctional officer isn't cutting it, cut your losses and learn coding. I don't gaf if America is lacking coders; that only means that at least one of those STEM paychecks are mine. I don't gaf how many people are on H1B work visas, one of those paychecks are mine. I don't care how many "advantage scores" SATs are giving out, one of those STEM checks are mine. Why? Because technology will never go away. And in 1993, I called it right. I retired early in my 40's. Heck, do you know how easy it is for me to get a week's stay at a hotel? Every business has computers, and every system has a bad operator who doesn't know what their doing. I ask for the owner and make a deal with him. I fix his computer problem for a weeks lodging at his hotel. An hour later, I'm done. He's happy and I'm balling.

#8 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-05-19 09:00 AM | Reply