Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Trump administration has forked over more than $62 million -- taxpayer cash that was supposed to be earmarked for struggling American farmers -- to a massive meatpacking company owned by a couple of corrupt Brazilian brothers.

Comments

MFA:

Local prosecutors rescinded the Batistas' plea deals last year after accusing them of withholding evidence. The seedy brothers aren't allowed to leave Brazil as their complex cases go to court.

The Justice Department, meanwhile, is probing JBS for possible violations in the U.S. of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, according to filings in an unrelated court case reviewed by The News. Reuters reported in December that Justice Department investigators interviewed the Batistas in Brazil late last year as part of that investigation.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-05-16 11:18 AM | Reply

The Art of the Deal! That Trump is so smart.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2019-05-16 11:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Where are all the "economic majors" whining about the deficit?

Oh, that's right. They are busy yammering on about non existent "socialism"

#3 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-05-16 12:46 PM | Reply

"It ain't socialism if the taxpayer's money is going to capitalists, it's free enterprise."

Stable Genius Donald J. Trump Esq. PhD-Economics and Stuff

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-05-16 08:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

the only way that trump would give anyone AnyThing is if it was advantageous to him. he evidently has a mechanism in place that will allow him to extract a substantial amount of that 62 mill without it being traced to him.
at the very least those two guys are in the process of closing on a couple of overpriced condos

#5 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-05-16 08:17 PM | Reply

Obama was eight years without a scandal, at least against the American people. The only questionable practice the Obama/Holder team ever engaged in that I am aware of was they used threats of violation of trade laws to raise cash for the Democrat Party.

#6 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-05-16 08:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Fast and Furious was an issue. It's why it took years for Holder to hand over the documents and exemplifies how long it will take to get anything out of Barr's office judicially.

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-05-16 08:52 PM | Reply

- Obama was eight years without a scandal

LOL, yeah right. - www.heritage.org

And before some slurper cries about the link....go ahead and try to debunk the list.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-16 08:52 PM | Reply

"go ahead and try to debunk the list."

The TIGTA Report on the IRS "targeting" already debunked it. And any honest reading of the target words proves neither side was exclusively targeted.

#9 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 09:09 PM | Reply

Fast and Furious was an issue.

Trump does something every week that's worse.

#10 | Posted by JOE at 2019-05-16 09:12 PM | Reply

Trump does something every week that's worse.
#10 | POSTED BY JOE

I'm not saying he doesn't. Just saying B. Hussein was not unimpeachable, as was suggested.

#11 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-05-16 09:14 PM | Reply

"Fast and Furious was an issue."

Because guns don't kill people, people kill people...
... unless you can blame it on the Dems, in which case guns definitely kill people.
~Republican "logic"

#12 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 09:17 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Do you EVER acknowledge a Dem and/or Obama screw-up? Ever???

Every single time you chime in it's always a combination of deflection or whataboutism. It's more reliable than "Old Faithful".

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 09:20 PM | Reply

Speaking of Old Faithful

Once again jeffyj shows is he lives in a universe where irony does not exist

#14 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-05-16 09:29 PM | Reply

"Do you EVER acknowledge a Dem and/or Obama screw-up? Ever???"

I'm too busy laughing at the rank hypocrisy when Republicans suddenly (and conveniently) decide GUNS REALLY DO KILL PEOPLE!*

(*but only if and when we can blame Democrats)

Do you EVER acknowledge Republican hypocrisy? Ever???

#15 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 09:30 PM | Reply

Do you EVER acknowledge Republican hypocrisy? Ever???

#15 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Frequently.

Do you want examples? I can provide some recent ones.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 09:32 PM | Reply

#13 This thread is about a Trump screw up, which you somehow missed commenting on. The whataboutism was rusty's triggered by bayvik.

#17 | Posted by bored at 2019-05-16 09:34 PM | Reply

Okay, but it's a staple of Danforth's posts. If his comment on this thread occurred in a vacuum, I'd agree with you. But it didn't occur in a vacuum...

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 09:36 PM | Reply

"Okay, but it's a staple of Danforth's posts. "

So I didn't do it now, but you want to blame me for past transgressions?!?

Are you hammered already?

#19 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 09:40 PM | Reply

So I didn't do it now, but you want to blame me for past transgressions?!?

#19 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

You did it in #12. Also, are you expecting a pass from your blatant double-standards simply due to the passage of time?

It's not like you've ever clarified with, "I took this position in the past, but in retrospect, I was wrong...I oppose this GOP action because..."

With you I see a ton of partisanship dominating your posts. I think you are mostly spot-on with your harsh criticisms of Republicans and conservatives. I often agree with your criticisms and try to articulate it when I agree.

I almost NEVER see you criticize a Democrat or Liberal/Progressive.

I get it when the advocated policies align, which is pretty much always except for intellectual property rights.

It's when the malfeasance and politics come into play that you show your double-standard colors.

I can count on my under-sized manhood the number of times you actually criticized the Obama administration about anything. I peg you as the #2 biggest Obama apologist on this site.

The double-standard is glaring. It might simply be a situation where you need to add a few caveats to your posts. Maybe you are creating an impression that isn't properly representative of where you truly stand...

Maybe I'm giving you too much of a benefit of the doubt. Maybe not. I will say I am giving you WAY more benefit than you've ever given me.

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 09:55 PM | Reply

Are you hammered already?

#19 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

I'm working on it.

We've had a horrible spring but have managed to string together 2 consecutive days in the 60's - 70's with some sun mixed in with a lot of clouds. I cooked outdoors 2 evenings in a row. I'm considering going for a short walk in shorts and a T-shirt, simply to enjoy the weather.

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:02 PM | Reply

Show me how it's done. Start with F&F.

#22 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 10:15 PM | Reply

"FFS. Many of us evolve our views when presented with new facts and/or arguments that cause us to reconsider our positions. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I view that as a sign of intellectual growth. "

And you voted for one Democrat, years and years and years and years ago, who hasn't run for office in over a decade. Since then, you've either voted for the Trumps of the world, or their enablers.

Some growth.

#23 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 10:18 PM | Reply

Show you how it's done?

I do it all of the time. Why go all of the way back to F&F?

How about you do something I've never witnessed (or don't recall) and criticize an Obama policy or action based on over-reach, incompetence, etc.

"He wasn't progressive enough" - is crap. "He tried too hard to work with Republicans" - is crap.

Actual criticism.

----

My core argument is you almost NEVER criticize Dems/progressives and when threads pop up that offer said criticisms you respond with deflections and whataboutisms.

You are trying unsurprisingly, to move the goalposts.

I'm happy to offer criticisms of Republicans/conservatives/righties/etc. I'm willing to go first. In return, I ask you to do the same of Democrats/Liberals/Prgoressives.

Deal?

Oh, and to address your sentiment - when I showed up to this site I was opposed to gay marriage. Over the course of debates every argument I put forth was met with a stronger counter-argument and my view changed as a result.

Now....your turn....

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:24 PM | Reply

Some growth.

#23 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

I didn't vote for Trump and if the election were tomorrow, I'd vote for Biden.

Are you done with your insipid childishness yet?

Seriously, it's your turn.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:26 PM | Reply

It's cute how you define "growth" as voting how you think I should vote.

Get over yourself.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:27 PM | Reply

For the first time in a really long time, the weather is really nice this evening. I'm going for a walk and will pop back on when I get back...

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:28 PM | Reply

"It's cute how you define "growth" as voting how you think I should vote. '

Even cuter how you define "growth" as voting for the same folks over and over and over. Nobody can ever accuse you of being self-aware, that's for sure.

#28 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 10:28 PM | Reply

"I can quickly list a ton of criticisms of the GOP/Trump/Republicans/Conservatives. "

And then you vote for them.

Meanwhile, you're upset that I'm not pissed at Democrats, to the point where I vote for them.

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

#29 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 10:31 PM | Reply

after 8 years of screaming that obama was virtually the anti christ, jeff j is gonna vote for his vice president?

Yeah, OK.

lol

#30 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-05-16 10:31 PM | Reply

"8 years of screaming that obama was virtually the anti christ"

Don't forget Obama's racism...every time a butterfly beat its wings in the Amazon.

#31 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 10:36 PM | Reply

---- you, Alex.

Read my recent comments about Biden.

You are going to need an ice bath moving those heavy goalposts, Danforth.

While I'm enjoying the mild temp and the night sounds of Michigan, I hate posting from my phone.

#32 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:38 PM | Reply

"Read my recent comments about Biden. "

the same biden that allowed obama to wreck our country and did nothing to stop him?

you're a mess.

#33 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-05-16 10:40 PM | Reply

Why don't you just call me a racist, Alex?

We all know you want to go there.

Back in ‘08 I argued the Dem ticket was upside down.

Biden is an old school Democrat. These days the cultural elites mostly denigrate blue collar workers. Biden has a history of support for this demographic.

#34 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:46 PM | Reply

I don't care how you vote, Danforth.

I'm calling out your blatant double standard when it comes to criticism and you move the goalposts in response. Every time. I don't begrudge anyone for how they vote. Voting is an intensely personal thing and there's a reason why privacy is so guarded at the polls

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 10:50 PM | Reply

"Why don't you just call me a racist, Alex?

We all know you want to go there. "

But i don't, i think you're just a partisan that spent 7-8 years embarrassing yourself on this blog over a dem president, and you can't walk it back now that Trump is everything the right claimed obama was.

if i thought you were racist i just ------- call you one, so stop playing victim.

#36 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-05-16 10:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Your revisionist DR history is lame.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 11:01 PM | Reply

So-called "working class" Joe is a hack that supported NAFTA, wanted to push through TPP in the lame duck session, loves corporate globalists and is a neocon who supported the Obama/Clinton policy of interventionism.

#NeverBiden

#38 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-05-16 11:05 PM | Reply

"I've been consistent in my assessment that Obama was not a good President but he was less damaging than Bush. "

consistent how? you sucked Ws ass and defended torture, then spent obamas entire term pretending you were a constitutional scholar.

now trump is in office, and all your "constitutional" knowledge has packed it's bags and left town. At best, you talk about trump personally being a -------, at worst you deflect for the mofo with your bs equivalencies.

#39 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-05-16 11:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden has his flaws, Nulli. But IMO he's a better choice on the Dem side than anyone else who has jumped in so far.

#40 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 11:13 PM | Reply

Alex,

Seriously, ---- you.

Hire a reading comprehension tutor.

Are you aware of my stance regarding Trump's "Emergency funding" for his wall as it pertains to the Constitution?

How about the manner in which he's dismantling ACA?

What about his tariffs? Have I argued they can be enacted without legislation?

You seem to be projecting. You seem to think that because you supported Obama exceeding his powers that I am the same with Trump.

#41 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 11:22 PM | Reply

There you go Dem's, you've got JeffJ lined up to vote your way.

Says everything you need to know about con-con-servative Joe

#42 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-16 11:24 PM | Reply

#NeverBiden

#38 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Flagged: NW

#43 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-05-16 11:28 PM | Reply

#41 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

#44 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-16 11:44 PM | Reply

"Seriously, ---- you. "

Brilliant.

Joke.

#45 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-05-16 11:46 PM | Reply

"You're historically more objective than Danforth but you seem to want to out-partisan him on this thread."

What a riot. JeffJ, who hasn't voted for a Democrat in over ten years, is now going to lecture folks on partisanship.

You can't make this schitt up.

#46 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-05-16 11:48 PM | Reply

blue collar workers. Biden has a history of support for this demographic.

I hate to pile on, Jeff, but what history is that?

#47 | Posted by JOE at 2019-05-17 06:57 AM | Reply

FTA:

"Why is the USDA bailing out plants operated by JBS, the largest meatpacker in the world, with a program designed to help domestic companies and producers under economic duress?"
A major scandal under any other administration is just "Thursday" in Trumpland.

#48 | Posted by JOE at 2019-05-17 07:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You can't make this schitt up.

#46 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

I didn't vote for Trump and half of my votes at the lower levels went to Libertarians.

You undoubtedly voted a straight Democrat ticket and love yourself some identity politics.

What is far more telling is you've assiduously avoided addressing my points regarding your sycophantic support for ALL things Obama.

Your silence is deafening.

As for Alex, I don't know what bug crawled up his ass last night. He's usually reasonable.

#49 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-17 08:52 AM | Reply

I hate to pile on, Jeff,

LOL. No worries, Joe.

but what history is that?

#47 | POSTED BY JOE

Honestly, that's a fair question. I know the Democratic Party used to strongly represent blue collar Americans and given his age Biden was a party member when that was still the case. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

#50 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-05-17 09:51 AM | Reply

Do you EVER acknowledge Republican hypocrisy? Ever???

#15 | Posted by Danforth

the hypocrisy argument is for mental midgets.

Posted by jpw

#51 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-05-17 09:56 AM | Reply

Here is an example of jeffyj holding "republican" feet to the fire

"Republicans aren't all that great, but they are better than OBAMA"

#52 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-05-17 03:57 PM | Reply

JeffJ consistently pretends he can simultaneously staunchly support the GOP while staunchly opposing Trump.

The truth is, his criticism of Trump is limited to Trump's character and personality traits.

Here's one: "I've been consistent in my assessment that Trump debases the office in ways that neither Bush or Obama we're capable."

But when it comes to Trump policy, JeffJ sees more that he likes than he dislikes. And the dislikes can always be laid at the feet of Trump the man, while the enabling role of the GOP operatives in the other two branches of government he waves off by saying he expects partisans to act like partisans.

It's a carefully constructed ruse that I doubt is even the result of a conscious decision. I don't think he even realizes the bait and switch he's engaging in when he takes Trump to task for personality and character flaws and calls out Obama and the Democrats on policy.

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-05-18 01:54 PM | Reply