Thursday, April 25, 2019

James Madison High School in Houston, Texas, has found itself having to enforce a dress code. Not on the students, though. No, a letter addressed to parents and guests (PDF) in English and Spanish suggests that some guardians coming in to pick up their kids stopped caring long ago.

Comments

"This includes wholesale bans on "wearing a satin cap or bonnet" within the building, hair rollers and "pajamas of any kind". "

No pajamas?!?! How will they go to the WalMart then?

#1 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-04-25 12:51 PM | Reply

Funny. Specifically mentioning "daisy dukes" totally disallows the racism claims that this could incite.

Culture and race are not the same. However, "dont give a ----" culture crosses all races. More economic than anything.

Wanna stay poor? Regardless of race, you must be truly of exceptional talent to succeed while disregarding social norms.

That's part of why I kill fish and nail pieces of wood to other pieces of wood (sometimes cutting them first) for a living, instead of working inside a building. The only thing dictates my attire (and behavior) is function and cost.

The sacrifice is hard ass work.

Pick one.

#2 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-04-25 11:56 PM | Reply

Should clarify: hard ass work, no union protection, high chance of injury.

If your not down for that, step your ass in line or don't complain.

#3 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-04-25 11:58 PM | Reply

@#2 ... nail pieces of wood to other pieces of wood (sometimes cutting them first) ...

My Dad (in addition to all else he did) built the house I grew up in. Kudos and respect to you.

My view is that the school is trying to teach the students one part (emphasis one "one part" and not "the only part") of what is needed to get a foot in the door.

In a prior life I Interviewed people for positions that I had open.

If a candidate came to the interview in hot pants or pajamas, how should I have looked at that individual?

Yeah, this is a grey area, loaded with land mines, but the bottom line is that you want the people on your team to be professional. My view is that "professional" does not mean wearing bathing suits to work.

I may be old school on this, but there it is.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-04-26 12:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Grandstanding for whitefolks. Her job is safe and at what cost.

#5 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-04-26 12:28 PM | Reply

Setting a standard isn't grandstanding.
You seem to have low expectations of blacks.

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-04-26 12:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If i were a dad there i'd be pissed that moms can't show up in leggings. I'd probably send my kid to another school.

#7 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-26 12:45 PM | Reply

"or even bonnets."

My first thought when reading this was about the Mennonite community.

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-04-26 12:53 PM | Reply

"or even bonnets."
My first thought when reading this was about the Mennonite community.
#8 | POSTED BY SENTINEL AT 2019-04-26 12:53 PM

Agreed, this specifically has culture, and it isn't anti-Little House.

#9 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-04-26 08:31 PM | Reply

hmmmm.... notice it doesn't mention "Do-Rags" which our lower class gang brothers love to wear...

NOTHING says black criminal or gang member like a ratty do-rag and baggy pants showin the crack of ur ass.

For my white brothers and sisters not up on whats going on in the hood...

A do-rag or du-rag is a scarf worn on the head after a hair treatment process. Do-rags were originally founded as the headgear of poor African American women laborers and slaves in the 19th century. In the 1930s, during the Harlem Renaissance and Great Depression, the do-rag evolved into a hairstyle preserver.

After the Black Power Movement in the late 1960s, the do-rag became a fashion statement among African Americans, worn by rappers, gang members, and younger men.

#10 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-04-26 09:04 PM | Reply

I think this is the EXACT point when Democrat Liburels turn into Nazi's and Fascists...

Telling adult Tax Payers how to act and what to wear... that's how it all starts...

...so give a nice Sieg Heil to your local Democrat controlled Houston school board.

#11 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-04-26 09:13 PM | Reply

no, no, no.

#12 | Posted by ichiro at 2019-04-27 01:31 AM | Reply

Lol. Guess my race.

#13 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-04-27 02:53 AM | Reply

Three guesses:

--------
----
----------

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-27 03:54 AM | Reply

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-04-26 12:38 PM

"Blacks" FIFY.

#15 | Posted by john47 at 2019-04-27 10:18 AM | Reply

Didn't quite get that snoofy, your breaking up.

#16 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-04-27 11:28 AM | Reply

Looks like I'm gonna have to switch to Morse code.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-27 03:01 PM | Reply