Friday, April 26, 2019

Federal agents raided Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh's home, part of city hall and another location Thursday. Pugh is under investigation for alleged "self-dealing" in connection with hundreds of thousands of dollars in payments for a self-published children's book from private companies that were subject to her influence.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

This was expected and/or speculated here by news orgs for some time. She's as crooked as they come.

Comments

Yes, Virginia, there is a more corrupt city than Chicago.

#1 | Posted by Spork at 2019-04-25 11:36 AM | Reply

The entire state of Maryland is a festering swampy cesspool

Traffic is obismal, poverty rampant, and their population of cretins rival Georgia/Florida in terms of overt racism

People from Maryland cannot be trusted. We should do America a favor and burn that -------- to the ground

#2 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-04-25 11:39 AM | Reply

#2 I'll bring the napalm, you bring the torch.

#3 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-25 12:06 PM | Reply

#1 Baltimore is trying really hard to set a new low bar for city governments everywhere. The city council is entirely on the take, the prosecutor's office has made cops afraid to do their jobs, murder is the lead story 365 days/yr on the morning news, grocery stores are afraid to build...a complete --------.

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-25 12:11 PM | Reply

@#1 ... Yes, Virginia, there is a more corrupt city than Chicago. ...

Is Baltimore destined to be unable to right itself? It is beginning to look that way.

The current generation of leaders in Baltimore seem to be more of the problem than the solution.

How does a city turn itself around in such a case?

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-04-25 12:13 PM | Reply

Come on, Baltimore is "The City That Reads." Of course they are going to make book deals!!! Sheesh.

Baltimore's redeeming feature is John Waters. Also, some liked the show Homicide. Is there even a good rock band from Baltimore?

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-25 12:17 PM | Reply

I'm waiting for Nerf to arrive. He lives in that craphole. At least I'm out in the country.

#7 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-25 12:21 PM | Reply

At least I'm out in the country. #7 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

Larry Hogan voter?

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-04-25 02:51 PM | Reply

On the positive side, it still is a good site for another The Wire re-make.

#9 | Posted by Spork at 2019-04-25 03:18 PM | Reply

#8 Yep. I like Hogan. I don't agree with every position, but he's a good governor.

#10 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-25 03:37 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-04-25 12:17 PM | FLAG:

It's Murdermore, and The Wire is the best thing about it.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-25 04:51 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-04-25 12:17 PM | FLAG:

Hey now. Edgar Allan Poe's grave alone makes the city worth a visit. That and Babe Ruth's childhood home. My wife and I had a nice weekend there, staying in a B&B in Federal Hill and taking in the attractions around the Inner Harbor. One night we dined outside overlooking the water, when suddenly a fireworks display erupted from nearby Fort McHenry. Turns out it was the anniversary of Francis Scott Key's writing of the Star Spangled Banner.

#12 | Posted by cbob at 2019-04-26 09:11 AM | Reply

As far as current Balto rock bands... J Roddy Walston & the Business, Wye Oak and Beach House all come to mind. Frank Zappa was from there. Philip Glass too. Tori Amos and the immortal Billie Holiday also hail from Baltimore.

#13 | Posted by cbob at 2019-04-26 09:22 AM | Reply

Baltimore is not all Turning Point/South Clifton, but I agree, it isn't for the weak of heart. I like it because it is quirky, centrally located, and the job I have allows me to take off 16 weeks from mid-May to mid-August and still collect a nice paycheck. I have recently moved across the river from Brooklyn to South Baltimore and it is much nicer and I like it, although I will be leaving in a few weeks for Zurich-- IMHO the greatest city in the world-- someday soon that move will be permanent.

Unfortunately, Pugh has brought in her Filthydelphia style of politics to Ashburton (I was more of a Stephanie Rawlings-Blake type of guy). I don't pay as much attention to that stuff as I did say 5 years ago. Corruption in Baltimore has always been high, no matter the person.

#14 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-04-26 10:26 AM | Reply

Pfft
No biggie
~Marion berry

#15 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-04-26 10:49 AM | Reply

"Pfft
No biggie
~Marion berry"

Pfft
No biggie
~Spiro Agnew

#16 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-04-26 11:13 AM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY CBOB

Let us not forget the great Mackris was born there, left as soon as practical, but nonetheless Baltimore is a cool town, just because a bunch a Democrats politicians are thieving doesn't make it any less so.

How Baltimore Quietly Became the East Coast's Next Cool City....
www.smithsonianmag.com

Maybe its because I left....

#17 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-04-26 11:15 AM | Reply

She should have rented people hotel rooms they didnt stay in.

#18 | Posted by bored at 2019-04-26 11:16 AM | Reply

Baltimore last Mayors...

- Sheila Dixon: Convicted of stealing gift cards from the poor

- Stephanie Rawlings-Blake: Stepped down after promoting the Baltimore Riots

- Catherine Pugh: Raided by FBI for taking bribes

- Martin O'Malley who The Wire is based on....

All Democrats

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-04-26 11:22 AM | Reply

"Stepped down after promoting the Baltimore Riots"

FAKE NEWS

#20 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-04-26 11:31 AM | Reply

These kinds of crimes are ONLY allowed if you are President!

#21 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-04-26 11:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

Definitely a good guv. I take notice whenever a politician can thrive in places where they initially appear to be an underdog due to political affiliation.

14 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER

Big fan of the Clifton area. Bummed that my FL sunpass didn't work at the toll when I was passing thru though.

#22 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-04-26 03:44 PM | Reply

Headline: Baltimore mayor not lucid enough to decide whether to resign

Wut in tarnation

#23 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-04-26 03:52 PM | Reply

Supposedly pneumonia is taking a toll on her lucidity.

#24 | Posted by cbob at 2019-04-26 05:44 PM | Reply