Thursday, April 25, 2019

From New York to Los Angeles, American cities are known around the world for being vibrant, industrious, and constantly growing. Every year, more people are enticed into big cities by unique job opportunities, cultures, landscapes, and communities. As populations in these cities rise, so too does the cost of living -- and if a city's minimum wage doesn't increase fast enough to match its growth, residents can be hard-pressed to make ends meet.

Comments

Money is just one very big factor in the equation of whether a city is livable. For those of us of some financial means, it is not determinative. For example, even with tens of millions, I would not want to live in San Francisco, Atlanta or Houston.

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2019-04-25 10:52 AM | Reply

Not surprising that the least livable is San Francisco. Why don't they raise their minimum wage? It might put restaurants out of business and then affluent progressives might be deprived of gourmet meals, but who cares? They can eat at cheap places like the rest of us.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-04-25 10:52 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2019-04-25 10:52 AM | FLAG: Agree as any state can raise their minimum wage should they chose to do so. California should raise it to be a 'livable wage' which is so wanted by the left and I am surprised that CA has not led the charge to set the example.

'Currently, 29 states and the District of Columbia have minimum wages that are higher than the federal one, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Fourteen states have minimum wages that equal the federal rate.'

#3 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-04-25 11:17 AM | Reply

who pays minimum wage? Fast Food, Walmart, daycare centers, etc... all pay way over minimum wage. And, I'm in the heart of the country

#4 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-04-25 11:37 AM | Reply

San Fran is still suffering from the effects of gentrification... and there is no place quite like it.

#5 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-04-25 01:30 PM | Reply

Believe it or not, I am recovering from some bad leg injuries in a rural town in Western New York, where the min wage is $11.10 p/h. This place is so poor, my gov't benefits makes me one of the wealthiest residents in the county. It is the only GOP county in Western NY surrounded by DNC counties. The town has no Burger King or a cell phone tower. The nurses and aides can't find a better job because they have to travel 45 minutes to get to the next hospital, where there's a waiting list one year long. There's no Wally World (wal-mart). Nothing. The nearest truck stop they can sell ----- at is also 45 minutes away. It's near Niagara Falls. If this place closed down, they couldn't make a dollar selling -------- because there's no money.

They've never met a Hispanic American from NYC. At first they thought I was an immigrant. After I explained myself to them, I realized the men were racist as ----.

However, I met this beautiful nurse who was married to a racist goober. She doesn't love him but he has a job. After awhile, I offered her $50 for "extra special service." No sooner than I produced the $50, she snatched it from my hand hiding it in her bra.

She blew my ---- for three days. She would walk in on a lull from giving meds and slobbered my knob. Others have given me a rub and tug for a tenner. Don't judge. That tenner was a ------- meal she hadn't had in a couple of days. That's how they make their side money.

Minimum wage will make people do strange things. Like forget they voted for Trump.

Dear POTUS, I had to suck a Hispanic man's dick because I was stupid enough to vote for you.

#6 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-04-25 06:54 PM | Reply

#6 With a $1000/mo UBI, women like her could leave their Darwinism-defying husbands.

#7 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-04-25 07:01 PM | Reply

@#7 Believe me, when I leave here, I'm thinking about hiring one of them as my aide at home. It's easier, and they make $15 p/h easy work.

Last time I heard something like this was from women coming here from overseas; Latin America, Russia, Central America, Jamaica, and a ton from Cuba. White GOP rural American women can't live off of $11.10 min wage in NY.

Some of these goobers get them preggers 3 or 4 times and then leave when it gets rough. Sometimes, I tell a few, "Here's some change. Don't worry about it." They always say no. They're so proud they rather choke my chubby than take charity.

That's life as a conservative for ya in rural NY State. Vote for Trump and have to sell their ---- for side money to buy groceries.

#8 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-04-25 07:36 PM | Reply

@#7

BTW $1000 UBI has been running around the halls of Congress forever. You're talking about Andrew Yang, right? He's not getting a lot of media play. I don't think Pelosi or Bernie like Yang's UBI platform.

#9 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-04-25 07:44 PM | Reply

Move.org posted this data based on their research of Bakersfield:

Hours you'd need to work each week: 20
Hours you'd need to work each month: 85
Hourly minimum wage: $11.00
Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment: $725
Average monthly cost of utilities: $208.18

Interesting stats. So they assume you only need enough money, before taxes, to cover rent and utilities to live?

#10 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-04-25 08:46 PM | Reply

#8 what part of WNY?

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-25 09:05 PM | Reply

Can i just say that MisterCarajo is my favorite new-ish poster? It's not even close.

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-25 09:24 PM | Reply

@#12

JOE:

It doesn't matter if you like me or not. That's just reality of the poor GOP voters. They don't go to college because they don't want to. All this ------ about not having the money to go to college is just plain laziness. There's grant even for left handed bag pipe players. All they had to do was look a little and apply for grants. Go to college for a few years and now s/he doesn't have to sell their culito at the truck stop. They would rather pull turds out of people's --------- for $11.10 p/h. And then call me all sorts of ----- for their decision to screw their lives over.

Now I don't care. You ever been to a truck lot? Ever seen a lot lizard? Some of them are beautiful. But that's where it all ends. They are such screwballs they rather suck dirty wood for pocket change than go to college. So they voted for Trump to rescue them because he told them what they wanted to hear: big money working in manufacturing and coal mines like in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

They were warned. Even Bob Dylan sang about it in The Times They Are a-Changing in 1965.

*I* don't have a problem living in NYC. Or Frisco. I don't have to stand on 51st and 3rd, sucking old men's pingas to make the rent (the Ramones). Minimum wage is a stupid people's problem.

#13 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-04-25 10:56 PM | Reply

@#10

Sentinel,

They didn't figure in expenses: coffee, lunch, subway rides, gas, car, car insurance, repairs, blah, blah, and blah just to get to work.

Min wages just became $5 p/h and I think I'm being generous.

When I worked for CB Richard Ellis on 51st and Lex, I didn't get out of bed for less than $85 dollars p/h. What for? There's no money in it for less than that after expenses.

#14 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-04-25 11:07 PM | Reply

If you look at the pay stub of a person making minimum wage you would find that they do not take home minimum wage. They pay FICA and if they have insurance that comes out of their paycheck. A person making minimum wage with a $100 insurance premium takes home $215 a week. In most places that wont cover rent plus utilities

#15 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-04-26 12:14 PM | Reply