Tuesday, April 23, 2019

I was a Trump transition staffer, and I've seen enough. It's time for impeachment. Let's start at the end of this story. This weekend, I read Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report twice, and realized that enough was enough -- I needed to do something.

Comments

MFA:

Let's go back to the beginning. In August 2016, I interviewed to join the pre-transition team of Donald Trump. Since 2012, every presidential election stands up a pre-transition team for both candidates, so that the real transition will have had a six-month head start when the election is decided. I participated in a similar effort for Mitt Romney, and despite our defeat, it was a thrilling and rewarding experience. I walked into a conference room at Jones Day that Don McGahn had graciously arranged to lend to the folks interviewing for the transition team.

The question I feared inevitably opened the interview: "How do you feel about Donald Trump?" I could not honestly say I admired him. While working on Senator Marco Rubio's primary campaign, I had watched Trump throw schoolyard nicknames at him. I gave the only honest answer I could: "I admire the advisers he's chosen, like Larry Kudlow and David Malpass, and I admire his choice of VP." That did the trick. I got the impression they'd heard that one before. I was one of the first 16 members of Trump's transition team, as deputy director of economic policy.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-23 02:31 PM | Reply

His resume: Entitled to government deep stater disgruntled over losing government meal ticket. Seeking greener pastures on blue team. Will dis Trump for food.

#2 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-04-23 03:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#2 He was offered jobs with WH but turned them down:

"I wasn't very good at hiding my distaste. We parted ways in October amicably; I wasn't the right fit. I wished many of my friends who worked on the transition well, and I respected their decision to stay on after Trump won. A few of them even arranged offers for policy jobs in the White House, which I nearly accepted but ultimately turned down, as I knew I'd be no better fit there than I had been on the transition."

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-23 03:05 PM | Reply

#2 He claims loyalty can only be taken so far:

I wanted to share my experience transitioning from Trump team member to pragmatist about Trump to advocate for his impeachment, because I think many other Republicans are starting a similar transition. Politics is a team sport, and if you actively work within a political party, there is some expectation that you will follow orders and rally behind the leader, even when you disagree. There is a point, though, at which that expectation turns from a mix of loyalty and pragmatism into something more sinister, a blind devotion that serves to enable criminal conduct.

#4 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-23 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

One honest Republican. A hopeful sign.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2019-04-23 03:30 PM | Reply

There is nothing wrong with a blind devotion that serves to enable criminal conduct.
- Rudy

#6 | Posted by bored at 2019-04-23 07:06 PM | Reply

This is a little more serious than lying about oral sex.

#7 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-04-23 07:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

PS: Now I see how Michael Richards found a home.

#8 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-04-23 09:46 PM | Reply

Never Trumper Remains Never Trumper.

I think this is why administrations want to use lie detector tests and loyalty oaths. The deep state that knows nothing but suckling the government teat will lie to get what the want and then throw a fit when they don't.

#9 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-04-24 12:24 AM | Reply

If you use the words "deep state" you've not only lost the a argument but proven yourself to be an infowars zombie that was dumb enough to be fooled by the Hicks-Jones hoax.

#10 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-04-24 09:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Mueller report underscores dangerous Trump disdain for rule of law: Ex-GOP officials*

President Donald Trump's ongoing assault on the rule of law seeks most basically to prevent lawyers from performing this role. Leading up to the release of special counsel Robert Mueller's report, we saw multiple news accounts, some based on unidentified administration officials and other sources, about a president directing law enforcement agents to ignore judicial orders; working to hollow out a vital domestic law enforcement agency, the Department of Homeland Security, because its leaders will not bend to his will; and suggesting that he will punish his political opponents by targeting them for adverse actions.

www.usatoday.com

*Donald Ayer was deputy attorney general in the George H.W. Bush administration. Stuart Gerson was an assistant attorney general in the H.W. Bush administration. Paul Rosenzweig was senior counsel to Kenneth Starr in the Whitewater investigation and a deputy assistant secretary of Homeland Security in the George W. Bush administration.

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-24 10:10 AM | Reply

"I hope the Dems stay true to their sense of fair play and impeach. They need to think about the country not 2020."

No need, right now, to impeach. First they will hold impeachment hearings which gives them the ability to review Grand Jury testimony, subpoena witnesses, including Trump, who will then testify under oath. As those committee hearings go on public pressure to carry out the impeachment will build, Trump's poll numbers will fall and then impeachment will even force Republicans to consider convicting him in the Senate to save their own butts in the 2020 election.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2019-04-24 10:47 AM | Reply

If that report is your tipping point, it OBVIOUSLY takes way more than it should for you to form an opinion. Please don't procreate and pass that trait down to offspring. There is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than enough evidence for anyone to decide how they feel about someone like Trump. To go this long just shows how terrible you are and how flip-flopping, in your case, is more a matter of personal growth and not based on empirical evidence. That is fine, except if you have anything to do with politics or journalism.

#13 | Posted by humtake at 2019-04-24 11:52 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Idiot.

He was a transition staffer. He was never part of the government. He was hired by Trump to help him transition into office.

God, you are way too stupid to be here.

#14 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-04-24 12:04 PM | Reply

I love it when you conspiracy theorists get hysterical.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-04-24 12:42 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by visitor_

Anytime you insult someone trump hired, you are also insulting the man who hired them.

What does it say about trump that he hired so many horrible people?

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-04-24 01:16 PM | Reply

I love it when you conspiracy theorists get hysterical.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat

What's the conspiracy theory?

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-04-24 01:17 PM | Reply

#17 |

Anything posing as a well-documented fact.

#18 | Posted by Corky at 2019-04-24 01:24 PM | Reply

I love it when you conspiracy theorists get hysterical.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat

And where's the hysteria?

Are you experiencing delusions recently?

#19 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-04-24 01:35 PM | Reply

His turning point was in October '16 when he quit the transition team.

Author lies. Gal posts.

Loser move.

#20 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-04-24 04:50 PM | Reply

Looks like little Dix got his panties in a wad again.
Snowflake needs his "safe space".

#21 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-04-24 04:57 PM | Reply

Loser move.

#20 | Posted by DixvilleNotch

Oh good you're back. Speaking of loser moves, how come you've spent 3 days running away from a simple question:

Trump says russia didn't help him in the election. The mueller report says they did. Is trump a liar or is the report wrong?

#22 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-04-24 05:15 PM | Reply