Monday, April 22, 2019

It may only be April, but baby naming site Nameberry has rounded up the most popular monikers of the year -- so far. Their list of the Most Popular Names on Nameberry is updated monthly and measures in real time which names are attracting the most attention among their visitors, so it's pretty good gauge of what parents are loving.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Nameberry tracks popular baby names in real time.

Top 5 Girl Names: Isla, Olivia, Posie, Aurora and Cora

Top 5 Boy Names: Milo, Jasper, Asher, Atticus and Silas

Comments

My personal advice to parents is don't get caught up in trendy names. Stick to old family surnames, or Grandpa's or Grandma's name and of course biblical names. And you always give a son a very distinguished set of names, (at least 2 middle names), then just call him "Opie" or "------" for short. Don't know why, it's one of those southern things.

#1 | Posted by shane at 2019-04-22 02:27 PM | Reply

Aryan? I guess his parents felt like handicapping him....

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-22 02:32 PM | Reply

In the early 80's I liked the name Galadriel.... fortunately my wife had more sense.

Surprised by this current list of names, though. Posie, Milo... really?

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2019-04-22 02:33 PM | Reply

@#3

Following the link back and check out the full list.

I was quite surprised.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-04-22 02:47 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2019-04-22 02:59 PM | Reply

"just call him "Opie" or "------" for short. Don't know why, it's one of those southern things."

#1 | POSTED BY SHANE

Message to the censors:

You guys never heard of C--ter Davenport?

#6 | Posted by shane at 2019-04-22 04:58 PM | Reply

@#5 ... Actually I kinda like some of these old fashioned names rather than ones from recent years. ...

Here ya go...

List of the most popular names in the 1920s in the United States
en.m.wikipedia.org

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-04-22 11:41 PM | Reply

Enjoy!

Top names for the last 100 years according to the Social Security Administration.

www.ssa.gov

#8 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2019-04-23 02:02 AM | Reply

Most common names... "Boy".. "Girl".

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-04-23 03:01 AM | Reply

I've gone many years on this site without revealing my first name. Fist reason-- who really gives a ----? Second of all, I used to go by my middle name, which is more American sounding.

I am named after my mother's father, who in turn was named after his mother's father, who was named after HIS father, who was a famous Swiss mathematician. So the name goes back to the mid-1800s.

Anyway, my first name is Salomon. But I am usually called Sal.

And my middle name?

Nerfherder.

#10 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-04-23 09:57 AM | Reply

Just remember this cautionary tale.....

youtu.be

#11 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-04-23 10:24 AM | Reply

Atlas? Talking about putting pressure on a kid's shoulders. Good grief.

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-04-23 10:31 AM | Reply

Atlas? Talking about putting pressure on a kid's shoulders. Good grief.

#12 | Posted by nullifidian

I imagine that is less "pressure" than having the name "Donald" these days.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-04-23 03:49 PM | Reply

#1 boy's name: Milo.

That ought to have liberal's panties in a wad.

#14 | Posted by RobertZeurunkl at 2019-04-23 04:00 PM | Reply

#1 boy's name in the world is actually Muhammad. It is spelled many different ways.

#15 | Posted by ExpectingReign at 2019-04-23 04:51 PM | Reply

Where do "Oops" and "Broken Condom" fall on the list?

#16 | Posted by RevDarko at 2019-04-23 06:24 PM | Reply

Top 5 names last 100 years

www.ssa.gov

A lot of Biblical names.

#17 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-04-23 08:45 PM | Reply

Jasper seems more like a girl name than a boy name.

#18 | Posted by pirate at 2019-04-24 01:26 PM | Reply

I'll never think of Astrid again without thinking of the Office.

#19 | Posted by Pirate at 2019-04-24 01:36 PM | Reply