Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Smith & Wesson still feels the wound it suffered two decades ago when it decided to invent smart guns.

Comments

So far, we have received no orders for this product we have yet to manufacture or produce. Therefore, there is no viable market for it.

***BUUUURRRRPPPP***

#1 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-04-16 07:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"manufacture or market"

God damn it!

#2 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-04-16 07:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"well what if i'm wounded and my pard's out of ammo..an the 'injuns are comin'..and lions and tigers and bears, oh my"

#3 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-04-16 08:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Not a bad idea. The marketing is where the problem is.

#4 | Posted by DmtDust at 2019-04-16 09:29 PM | Reply

It wasn't a bad idea, but the fumblings of S & W and the touch of Clinton (who along with Hillary) tainted all things Democratic killed this great idea.

#5 | Posted by DMTDust at 2019-04-16 09:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

...the fumblings of S & W

LOL. I remember when the NRA tried to have Smith & Wesson run out of the country for even suggesting that adding a few safety features to a pistol might not be the end of the Universe.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-04-16 09:36 PM | Reply

I have a biometric scanner on my phone. Works 80% of the time. Prox bracelet might be more reliable, but they are subject to EMI. Someone will come up with something good eventually.

#7 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-16 10:28 PM | Reply

"lack of consumer demand"
capitalism oppresses once again!

#8 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-04-16 11:16 PM | Reply

I think it's a dumb idea, but then, most everything about guns has turned out to be a dumb idea.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-16 11:17 PM | Reply

Buy a ring trigger interlock. It's better than a smart gun, no battery required.

They're marginally more popular than smart guns. 1 company makes them.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-16 11:18 PM | Reply

As for the "ignoring silicon valley" part, too funny. Google alone is worth over 10x the entire consumer firearm industry combined.

Silicon Valley can bring a smart gun to market any time they want. Existing manufacturers are not an impediment.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-17 08:22 AM | Reply

I own a commemorative 82nd Airborne Division, TF Pegasus, Smith and Wesson M&P .40. My unit bought these for all the officers who participated in OEF 10. Great weapon. I'm going to buy a smaller weapon for my wife this year.

If S&W makes a smart weapon, I might look at buying it. But it only working 80% of the time is concerning.

#12 | Posted by boaz at 2019-04-17 08:25 AM | Reply

FTA: How many times have you tried to unlock your iPhone and it's like [no]?" he says. "This is one of the rare situations in which false negatives are the difference between life and death."

Gun owners really think like this. They think they are in constant danger and that they will have to defend their lives with their gun like they live in a video game. What percentage of gun owners have ever used their gun defensively? 1? 0.5? 0.01%?

#13 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-17 09:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-17 09:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Gun owners really think like this.

And why shouldnt they? The less mechanical something is, the less likely to have a failure.

So? Liberals really think like this.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

#15 | Posted by boaz at 2019-04-17 09:45 AM | Reply

[....meanwhile, Joe furiously Googles...not happy with answer...]

#16 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-04-17 09:57 AM | Reply

Another fine biometric based firearm safety device.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-17 11:33 AM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2019-04-17 08:25 AM | FLAG: "concerning"? Now that is an understatement if I ever heard one.

#18 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-04-17 11:43 AM | Reply

It's a dumb idea.

What if I'm not home and one of my pistols is the most easily accessible line of defense for Mrs. Silence Dogood or Silence Dogood Jr.?

#19 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2019-04-17 01:33 PM | Reply

Joe, I've guns guns drawn on me several times. I was in a home invasion once (the black teens armed to the teeth. One had a MAC-9. If I had been armed I would have shot them all as they came in the door).

A farmer once drew on me because I wondered into his land. He was pretty sten about his property rights. That was a fun conversation.

I was sitting in a partially constructed house with my other teen friends, and the neighbor was a cop (off duty). So this ordinary-looking dork pulls out his .38 and points it us, and he says something really aggressive and stupid, I forgot what - it was 3 decades ago. But my response will live in history: "Let's rush him guys, he can't kill us all".

#20 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-04-17 02:07 PM | Reply

"#13 What percentage of legal gun owners have ever used their weapons in the commission of a crime? 1%? O.5%? .01%?
#14 | POSTED BY MUSTANG"

How many times have guns been used by someone other than their owner to murder someone, injure someone, or commit some other crime?

#21 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-04-17 05:22 PM | Reply

Better to have and not need...
#15 | POSTED BY BOAZ

By owning a gun, you have a 24x greater chance of firearm suicide and a 12x better chance of death by firearm homocide. Do you need those odds? Why is better to have those odds?

#22 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-04-17 05:26 PM | Reply

The other guys were at least kind enough to offer multiple choice.

#23 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-04-17 05:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Don't see the crazy lady in Colorado thread, so I'll stick it here instead.

From the place that sold her the gun she used to kill herself:

We want to inform the public that Sol Pais did in fact, legally, purchase a shotgun at our Littleton location.
She did go through the full background check (4473), and was given a clearance by both NICS and CBI.
We had no reason to suspect she was a threat to either herself or anyone else.
We are very sorry to hear of the outcome in this situation. It is never good when someone loses their life.
We are praying for her family.
And are very thankful this situation did not escalate into a public tragedy.

Josh Rayburn
Colorado Gun Broker

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-17 07:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Nothing can be done.
Thoughts and prayers.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-17 07:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Oh, but if only it were you in charge of us all, Tovarisch.

#26 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-04-17 09:38 PM | Reply

No, the NRA went after Plessy,a British company the owners of S&W at the time. We stopped buying Smith so they would sell it. We won, they did, S&W is now American again and making quality firearms that cannot be jammed by a homemade jammer.

#27 | Posted by Daddukes at 2019-04-18 11:53 AM | Reply

The technology is the issue. Anything that is activated/deactivated by a radio wave can be jammed. This was tested and proven in the 1990s, which is why the technology never went anywhere. We make a huge issue over RFID chip readers, yet what makes this gun work????

#28 | Posted by Daddukes at 2019-04-18 11:56 AM | Reply

I posted that the smart gun is a bad idea for many reasons and someone erased my post!!!!!!!!!!! Why?

#29 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-04-18 11:59 AM | Reply

You don't even need a smart gun. The Smart Gun concept itself is stupid, so people engineered a superior product. You can get a biometric trigger lock right now that will fit any 1911. Smart technology that fits one of the most popular pistols ever and is easily adaptable to many styles of pistols and in no way interferes with the action itself. Fast unlock and a battery that lasts years.

Those have actually made it onto the market. I just wouldn't call them popular.

#30 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-18 12:18 PM | Reply