Monday, April 15, 2019

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) released 10 years of tax returns on Monday, putting to rest criticism that he'd refused to be transparent while showing his best-selling books have made him one of the "millionaires and billionaires" he loves to rail against.

Comments

Yes and he wants his own taxes to go up to.

"Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who is now a millionaire, hit back at criticism of his growing net worth, crediting his book for his cushy financial situation.

"I didn't know that it was a crime to write a good book which turns out to be a best-seller," the 2020 hopeful said Saturday during a Gary, Indiana, community meeting, CNN reported.

Sanders then pointed out that he has advocated for progressive taxation, meaning, "If I make a lot of money, you make a lot of money."

"So again, I don't apologize for writing a book that was No. 3 on the New York Times best-seller, translated into five or six languages and that's that," he added."

#1 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-04-15 11:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

This is all just a distraction so we don't talk about Bernie's policy of removing the skin of every millionaire to fashion moccasins for the poor.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-15 11:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Using Madbomber logic anyone who has a vehicle is part of the 1%.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-04-15 11:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Capitalism and Socialism can work side by side. Capitalism works best where competition is in play. Socialism works best when monopoly is in play.

#4 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-04-15 11:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I've been reading a lot of hostility towards Bernie.

Apparently people seem to think he was against people being rich.

Whoever the troll was that started this is doing his Russian masters proud.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-04-15 11:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

I would say it was most likely started by people who are owned by the insurance companies and those who think that government should keep their hands off of big corporations.

#6 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-04-16 12:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"Apparently people seem to think he was against people being rich."

Serious question:
Has anyone on the riiight not made that claim?

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-16 12:52 AM | Reply

Having a million dollars is a far cry from being a "one percenter"

#8 | Posted by Sezu at 2019-04-16 08:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I don't begrudge Bernie's success nor the money he's made by writing a book.

What I do begrudge him is his behavior on Facebook. I follow him and multiple times a day I get updates in my news feed that are very Trump-like in that they're a picture of Bernie with a quote from Bernie attached to a little screed by Bernie. The self adoration is very very evident and unnecessary.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 10:19 AM | Reply

You aren't dense enough to actually think Bernie himself is running his facebook page are you?

#10 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 10:22 AM | Reply

Bernie has a Socialism problem.

He'd better be prepared to address it.

He honeymooned in the USSR for --- sake.

He is on record as saying, "I am a Socialist."

Having said that, politics is a blood sport and while he probably won't get dinged in the primary for it, the GOP will absolutely hammer him for it in the General and he'd better be prepared for it. "Socialism" may have positive connotations among millenials and Gen Z....not so much for the older population which has the highest percentage of voters as a demographic.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-04-16 10:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#11 I agree with everything you say, Jeff, except I think Bernie himself should bring up the subject during the primaries and begin to address it and not wait until Trump and the GOP go after him if he is the Dem nominee, which I still think he may very well be.

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-16 10:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He honeymooned in the USSR for --- sake.
He is on record as saying, "I am a Socialist."

Those things happened what...40 years ago?

#13 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-16 10:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"things happened what...40 years ago?
You've essentially watched him campaign for president for the last 4 years. If you can't understand what he's about and choose to focus on singular statements/events from half a generation ago, then you're a hack. But we knew that already."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Jeff was pointing out how Bernie will be attacked as the nominee. Trump is himself a hack, so of course he is going to use hack tactics. Jeff also said:

"Here is my personal take: He obviously admired Communism/Socialism earlier in his adulthood. His views have probably evolved over time and he's no longer an actual Socialist."

That's the part Bernie has to make clear to those older voters Jeff mentions, who might not be as amenable to the idea of socialism as younger voters are. My point is, I think he should start sooner rather than later.

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-16 10:46 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY QCP

No, but I would expect him to have some say in what is a very public medium. If he's not at least checking on how his people are doing now and then, that's not a very good sign, is it?

And if one is trying to contrast themselves to Trump behaving in as narcissistic a fashion as Trump is probably not a great idea.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 10:48 AM | Reply

#15, You calling it narcissistic and mentioning "his behavior on Facebook" implied you think he is posting this stuff. It's not a personal page, it's run by his campaign. They are paid to put up stuff about him. Facebook is an advertising platform where you tell them everything about your life so that they can better advertise to you. It's the same thing as Coca-Cola putting up stuff about Coke products. Do you think the CEO of Cocoa-Cola personally approves every thing that goes on their facebook page? I'd bet you $100 Bernie has no idea how to log in and post something to that page.

#16 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 11:01 AM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY JOE

Learn how to read, Li'l Joe.

I'll even put some emphasis to help with comprehension:

Bernie has a Socialism problem.

He'd better be prepared to address it.
He honeymooned in the USSR for --- sake.

He is on record as saying, "I am a Socialist."

#11 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

I was speaking to the reality of political campaigning. Mitt Romney got savaged for an alleged stunt he pulled in High School. He also got savaged for tying a dog crate to the roof of a station wagon. Was all of that stupid things to try and pillory him for? Absolutely. But, that is how negative campaigning works.

Bernie probably won't get dinged in the primary where the word "Socialism" in in vogue these days. But he sure as heck will get hammered for it in the general, fair or not.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-04-16 11:03 AM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

That's exactly what I was trying to convey.

Well stated.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-04-16 11:06 AM | Reply

#16 cool story bro. What part of my second post addressing your first post indicated I still thought Bernie runs his own page?

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 11:07 AM | Reply

#19, The part where you continued to call political campaign posts narcissistic (as if a political campaign can be anything other than that). Really it was the ridiculousness of your first post that made me think you probably needed facebook explained too you a little better.

#20 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 11:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by Sezu

Actually it isn't - it is a 1% income. And he achieved it for 3 years. To be a 1%er you need to have an adjusted gross income of at least $480,930

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-04-16 11:24 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by jpw

Welcome to the new political marketing. Trump certainly took it to the extreme but it worked to build him a base of mindless followers. FORTUNATELY this kind of marketing typically doesn't work on people who aren't Kool-Aid drinkers.

#22 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-04-16 11:26 AM | Reply

If everything known about him is true, he never had a job before his elected position. He lived off of the government as much as possible. So, what he did was get elected and thus rode that train to being a millionaire eventually, off of taxpayer money.

#23 | Posted by humtake at 2019-04-16 12:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It isn't like that for other politicians.

And his feed has been like this for as long as I can remember.

In any case, trotting out the "they're all the same" line is intellectually lazy.

#20 | Posted by qcp

Let me guess, you work in IT/tech and just couldn't pass up an opportunity to share your knowledge with the underlings?

Even though it was clearly a canned speech that wasn't necessary to begin with.

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 12:26 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2019-04-16 10:19 AM | FLAG:

I realize you're in a --- for tat about this with QCP.

But to reemphasize a few points.

Bernie is running for president. He's campaigning. His public Facebook account is run by his campaign and they're attempting to spread his message, keep his base excited about him, and push his ideas. As well as comment on current events.

Your gripe seems a bit trivial and personal.

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-04-16 12:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

JPW,

I don't know about Facebook, but there is a big difference between Bernie's Senate twitter account, which I assume he has some control over:

Bernie Sanders @SenSanders

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont is the longest-serving independent in congressional history.

twitter.com

and his campaign's account, which is obviously run by staff who tweet out on a much more frequent basis:

Bernie Sanders @BernieSanders
U.S. Senator from Vermont and candidate for President of the United States.

twitter.com

#26 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-16 12:35 PM | Reply

It isn't like that for other politicians.

scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net

scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net

scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net

scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net

scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net

I don't really understand the objection to a candidate posting a photo of themselves with some words that they said. Every candidate's page is covered in photos of the candidate. Putting words on it makes it problematic?

#27 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-16 12:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#11 | Posted by JeffJ

I definitely see where you are coming from and it will certainly be played out. But the youth don't care and you can't underestimate their voting power. Boomers are getting older and turnout goes down once you hit 75ish and it goes down fast. The youth overwhelmingly voted for Hillary over Trump even with the populists that went over to Trump. Those Trump voters are mostly disenfranchised now. Honestly it didn't make sense to me they went to Trump in the first place.

BTW Here's a nice synopsis on the Sander's honeymoon - Politifact on Sander's Honeymoon. Bernie knew communism wasn't the solution. I know that from reading his book so at least that is what he was implying IMHO.

Also don't forget that at that time American's in general were tired of the Cold War. And new cracks in the Eastern Bloc/Warsaw Pact were forming everyday. In 1980 in Poland Lech Wałęsa became the de-facto leader of the Polish opposition through the general strike and Gdańsk Agreement that legitimized Solidarity as a legally recognized trade union group. At their Communist Summit meeting in Moscow the communist leaders wanted immediate military intervention in Poland as had happened in the past. Poland wanted to deal with the matter internally and with Jimmy Carter and President-elect Ronald Reagan making calls to Brezhnev the intervention was postponed. I was fascinated by all this as a youth because of my interest in WWII and it's aftermath as well as my extended family members who were escaping Poland and their stories.

Personally what I think is key about the visit is it was really at the beginning of the true end of Warsaw Pact communism by the time of Bernie's visit to the USSR. Negotiations were well under way to bring peace with the West and people were openly questioning communist rule even in the USSR. It's not like you can hold everyone accountable for the Gulag system even if they were in leadership under the Communists. You had to join the party to get ahead at all. The good jobs went to Communist party members period. My understanding is it was a formality more than anything else but yes many took it to heart.

#28 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-04-16 12:41 PM | Reply

It was more that you came across a naïve old fart who mainly uses facebook to look at pictures of your grandchildren but also believes and/or takes at face value everything they see on there.

What can I say, I took pity on you. You seemed deserving of it. Hopefully you'll take what you learned today and apply it to other things you see online.

#29 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 12:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ahhh the corky "I look like a pretentious tool so I'm going to respond with unnecessary condescension" shtick.

Just slink away gracefully.

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 01:14 PM | Reply

Unnecessary? I beg to differ.

#31 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 01:30 PM | Reply

Of course you do. Without smug assumptions of your own intelligence what else do you have?

The entire reason this exchange is hilariously stupid in your account is you blew right by my admission that Sanders doesn't run it.

And in doing so ignored my point that I would expect them to at least be aware of their social media presence enough to realize they're behaving like Trump.

#32 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 01:43 PM | Reply

To which the obvious response would be "maybe they do and they don't care because they're more interested in the recognition and associations they're trying to build than appearing to be like Trump".

Or "they all do that to some degree and have in the past, it just wasn't as apparent because social media wasn't a thing".

#33 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 01:46 PM | Reply

I'll direct your attention to posts 25, 26 and 27, all made after your "admission." I didn't comment further on your Trump point because it wasn't a good one. Anything else?

#34 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 01:53 PM | Reply

Admission doesn't belong in quotes.

Other people's posts don't change your launching an unnecessary diatribe about "how Facebook works".

#35 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 01:55 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY JOE

Just seems a little too God complex to me, as if they're somebody of great meaning saying something profound or original.

Yeah Bernie, we know you're shaking your fist at insurance companies and are really really angry at them.

#36 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 01:57 PM | Reply

Ok. But at least you know he's not the only Dem candidate doing that.

#37 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-16 02:01 PM | Reply

#37 correct. But this is a thread about Bernie and it's my understanding that neither Harris nor Booker have nearly the groomed image of an every man politician like Bernie does. Correct?

#38 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 02:04 PM | Reply

When you quote someone you use quotes, no?

When someone doesn't understand a thing, for example "how Facebook works" or that periods go inside quotation marks when they're at the end of a sentence, it's polite to explain it to them. I was just being polite. :)

i.imgur.com

#39 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 02:04 PM | Reply

Self promoting on Facebook is redundant.
Complaining about it while having a Facebook account and following that person is just wrong.

The whole idea of Facebook is odd to me. Self promoters and snoops.

#40 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-04-16 02:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#38 You're te one who claimed other candidates don't do it. That was wrong. No need to manufacture nuance to get out of it. We've all been there.

#41 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-16 02:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"periods go inside quotation marks when they're at the end of a sentence"

Not true. AP Style allows for both.

If the entire quote is a sentence, I'll put the quote outside the period. If it's a fragment, inside.

#42 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-04-16 02:07 PM | Reply

A quick google search says:

Periods and commas always go within quotation marks. Dashes, semicolons, question marks and exclamation points go within quotation marks when they apply to the quoted matter only. They go outside quotation marks when they apply to the whole sentence.

www.google.com

#43 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 02:14 PM | Reply

You're te one who claimed other candidates don't do it.

Where exactly?

My comments were limited to Sanders until you posted the Harris and Booker links.

I acknowledged as much when I stated that that was an appropriate response.

I mentioned it only because it's another way in which the supposed outsider Sanders is the same as everybody else.

#44 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 02:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Where exactly?

The first line of your #24?

#45 | Posted by JOE at 2019-04-16 02:18 PM | Reply

Self promoting on Facebook is redundant.

Indeed.

Didn't notice it until I started following him.

For me Facebook is sort of like the kitchen junk drawer-it's full of things you think might be useful someday but don't want to get rid of after you've yet to find that thing.

#46 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 02:18 PM | Reply

So basically, periods go within commas...except when they don't.

#47 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-04-16 02:19 PM | Reply

The first line of your #24?

#45 | Posted by JOE

Indeed. Missed that when I reread my comments.

#48 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 02:19 PM | Reply

Irregardless isn't a word.
I don't care what the experts say.

#49 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-04-16 02:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Thank you, #43 - I was actually writing a draft of a cover letter, and realized I boo boo-ed. Good show! #42 seems to be unsure of his grammar skills.

#50 | Posted by Spork at 2019-04-16 02:23 PM | Reply

#47, No. Periods and commas always go within quotation marks. The rest is about other punctuation. At least that's how I'm reading it. Am I missing something?

#51 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 02:23 PM | Reply

Serious question:
Has anyone on the riiight not made that claim?

#7 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-04-16 12:52 AM | FLAG:

Dude. You made that claim 1000x.

#52 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-04-16 02:29 PM | Reply

"No. Periods and commas always go within quotation marks. "

That's silly: if a phrase ends with a comma, that's in??? As in "if a phrase ends with a comma,"

The bride was a newspaper editor. Maybe the rules have changed since then, but she explained it in no uncertain terms: inside or outside, both acceptable.

#53 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-04-16 02:30 PM | Reply

I was not at all surprised to see fox news saying "Bernie is a socialist but he made a lot of money! What a hypocrite!" headline. Selling the LIE that socialists are opposed to people making money.

#54 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-04-16 02:31 PM | Reply

"Periods and commas always go within quotation marks".

Really? Seems, "odd." to always do so.

Irregardless, I shall "continue!" using "them, however I," please,

#55 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-04-16 02:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

55 flagged Abusive

#56 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-04-16 02:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

Sen. Bernie Sanders' staff director, Warren Gunnels, responded cogently days ago when he tweeted: "How can we keep giving more money to the Pentagon than it needs when 40 million live in poverty, 34 million have no health insurance, half of older Americans have no retirement savings, and 140 million can't afford basic needs without going into debt? This is insanity."

Yet most top Democrats keep promoting the guns-and-butter fantasy while aiding and abetting what Dr. King called "the madness of militarism."

#57 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-04-16 02:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

What DID surprise me is to see other news sources pushing that same fallacy.

The DNC is in full attack mode on Bernie.

The Daily Show was ripping into him for supposedly being against the rich.

Even though he never once said he was.

He always said the rich are taking advantage of their workers. They need to be taxed and regulated.

He still says that today.

This is all an attempt to stop his incredible popularity across all parties.

The DNC and the GOP can't have Bernie be our President. He's actually competent and has a plan to fix our federal government and restrain the control the rich currently have over it.

#58 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-04-16 02:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#'s 53 and 55, I didn't make the rules, just pointing them out. Inquiring minds and all that.

The comma and the period always go inside the quotation marks. #APStyleChat https://t.co/56ZLgrzJ1n -- AP Stylebook (@APStylebook) September 25, 2017

#59 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 02:38 PM | Reply

"Serious question:
Has anyone on the riiight not made that claim?
#7 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-04-16 12:52 AM | FLAG:
Dude. You made that claim 1000x.
#52 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER"

I did?

I voted for Sanders in the primary, even after it was clear the superdelegates had the nomination locked up for Clinton.

You sure you don't have me confused with Corky??

#60 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-16 02:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#49 Is irregardless a word?: Usage Guide

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

www.merriam-webster.com

#61 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-16 02:50 PM | Reply

QCP.

It's actually interesting about the rule. I did not know about it.

But. This is a political blog and most of us are hurriedly typing on our smart phones while doing other things simultaneously.

So. Generally we cut each other slack.

If posters figure out they messed up badly, they will correct their mistakes.

On rare occasion, we ask for clarification.

But I warn you. I am a poster who regularly disregards the rules of punctuation.

#62 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-04-16 02:54 PM | Reply

I get it and I'm not usually a grammar nazi, I was pushed in to it. See posts 35, 39 and 42.

www.youtube.com

#63 | Posted by qcp at 2019-04-16 03:08 PM | Reply

Hello. I'm Carajo and I'm an alcoholic.

I know you're talking about Bernie. But I'm an American and I don't give a fluck.

Georgia Bright Engel died at 70 yesterday and that crushed my heart a bit. Why? I had a huge crush on her when I was a child. In fact, the first time I blew a fuse, I was stroking my salami with her on my mind. I yammed myself with such ferocity that I fainted and fell out of my twin sized bed. My parentswww.drudge.com knew nothing of my fantasies about Georgia. They couldn't understand why I liked to watch "The Mary Tyler Moore Show?" Georgia did have some heavy hooters and she was smoking hot. She knew it too, that dirty birdie, and she hid it well behind her innocent mask. I wanted to be her husband. On our honeymoon, she whispered, Not so hard, Carajo. Let my sphincter open on its own. It was like stroking a bass cello.

Now she's gone and I'll never know if she liked sitting on my trikki trakki? (pout)

Now you know just a little more of me and you know nothing of me at all. Thanks your for allowing me to share.

#64 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-04-16 05:05 PM | Reply

Disregarding punctuation can have deadly consequences. Consider:

Let's eat Grandma.

vs.

Let's eat, Grandma.

#65 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-04-16 05:14 PM | Reply

Let's eat Grandma.

vs.

Let's eat, Grandma.

#65 | Posted by mOntecOr

Both seem quite acceptable to me.

Depending on the condition of Grandma.

#66 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-04-16 05:16 PM | Reply

Gross, dude.

#67 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-04-16 05:46 PM | Reply

"Yes and he wants his own taxes to go up to."

PunchyPossum

there is nothing stopping him from paying in more taxes. he can pay in as much as he wants

#68 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-04-16 06:39 PM | Reply

He could have sold $1 ebooks.

Maybe he needs a calculator to figure out how not to be so darn rich.

#69 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-04-16 07:29 PM | Reply

"What DID surprise me is to see other news sources pushing that same fallacy. Just goes to show how there really is no leftist mainstream media. There's fox news insanity, then there's CORPORATE news, and corporations are terrified of bernie and warren and will do everything they can to prevent them from being the nominee."

#70 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-04-16 08:14 PM | Reply

"www.amazon.com"

Is Bernie more of a Snowball, or a Napoleon?

#71 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-04-16 08:16 PM | Reply

"He could have sold $1 ebooks."

Anyone who wants to read his book for free can visit the library.

I don't see the value in criticizing Bernie's success.

#72 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-16 08:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He's definitely got some snowflake in him...I vote snowball.

#73 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-04-16 08:17 PM | Reply

"George Orwell was a committed leftist...and he wrote a whole book about socialists exploiting everyone around them for their own benefit."

And here I thought capitalism was about exploiting everyone around you for your own benefit...

#74 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-16 08:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#66 you a jerky fan?

#75 | Posted by jpw at 2019-04-16 08:50 PM | Reply

When are you idiots going to figure out that we don't hate rich people. We just hate people who got rich on the labor of others who they kept poor and then sneer at the poor.

#76 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-04-16 09:05 PM | Reply

I don't see the value in criticizing Bernie's success.

#72 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-04-16 08:17 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

You're a hypocrite bro. That's why people get annoyed with your comments. At least I'm consistent with my bs

#77 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-04-16 09:39 PM | Reply

HATTER5183

really? you must hate your own.....ask Nancy Pelosi and her Tuna processing plants,.............and too may other Dems that do the same thing

man, do some research before you make that statement

Dems are the party of the Rich

#78 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-04-16 09:59 PM | Reply

"You're a hypocrite bro."

Everyone's a hypocrite, bro.

#79 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-04-16 10:09 PM | Reply

Dems are the party of the Rich

So which is the party of the poor, in your mind?

#80 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-04-16 10:11 PM | Reply

It's never a bad time to grab some more popcorn and cheer on leftist circular firing squads. Clintonistas accusing crazy uncle Bernie of being a grifter - my sides are in orbit!

#81 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-04-16 10:51 PM | Reply

How many more threads on this particular topic are enough, by the way? This is at least the second if not third within the past week. Is someone busy constructing a narrative?

#82 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-04-16 10:52 PM | Reply

Bernie Sanders leads Joe Biden in Emerson national poll of 2020 contenders
www.usatoday.com

coordinated establishment media assault notwithstanding.

#83 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-04-16 11:40 PM | Reply

"coordinated establishment media assault notwithstanding."

Yeah, it looks like the media assault against Biden as "creepy Uncle Joe" had the desired effect.

#84 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-16 11:50 PM | Reply

#84 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

He seems to have survived it. I recently saw a poll where 64% thought his hair-sniffing wasn't a big deal.

#85 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-04-16 11:51 PM | Reply

#84 I don't think they get it. =/

#86 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-04-16 11:58 PM | Reply

#85 He survived it, yes, but he is no longer ahead of Bernie in the polls, so it did hurt him somewhat. Still, better to have the issue come up now rather than later. If it knocks Biden down, better that it does so now.

#87 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 12:01 AM | Reply

So far somebody has done exceedingly well taking whacks at all the Democratic candidates in such a way that their hands are clean. Biden's people blamed Bernie's people for the recent attacks on him, and certainly David Sirota would know how to dump op research without having it tied back to Bernie, but who knows? I do know that for every Democratic candidate other than Bernie, Punchy is ready with a damaging article or two. If Bernie's campaign is behind the attacks on other Dems, he's smart to have others do it for him behind the scenes, because, as he said in the letter he sent earlier this year to his surrogates, whoever wins the nomination will need the votes of people who supported other candidates in the primaries:

As we engage with our opponents in the Democratic primary, we will forcefully present our views and defend ourselves against misrepresentations. But, let us do our very best to engage respectfully with our Democratic opponents - talking about the issues we are fighting for, not about personalities or past grievances. I want to be clear that I condemn bullying and harassment of any kind and in any space.

Remember that our struggle is bigger than a Tweet or a Facebook comment. And remember that our primary opponents are decent people – many have been friends and allies of mine in the Senate.

www.huffpost.com

#88 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 12:15 AM | Reply

Forgot to add this from Bernie's letter:

"Our number one priority is defeating Donald Trump. To do so, we will ultimately have to unite with those who today are our opponents for the Democratic nomination. We won't always agree with them, but I expect those who speak on behalf of my campaign to always engage respectfully."

#89 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 12:19 AM | Reply

Here's the reason I mentioned Sirota:

Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign has been quietly getting advice from journalist David Sirota for months, even as he relentlessly attacked other Democratic candidates, and now he's the senator's speechwriter

David Sirota, a journalist known for his unabashed progressive politics and vicious Twitter-takedowns, has been slamming candidates like Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand, and Beto O'Rourke, on social media, his website, and in columns for the Guardian. All the while, he was advising Sanders' campaign in an unofficial capacity while helping him write early campaign speeches, according to The Atlantic report.

Sirota, who reportedly deleted up to 20,000 tweets on Monday prior to the big announcement, often defended his incendiary attacks on prominent Democrats by citing his position as a journalist.

Guardian editor John Mulholland on Tuesday tweeted, "Once David was approached by Sanders he wrote nothing else for us" and claimed his "last piece for us" was at the end of December.

www.businessinsider.com

This tells me Bernie has got himself a pit bull and is probably playing hardball, behind the scenes at least, with his Democratic challengers. It tells me Bernie is in it to win it.

#90 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 12:28 AM | Reply

David Sirota is an ultra-leftist attack dog and fanboy of Hugo Chavez.

#91 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-04-17 12:40 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

He is a Hugo Coddler...

New Sanders hire, who was critical of Democratic opponents, scrubs internet history
www.cnn.com

Sounds like a winner when you have to scrub your history.

#92 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-04-17 12:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#90 he got a taste of power in 2015 and has been doing anything and everything since to get richer and more powerful.

#93 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-04-17 12:49 AM | Reply

How supporters know he writes these things with a wink and a nod. That's why they go out with razor blades to cut down the left.

#94 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-04-17 12:50 AM | Reply

"I do know that for every Democratic candidate other than Bernie, Punchy is ready with a damaging article or two"
#88 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 12:15 AM |

Shut the FHK up punchy and stop telling the truth about Biden using his own words and political history while I not so subtlety say things against Bernie like he honeymooned in the USSR!
Gal Tuesday

I dont want to go backwards where we have Dems that advocate cutting social security deregulation corporations and cutting the security for the poor, and increasing the war on drugs.

this is Biden's history, if Biden wins or any other Dem running I will support him or her, I will not lie
for them though.
Honestly though how can you basically tell me to shut the fhk up while you dig up old history of Bernie Sanders and try to use that against him but I cant do the same with Biden or other Dems

#95 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-04-17 01:09 AM | Reply

FYI: It is a well known fact that Just Say Yes Nancy Ray-Gun sucked hard donor salami when Ronnie Ray-Gun was running for governor and then POTUS.

I wonder how Bernie's puta puts out for the 1%?

#96 | Posted by MisterCarajo at 2019-04-17 01:13 AM | Reply

Bernie Sanders used to be for stopping illegal immigration ...

Bernie folded like a lawn chair ....

#97 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-04-17 01:16 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#97 | Posted by AndreaMackris at

this old lie

"The attendee also claimed the Vermont senator is "an advocate for open borders."

"I'm afraid you may be getting your information wrong. That's not my view," Sanders said.

"What we need is comprehensive immigration reform," he continued. "If you open the borders, my God, there's a lot of poverty in this world, and you're going to have people from all over the world. And I don't think that's something that we can do at this point. Can't do it. So that is not my position."
04/08/2019 11:22 AM EDT
www.politico.com

#98 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-04-17 01:28 AM | Reply

"Comprehensive immigration reform" aka, turn the Mexicans away at the border.

#99 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-17 07:50 AM | Reply

Gal Tuesday
for them though.

I didn't tell you to shut up. I said, "I do know that for every Democratic candidate other than Bernie, Punchy is ready with a damaging article or two." Which is true. As for Biden specifically, I posted this from an article "Joe Biden Deserves Better Than This":

MFA:
Maybe we don't need to turn everything into kabuki theater.
But let's stop trying to turn Joe Biden into something he isn't and show a little grace. He deserves better. But more importantly, so does our politics.
#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-09 02:01 PM
www.drudge.com

I didn't dig up old articles about Bernie and socialism or his honeymoon in Russia. I pointed out that Bernie needs to address those issues, sooner rather than later IMO, because Trump and the GOP will try to make them issues if/when he is the nominee, which is also true. By addressing them now, Bernie can begin to take away their effectiveness as Trump/GOP talking points later.

#100 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 08:06 AM | Reply

this old lie

Yes, I pointed this out to nulli several times in recent weeks as you know.

#101 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 08:10 AM | Reply

#100 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2019-04-17 08:06 AM | FLAG:

#102 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-04-17 08:25 AM | Reply

"If you want to oppose Joe Biden because he's too centrist, or too socialist, or too old school for your taste -- that's fine."

I only objected to folks trying to turn Biden into a #metoo story, because based on what has come it, it isn't (but that could change). Also, I'm not sure we want to focus on what someone said 40 years ago if they have changed in the meantime, and that goes for Bernie as well as Biden, but the rest is fair game.

#103 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 08:26 AM | Reply

"I thought so to.. then Liawatha actually did the test. It doesn't seem to have worked out that great."

That's because Warren's test results and some Native American elders reaction to them didn't turn out as she expected. Bernie's situation is different. He has a better chance of controlling the narrative by addressing it head on. My 2 cents. YMMV.

#104 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 08:30 AM | Reply

Depending on the condition of Grandma.

#66 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2019-04-16 05:16 PM | FLAG:

Gross, dude.

#67 | POSTED BY MONTECORE

Ok. Now think of grandma as a "cougar". Cougar hunting is pretty fun. There can be gross moments in any Hunt. Like when you eat the heart of your catch. I catch so many cougars on a cougar hunt it's like when a dog catches a car. Don't know what to do with many of them when I catch them. So I release them back into the Wild.

Still gross?? You want real gross?? Life consumes life. That is the Meaning of Life. To consume more life. That is what we do. Then we crap it out our butts. Then we think how special we are!!

Isn't that kinda gross???

#105 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-04-17 09:17 AM | Reply

"That's because Warren's test results and some Native American elders reaction to them didn't turn out as she expected."

The test results showed she had Native American ancestors and Native American leaders felt honored that she was proud of that. The media though has not been kind to her because she is not a corporate stooge as is Joe Biden. The corporations don't want Elizabeth Warren because they know she represents actual regulation and reform and she is smart enough to get it accomplished. Of all the dream candidates I think I would choose her.

#106 | Posted by danni at 2019-04-17 09:20 AM | Reply

Using Madbomber logic anyone who has a vehicle is part of the 1%.

#3 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2019-04-15 11:41 PM | REPLY |

No, it's everyone that has a microwave oven.

#107 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-04-17 09:45 AM | Reply

"The corporations don't want Elizabeth Warren because they know she represents actual regulation and reform and she is smart enough to get it accomplished."

The Republican Party Is Making America Great Again -- for Plutocrats and Well-Heeled Thieves

Mick Mulvaney's tenure at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau proves a crooked bureaucrat can make any law a dead-letter.

Which brings us to the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau, the brainchild of Senator Professor Warren, an agency that has returned billions of dollars to citizens swindled, burgled, or double-talked out of their money by large financial institutions. The Republicans -- and, especially, their donor class -- hated the CFPB and vowed to bring it down at the first opportunity. They got one with the election of the current president*, who quickly put Mick Mulvaney in charge of it. And it was Mulvaney's primary task to hollow out the CFPB's essential functions.

In an upcoming New York Times Magazine, Nick Confessore provides a definitive account of how well this strategy still works.

"Mulvaney's careful campaign of deconstruction offers a case study in the Trump administration's approach to transforming Washington, one in which strategic neglect and bureaucratic self-sabotage create versions of agencies that seem to run contrary to their basic premises. According to one person who speaks with Mulvaney often, his smooth subdual of the C.F.P.B. was part of his pitch to Trump for his promotion to White House chief of staff -- long one of the most powerful jobs in Washington. Mulvaney's slow-rolling attack on the bureau's enforcement and regulatory powers wasn't just one of the Trump era's most emblematic assaults on the so-called administrative state. It was also, in part, an audition."

Confessore goes deep on how the CFPB was developed and, more to the point, why it was developed in the first place.

www.esquire.com

Mick Mulvaney's Master Class in Destroying a Bureaucracy From Within

The C.F.P.B. was created to protect Americans from predatory lenders after the financial crisis. President Trump's new chief of staff took it apart on his way to White House.

www.nytimes.com

#108 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 09:50 AM | Reply

"The test results showed she had Native American ancestors and Native American leaders felt honored that she was proud of that. The media though has not been kind to her because she is not a corporate stooge as is Joe Biden."

To me, the media's handling of "But Pocahontas" is the new "But her emails." FWIW, I don't think the media has been particularly kind to Biden either.

#109 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-04-17 09:52 AM | Reply

Creepy Unlce Joe is only a problem in the primary and he already seems to be weathering that storm. Creepy Uncle Joe is nothing compared with ------------- Trump.

#110 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-04-17 10:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The following HTML tags are allowed in comments: a href, b, i, p, br, ul, ol, li and blockquote. Others will be stripped out. Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Anyone can join this site and make comments. To post this comment, you must sign it with your Drudge Retort username. If you can't remember your username or password, use the lost password form to request it.
Username: