Saturday, April 13, 2019

Jason Padgett sees maths everywhere. Even something as ordinary as brushing his teeth is governed by mathematics -- he turns the tap on and dips his toothbrush into the water 16 times.

Comments

To me the number-line is yellow.I can see into the place where the numbers come together (and I'm damn good at it) but I have never heard of anything like this before.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-04-13 07:18 AM | Reply

He got some sense knocked into him

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-04-13 10:34 PM | Reply

I think I have this from a head injury. Except it only allows me to evenly apply spreads to bread, and pour a very flat slab.

#3 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-04-13 10:40 PM | Reply

And, perhaps, indescretely apply commas.

#4 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-04-13 10:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I don't understand Jason's hexadecimal toothbrush because I see the dipping as linear and variable. Reading the article I was impressed by the number of occurrences in which working solutions were visually presented as constants. I guess fractals need patterns not random generation.

Synaesthesia must carry a price in terms of the trade-off between abilities and the gross change that has occurred.
In the story A Beautiful Mind, John Nash was able to calculate odds of getting the blond. Maybe Jason can have his old life back and his cake too.

Goin' to Vegas...

#5 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-04-13 10:53 PM | Reply

Quite a story. And not as unique as we might think. During a panel discussion at a symposium several years ago, we in the audience heard from a former auto mechanic who'd had a traumatic brain injury and suddenly found himself with the ability to understand complex astrophysics equations. He went on to college and got a PhD in astrophysics, the field he was working in at the time.

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-04-14 03:18 PM | Reply

Anyone seen Sniper?

Maybe we can make him a genius.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2019-04-14 04:02 PM | Reply

Acquiring altered perception and becoming a synesthete via brain damage does not a genius make. This is an interesting story but I don't see anything about any contributions made by Padgett other than a memoir and speaking tour.

"Since his diagnosis, Padgett has published a book about his experience called Struck by Genius, he's toured the world telling people his story and educating them about maths. He is aiming to help others who have had unique or rare/interesting lives by getting their stories published or made into movies. He even sells his drawings of fractals."

""I see it [beauty] everywhere," he says. He is mesmerised by simple things that most people don't even notice such as raindrops falling on a puddle."

That's all fine and I'm glad the guy is okay, but how is this fundamentally different from some college student who took LSD or mushrooms and started drawing fractals and imagining insights, aside from the duration of the condition?

So-called "science journalism" is utter trash. Prove me wrong.

#8 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-04-15 02:55 AM | Reply

I just lightly bumped my head and realized that the following excerpt contains a comma-splice. Where's the article about me?

"Since his diagnosis, Padgett has published a book about his experience called Struck by Genius, he's toured the world telling people his story and educating them about maths. "

#9 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-04-15 03:02 AM | Reply

Finally someone luckier than Ringo Star.

#10 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-04-15 09:08 AM | Reply

Anyone seen Sniper?

Maybe we can make him a genius.

#7 | POSTED BY TOR

We can start a raffle to decide who gets to whack him real hard on the noggin.

I want 20 tickets please. 🎫

I suspect it will take a few practice whacks to get it right.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-04-15 10:07 AM | Reply

Sometimes when I smell certain smells I see numbers in my head. Like the cherry blossoms around my area always make me think of the number 11. It only happens with certain smells-- especially floral ones, and I have never really fully understood why, but it is a constant source of fascination.

I used to joke about it in college and crack up my fellow Phi Taus. I would pick up a flower and say "7!" to my buddies. Then I'd pick up something else and say "9!" Then I would go over to our tropical fish tank, take a deep whiff and yell "69!" Sophomoric humor definitely, but it was good fun while it lasted.

#12 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-04-15 11:32 AM | Reply