Monday, March 25, 2019

The sister of a woman who spent some of her final hours waiting in a New Brunswick emergency room says she believes the wait contributed to her death. Donna Bordage says Marianne Porter waited for 11 hours in the Moncton Hospital before being seen. Bordage said her sister spent that time hunched over and moaning in pain, and she believes the wait contributed to her death only hours later."She was having a hard time breathing, she was visibly uncomfortable, she couldn't stand up, she couldn't eat," Bordage said.

Comments

July 29 2018 - Mother of Dead Woman Says Medics Told Her She Could Not Afford Ambulance

Nov 8 2018 - Hospital apologizes for death of woman at locked ER's door

Jan 17 2019 - A woman had a stroke next to one of Wisconsin's best hospitals. But her ambulance was turned away - and she died

#1 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-03-25 01:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I have twice been taken to a hospital from calling 911 and having fire & rescue to arrive and transport me. At neither time was I asked for payment in advance. The first time I was admitted and there was not cost to me. The second time I was not admitted and the cost was $700, billed to me after the fact.

#2 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-03-25 01:45 PM | Reply

The second link I can't read because I won't subscribe to them or or join using my FB account.

#3 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-03-25 01:47 PM | Reply

From link 3:

Federal law requires hospitals to treat patients who arrive in their emergency room and make sure they are stable before releasing or transferring them. That applies to everyone who walks in the door of any of the nation's 5,500 hospitals. But if you're in an ambulance that's ordered not to come, the law is irrelevant.

Don't blame the hospital.

#4 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-03-25 01:50 PM | Reply

All hail government healthcare.

Tell me one thing he government does right.

#5 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-03-25 02:44 PM | Reply

All hail government healthcare.

Tell me one thing he government does right.

#5 | Posted by Sniper

If only you guys were so quick to jump to conclusions based on a single instance in everything else.

In that world guns would be banned, religion would be no more, the GOP would be the party of gays, perverts and crazies and most of you would finally freely admit you're idiots.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2019-03-25 07:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I think the difference is that Canada is one of those places where healthcare is a right. Clearly that's not the case in Canada. I don't know that the US has ever made the claim.

That being said, ERs anywhere are full of ------- clogging up beds. IN contrast to what you've presented, my understanding is that ERs are not able to turn people away. Your posts give me hope. Maybe they can.

At least in the US.