Monday, March 25, 2019

The humble rat shares physiology and neurology very similar to humans, which is why it has proved such a popular test subject. In fact, around 75 Nobel Prizes have been awarded to studies which used rats or mice as test subjects. And it has now emerged the secretive rodents might have been hiding language skills all this time too.

Comments

20 ‘Words'

"Put Mod-RAT on Speed Dial"... in Ultrasonic.

How many words was that?

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-03-25 07:24 AM | Reply

I am not sure I would trust this study or article but rats are fairly smart animals, a lot smarter than people give them credit for

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-03-25 07:45 AM | Reply

rats are fairly smart animals

Dude... I had to study Contract Law (British, of course) for my MBA degree. Contract Law isn't Criminal Law but still... there is some overlap.

So let me tell you, Mod-Rat is not as smart a lawyer as he.. or anyone.. thinks. Making criminals walk free isn't so hard when you realize you can ALWAYS trust a cop to mess up the chain of evidence. You just got to know where to look.

Don't be too impressed by smart Rats.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-03-25 08:59 AM | Reply

I've identified some RAT words.
Collusion
Explosive!!
dotard
Orange
Impeach!
Rapist

#4 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-03-25 09:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

#2 - A great big one become our President, one smart rat but even his vocabulary is limited.

#5 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2019-03-25 11:56 AM | Reply

More than enough words to onverse with a lib.

#6 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-03-25 02:22 PM | Reply

More than enough words to onverse with a lib.

#6 | POSTED BY SNIPER

We know. You prove it by conversing with us every day. Unfortunately your 20 words aren't enough to get you to understand what we're talking about.

#7 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-25 03:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Wait. MAGA is a rat word? This study is nothing but lies.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-03-25 04:34 PM | Reply

Rat words are all one syllable.

President Bucket of ---- can only speak one syllable words.

President Bucket of ---- is a rat.

#9 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-03-25 04:35 PM | Reply

Woah. Syntax? Animals use signals, not words that make sentences. I've done a lot of hunting, I understand them. Still reading....

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-03-25 04:40 PM | Reply

DeepSqueak. They're onto us. But it wont help them in time.

Mice and rats have over a hundred signals. For instance, if they move their cute little paws over each other in a circular motion, that means they are confused. I guess combining a very basic syntactical language with normal animal signals would be a big advantage. And they are communal, so I guess this would be emergent.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-03-25 04:59 PM | Reply

I saw a rat caught in one of those traps on youtube using electrical charges to act as a AED.

I heard more than 20 'words' in that video and I am sure I heard expletives, too, but they may have been censored.

#12 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-03-26 11:23 AM | Reply

20 we can understand.

As the documentary Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series indicated, rats merely use us as reverse test subjects. Truly diabolical, and only closely followed by the dolphin in intelligence, with humanity a distant third.

#13 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-03-26 01:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The mice tried to warn us the planet was going to be blown up, but we humans didn't listen. The dolphins listened and thanked us for all of the fish before they left.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-26 02:00 PM | Reply