Sunday, March 24, 2019

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski announced on Instagram Sunday night that he is retiring. He wrote, "It all started at 20 years old on stage at the NFL draft when my dream came true, and now here I am about to turn 30 in a few months with a decision I feel is the biggest of my life so far. I will be retiring from the game of football today. I am so grateful for the opportunity that Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick gave to me when drafting my silliness in 2010."

Comments

Future HoF candidate! Congrats to him for a great career, and I wish him a healthy time in retirement. I would be surprised that he couldn't wait until Brady retires, but his injury history has become quite lengthy over the last few seasons. Maybe the Pats will like to trade the Bucs for a similar pass catching TE - Cameron Brate.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-03-24 08:04 PM | Reply

He´s going on to host the Today Show or any one of the those, shirtless of course.

#2 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2019-03-25 06:46 AM | Reply

After 10yrs??? What a lightweight.

#3 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-03-25 07:13 AM | Reply

Wants to spend more time with girlfriend Camille Kostek--I cannot blame him...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2019-03-25 09:33 AM | Reply

Bye Felicia

#5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-03-25 10:26 AM | Reply

Steroids can only hold you over so long.

#6 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-03-25 12:23 PM | Reply

He'll take his THREE SUPER BOWL RINGS and call it a day. WWE?

#7 | Posted by babyhuey at 2019-03-25 10:39 PM | Reply

He was on stage, 9 years old, and his on stage "when (his) dream came true"?

He's 29.
minus 20.
9 years old.

There's more to this, or he's retiring just in time.

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2019-03-25 10:44 PM | Reply

He'll take his THREE SUPER BOWL RINGS and call it a day. WWE?

POSTED BY BABYHUEY AT 2019-03-25 10:39 PM | REPLY

It helps when you cheat to win.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-03-25 11:27 PM | Reply

After 10yrs??? What a lightweight.
#3 | POSTED BY ANGRYDAD

Perhaps ... why don't you try out let us know how it goes ....

Rumor is he only spent his endorsement money, still has the 60M minus taxes.... of course...

It helps when you cheat to win.
#9 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

What do you care? He's paying taxes....

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-03-25 11:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by YAV

No offense, but you mighta mis-read something...

#11 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-03-26 07:03 AM | Reply

For a dude who looks like a lunk, he's been surprisingly smart with his money, career, and ability to stay out of trouble. He will be missed in the NFL.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-03-26 07:15 AM | Reply

There's more to this, or he's retiring just in time.
#8 | POSTED BY YAV

He's missed playing time during the last 5 seasons due to injury, including eight games two years ago due to major back and chest surgery. His likely wasn't going to be any healthier in the upcoming seasons. Not everyone at the position can be Tony Gonzalez and play for 10+ years at a high level.

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-03-26 07:17 AM | Reply

After 10yrs??? What a lightweight.

He wants to have half a brain when he's 50. Good on him.

He made millions playing a game, and can continue making money off endorsements, movie/tv deals, etc. all without getting smashed into by 300lb roided up lunatics. I'd do the same thing.

#14 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-26 07:59 AM | Reply

Football is such a violent sport. More and more players are going to retire earlier in their careers. A Michigan grad - left tackle Jake Long - #1 pick in the draft when he came out of college - retired after 10 years and cited his personal health as the reason.

#15 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-26 08:08 AM | Reply

This is horrible news. I suppose he could no longer stand the idea of helping trump destroy America.

#16 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-03-26 11:40 AM | Reply

No offense, but you mighta mis-read something...

ah. "At 20 years old" - thanks OCU.

#17 | Posted by YAV at 2019-03-26 05:26 PM | Reply

OCU?

I'm packing it in on this thread. Looks I need to be retiring!

Thanks AngryDad!