Monday, March 25, 2019

Samuel Adams dedicated it's new lager to Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Called "When There Are Nine," the Belgian Brut IPA is a nod to a quote from the justice who reportedly said, "There will be enough women on the Supreme Court when there are nine."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

At Samuel Adams, we brewed a Belgian Bruit IPA on International Women's Day and will release it in our Tap Room on March 29. We are dedicating this brew to feminist icon Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and naming it When There Are Nine, inspired by her famous response to the question "When will there be enough women on the Supreme Court?". (We wanted to name it Brut Bader Ginsburg but our legal team, uh, dissented.)

Comments

Tasting notes: great label, unique taste, and weak body,

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-03-23 08:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Bud Light doesn't need to change anything to dedicate a beer to trump; it already tastes like piss.

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-25 12:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 5

No sweetness at all, just dried out and bitter. That's what a brut ipa is. Hilarious they'd choose that flavor profile for her.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-25 12:08 PM | Reply

It's Called "When There Are Nine"!!

I knew it. RBG is an Agent of the Nine!

So that is what they look like under all that garb.

www.destinypedia.com

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-03-25 01:10 PM | Reply

Bitter is the greatest adjective that can be applied to a beer.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2019-03-25 01:20 PM | Reply

No sweetness at all, just dried out and bitter. That's what a brut ipa is.
#3 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Bitter, and flavorful as a beer should be. Drink a cider if you want something sweet.

#6 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-25 01:30 PM | Reply

Beer isn't supposed to be sweet.

#7 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-03-25 01:30 PM | Reply

Well that's two that don't know anything about beer, and at least one that doesn't know anything about cider.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-25 01:50 PM | Reply

Pale, bitter, hard to swallow, breaks when dropped...

#9 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-03-25 02:45 PM | Reply

I've pissed away more knowledge of beer than you've ever had, Sitzbath.

#10 | Posted by rcade at 2019-03-25 02:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

I've pissed away more knowledge of beer than you've ever had, Sitzbath.

#10 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2019-03-25 02:49 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Ooh, yeasty!

#11 | Posted by cbob at 2019-03-25 03:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I've pissed away more knowledge of beer than you've ever had, Sitzbath.

#10 | POSTED BY RCADE

Give him a break. He is a Republican. He considers Bud Light to be "good beer". And he likes to drink it while he eats a steak in the Republican style - well done and with ketchup.

#12 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2019-03-25 04:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#8 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

I don't know anything about cider because I drink beer. Enlighten me.

#13 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-25 04:18 PM | Reply

Actually, he's a Libertarian.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-25 04:21 PM | Reply

Actually, he's a Libertarian.

#14 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

That's just a republican that never grew up. Or a republican that smokes weed.

#15 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-25 04:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Actually, he's a Libertarian.

#14 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Well... I will concede that he might not have his steaks cooked "Republican Style" then.

#16 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2019-03-25 04:40 PM | Reply

Though... I do have to say that Libertarians are as bad as communists. Ask one for an example of a country where their government is functioning successfully and they will give the same answer...

(cue whiny voice)

"Well, no one has ever implemented it correctly."

#17 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2019-03-25 04:43 PM | Reply

I've pissed away more knowledge of beer than you've ever had, Sitzbath.

#10 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2019-03-25 02:49 PM

I'll put my brewing trophies up against yours old man. Your sycophants here have to google what a brut beer is.

#18 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-25 05:02 PM | Reply

I don't know anything about cider because I drink beer. Enlighten me.

#13 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES AT 2019-03-25 04:18 PM | FLAG:

Dry cider has less residual sugar than any beer you drink.

Arguing beer with people who don't even know what bjcp categories are. F me I've sunk low.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-25 05:03 PM | Reply

Rcade, I'll hold your pocket protector and Members Only jacket!
-corky

#20 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-03-25 05:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Time for some beer education.

A brut beer is one with amyloglucosidase added. Ale yeast usually eats 70% to 80% of available sugar. The rest stays in your beer. The alcohol-sugar balance is what makes beer good (and why most of you are fat slobs). The additional enzyme causes the beer to ferment out completely and leave no residual sugar, given you an exceedingly dry, unbalanced gimmick of a beer (works in cider too). It's truly the beer of champagnes. Unbalanced, dried out and harshly bitter. Funny style choice for RGB for sure.

#21 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-25 05:13 PM | Reply

At least it's not a NEIPA.

#22 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-25 05:15 PM | Reply

Brut beer?
Brewed with a couple sausages thrown into the fermentation tank.
"Yummerz"

#23 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-03-25 05:15 PM | Reply

This is the first time I've witnesded an I've got the biggest dick argument over brewing beer.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-25 05:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

You have a laughably bad pallet, sitz. Enjoy your added malt-sugar sweet beers. If you like any residual sugar in your beer, you clearly don't like beer. Have you ever had Sangria? Seems right up your alley.

#25 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-25 05:48 PM | Reply

Trying too hard. Come back when you understand what attenuation is.

#26 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-25 06:05 PM | Reply

I'm pretty sure Dr Jones drinks Zima and California Cooler.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-25 06:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm pretty sure Dr Jones drinks Zima and California Cooler.

#27 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

I don't even know what the ---- that is.

Statistically there is a 99.9% chance I know more about beer and the flavor preferences of craft beer drinkers than Sitz which is why I find his insistence that sweet beers are better hilarious. While there is no objective measure of "better", there is certainly a thing called majority consensus and the majority of people that claim to like beer prefer a more bitter beer; that's just a part of how taste buds work. There's a reason people move toward higher IBUs as they drink beer. Perhaps Sitz is 21 and new to game, perhaps those "No Corn Syrup" Bud Light ads have gotten to him.

#28 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-25 07:40 PM | Reply

There's a reason people move toward higher IBUs as they drink beer.

The reason is that sweet sweet burn. Sitz can have his Candy Land beers. Give me a double IPA so bitter that my face feels like I was married to Ike Turner. If I've finished my third glass of a beer and I don't want to start a fight I made a poor choice.

I like my beer strong and thick like my women.

#29 | Posted by rcade at 2019-03-25 08:10 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Sounds like a couple of pints of Guinness' (in Ireland, not the watered down swill we get in the States) would provide you with the necessary guidance that you crave.

#30 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-25 08:50 PM | Reply

If you want to fight, on a budget, I recommend 40's of OE.

#31 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-03-25 09:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Come back when you understand what attenuation is.
#26 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

We're talking signals now? I think there are some crossed wires here, I'm going to call interference on the play.

#32 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-03-25 09:11 PM | Reply

I was always partial to King Cobra when I wanted a good fighting 40.

Don't Let The Smooth Taste Fool You

#33 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-25 09:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

I recommend 40's of OE. #31 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

Worse than shotgunning a 40 of steel reserve?

#34 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-03-25 09:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#34. Pretty hard to shotgun anything in a bottle, Noles. Throw some Steel Reserve, or Mongoose, into a bong and it's game-on!

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-25 09:20 PM | Reply

When I finished flight training in the mid 80s a couple of guys and I went out in Pensacola and got into a OE 40sfest with a few of the locals...a broken left hand and a way too kind SP Master Chief (who kept me out of the brig) later, I belatedly learned the power of OE.

Best line of the next day was uttered by the Marine Medical Officer when my CO asked if the broken left hand would affect flight duty: "Naw, he jerks off and flies with his right...I hope."

#36 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-25 09:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I've never tried steel reserve. The shotgunning adds a whole new element though, and will surely increase the violence factor.

I'd still rather the OE because the empty 40oz bottle will come in handy when you kick off the fisticuffs...

#37 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-03-25 09:24 PM | Reply

I have had a few brut IPAs and they all sucked. As does most anything by Sam Adams.

The only time for Sam Adams is in small market airport bars where the other choices are worse.

Speaking of airports, I was in Dulles the other day and the airport still has a smoking lounge. It's a nice reminder that the birthplace of Presidents is still proudly cultivating a plant that kills 1,300 Anericans a day and 7,000,000 people a year globally.

I'd much rather die of alcoholism!

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-25 09:26 PM | Reply

"I've never tried steel reserve."

But...I thought you were a connoisseur???

It compares favorably to Heilman's Black Label 11-11, but not as good as St. Ides.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-25 09:29 PM | Reply

Antichrist Supreme

RBG was the biggest propaganda piece I've ever seen.

She distorts the law and I've seen her distort the facts of cases in her twisted decisions.

She'll be out of the SCOTUS before trump is out of office, I predict.

#40 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-03-25 09:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Pliney the Elder- Russian River Brewing Company simply superb

Eye of the Hawk- Mendocino Brewing Co went out of business which was a tragedy they also made Red Hawk and Blue Heron

Cascade Amber Ale- The Tied House available only in kegs or by the glass

Blonde Boch- Gordon-Biersch also their almost sweet Amber Ale

India Pale Ale- Squatters Brewing Company perfectly balanced

Devastator- Wasatch Brewing Co smoky flavor

All use hops, none are exceptionally bitter, yet all are uniquely excellent

#41 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-03-25 09:49 PM | Reply

All use hops, none are exceptionally bitter, yet all are uniquely excellent

Aye laddie, but will they make you fight like a Highlander?

#42 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-25 09:51 PM | Reply

I like my beer strong and thick like my women.

#29 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2019-03-25 08:10 PM | REPLY | FLAG

I'm thick honey. Maybe we should talk sweetie. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#43 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-03-25 10:07 PM | Reply

#30 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

I will always agree with you on this one, RoC.

#44 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-26 10:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

For some reason Network engineers brew beer. On the first decent weekend we have our annual spring Beer B Que. Multiple kegs of home brews and several smokers plus 30 geeks equals a really good time.

#45 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-03-26 10:49 AM | Reply

I'm with Sitz. I fail understand the appeal of a brut. I'll put my trust in beers the Trappists have been brewing since Jesus was a boy.

#46 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-03-26 12:04 PM | Reply

And the crap isn't fit to drink.

#47 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-03-26 05:27 PM | Reply

RBG Lager - We searched the world over to find just 10 acres of hops that had the required aroma of mothballs and pee.

#48 | Posted by Spork at 2019-03-26 06:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Perhaps Sitz is 21 and new to game

#28 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES AT 2019-03-25 07:40 PM | REPLY

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the bluebonnet stein's I've won clinking. Poor hipsters, still stuck on IPAs. You'll grow up eventually.

#49 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-27 07:10 AM | Reply

Talking about sugar sweet beers while drinking an IPA. Jesus help y'all. You're drinking sugar water masked by hops, usually badly made, acting like it's a fine, dry belgian beer. IPAs are the beer you make when you suck at making beer because the hops try to cover up the glaring flaws.

#50 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-27 07:14 AM | Reply

It's possible to like a well-executed IPA, admit that there are too many bad ones out there, and also enjoy other styles of beer. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

#51 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-27 08:03 AM | Reply

You're being goofy, Sitz. The existence of a bad beer in a style doesn't mean everything in that style is bad. You're like a guy who tells everybody not to have sex because he had a soul-scarring experience with a hooker. I'm sorry she stuck a thumb up your backside by surprise. She should've asked first.

There are excellent IPAs. Stone, Ballast Point, Bear Republic and Alpine make great ones. Here in Florida, Cigar City Jai Alai is loved by everybody I introduce it to.

I love the Belgian beer styles, but I can find a good local IPA in any city faster than I can find a good local Belgian.

#52 | Posted by rcade at 2019-03-27 11:05 AM | Reply

This beer got me both into, and out of, a 3-week vacation on the DR a couple of years ago:

www.darkhorsebrewery.com

#53 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-27 11:28 AM | Reply

I'm a big fan of Gulden Draak.

#54 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-27 11:29 AM | Reply

I don't dislike them. I will drink them if I can't find something more interesting. I've tasted IPAs that score higher than Pliny elder & younger, Jai Alai, Yellow Rose, etc. You keep talking standard American/West Coast/East Coast IPAs.

This RBG beer is not one of those.

This topic is about a brut IPA. It's a sub-style, not a brand. It's overly dried out and unbalanced by design. As a choice for a tribute beer, that's funny. Tribute? Troll? Both?

#55 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-03-27 11:44 AM | Reply

You keep talking standard American/West Coast/East Coast IPAs.

I drink the best stuff I'm able to find out here. I chased Pliny for a while to no avail.

#56 | Posted by rcade at 2019-03-27 12:29 PM | Reply

#56 I happen upon some Pliny from time to time, If I can snag one and send it to you, I will. Still waiting to try "The Younger", though.

#57 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-27 12:52 PM | Reply

Poor hipsters, still stuck on IPAs.
#49 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Your beer preferences are pathetic prohibition legacies. Its okay you have an underdeveloped beer pallet, but you don't need to be such an ------- about it.

#58 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-27 12:54 PM | Reply

"Jai Alai, Yellow Rose, etc."

"This topic is about a brut IPA. It's a sub-style, not a brand. It's overly dried out and unbalanced by design."

#55 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Oh boy, really pinning down those supermarket specials there, Sitz. Again, your opinion is valid, it just echoes the opinion of novice beer drinkers. That's understandable. Brut's aren't meant to appeal to beer noobs.

#59 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-27 12:56 PM | Reply

#54 As am I. It's the one beer you will always find at my house.

#60 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-03-27 01:00 PM | Reply

Jeff, try Pere Jacques from Goose Island Beer Co. You won't regret it.

#61 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-03-27 01:05 PM | Reply

..and for you Puget Sound types...hop a ferry to the Kitsap side and find the Silver City Brewing Company. It's been many years since I was there, but they made some bocks and scotch ales that were fan-damn-tastic.

#62 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-03-27 01:12 PM | Reply

Jeff, try Pere Jacques from Goose Island Beer Co. You won't regret it.

#61 | POSTED BY MUSTANG ECOBOOST

I'll keep that in mind if I come across it.

#63 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-27 03:39 PM | Reply