Friday, March 22, 2019

Emilia Clarke revealed on Thursday that she has undergone two brain surgeries in the last eight years. The "Game of Thrones" star made the revelation in a story she wrote for the New Yorker. She said her health problems began in 2011.

Comments

the new charity, SameYou, that provides treatment for people recovering from brain injuries and strokes.

www.sameyou.org

this story and cute video

www.rollingstone.com

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2019-03-21 11:23 PM | Reply

My soon to be wife suffered a stroke in Palo Alto after we first got to California in the early '80's. She was 27. There was the sound of a football game coming through the window that afternoon from Stanford's stadium. I could watch on TV and get the sound live.

She came down the stairs wandered around, and refused, so I thought, to speak to me. This went on for a few minutes before I realized something was wrong; she couldn't speak. I rushed her to the hospital and watched in horror as she was put in the big machine which then displayed her brain patterns on computer screens in front of me in an adjacent room. The doctor and I watched as one side of her brain filled up with blood. He didn't think she would make it, but she did.

Apparently it had been caused by birth control pills and moderate drinking. Her family is all medical, her father the Chief Surgeon at a hospital in MA, her mother and sister nurses. We flew her to Boston General where she got great care. She had aphasia and had to learn to speak again. She had never had a strong NE accent, but her Speech Therapist did and after many months, so did she.

She is an artist, but that side of her brain was damaged, and she had to learn to draw from the other side of her brain, kinda like a popular book at the time, the 1979 book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Two years after the stroke, she had our only child.

Many years later she related her experience while in the machine... familiarly, she saw a bright light that guided her to some relatives, particularly aunts who had passed, and they told her that she couldn't stay... she really wanted to stay; because she had something to do before she could come back. She always said that was to have our daughter.

This article reminded me strongly of all that, and I'm sure others have themselves or have had loved ones that experienced something similar. The charity Ms Clarke started seems like a really good idea.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have the resources we did at the time... no matter how some people might think they ought to.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2019-03-21 11:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

"Apparently it had been caused by birth control pills and moderate drinking."

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine who was on the pill and drank and smoked.

I didn't even know you weren't supposed to do that.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-21 11:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yeah, neither did we. First thing I did was to tear apart the pill packaging looking for the disclaimers. I wanted to sue/kill someone or something. The legalese was like 100 micro pages of nuh-uhs.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2019-03-22 12:40 AM | Reply

Yeah, smoked was part of the problem, too. I had forgotten about that.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2019-03-22 12:41 AM | Reply

#2 | Posted by Corky

Even children who've died and were revived relate the same basic experience your significant other experienced in the MRI. One of the best books I've read on the topic of dying and coming back is Betty J Eadie's "Embraced By The Light."

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-03-22 02:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't doubt the stories, I merely ascribe them to the DMT.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-22 02:23 AM | Reply

For example, why wouldn't you encounter strangers as you make the traverse to heaven?
It's just your own memories unfurling.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-22 02:28 AM | Reply

Guys, I work in visual imaging and if you deallocate the elements of the neural network on by one, until it can longer adjust and it "dies", what it sees towards the end is a tunnel of light and the things most important to it like mirages. But I don't think we are simply Hebbian learning machines - it's more more like a vessel you would pour something of higher order into.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-03-22 02:51 AM | Reply

Such as grammar or spelling.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-03-22 02:54 AM | Reply

HELIUMRAT

An agnostic neurosurgeon had a near death experience and wrote a book about it called "Proof of Heaven."

He knows the science. In his book he wrote extensively about how what happened to him should not have been possible with his cortex completely shut down. It made a believer of a former skeptic that we're more than just flesh and blood.

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-03-22 12:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Holy Sheet, at such a young age.

#12 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-03-22 08:27 PM | Reply