Thursday, March 21, 2019

Labrador retrievers aren't letting go of their hold on U.S. dog lovers, but German shorthaired pointers are tugging on the top ranks of doggy popularity, according to new American Kennel Club data. Labs topped the list for the 28th year in a row. [snip]

Labs smashed the record for longest tenure as top dog back in 2013. Fans credit the Lab's generally amiable nature and aptitude in many canine roles: bomb-sniffer, service dog, hunters' helper, dog-sport competitor and patient

Comments

The Lab is a great breed of dog. Although I'm a bit biased. We had a yellow lab and she was 14 when we put her down. That was in 2011. Dogs lives are way too short.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-21 12:56 PM | Reply

My Chocolate was only 9 when he passed back in 2009. He sure was a ham. I adopted a boxer/lab mix a few years ago.

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-03-21 02:02 PM | Reply

Ive liked every lab I've ever met. Great dogs. They're just not going to work for me.

I live on a creek and the damn thing would always be wet and muddy. Plus they're prone to barking and annoying as hell when you stop playing fetch.

#3 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-03-21 02:16 PM | Reply

You're right about being wet and muddy, Chair.

Labs love water. Hell, they have webbed feet.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-21 02:19 PM | Reply

Never met one I didn't like, love those dags. I'm partial to northern european breeds, got a karelian and a laponian herder. The karelian makes me seriously consider a nice, dependent lab next time around...ottodog is a blast tho.

#5 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-03-21 04:22 PM | Reply

I have a 9yr old boxer. I think next time, it will be two boxers.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-03-22 08:52 AM | Reply

An ex girlfriend's black lab, Daisy, once helped me down from a bad trip (coincidentally brought on by my heartless ex-girlfriend). That dog just knew I needed her in that moment. I'll never forget the way she rested her head in my lap and stared up at me. I've loved the breed ever since.

#7 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-03-22 09:34 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

Cool anecdote. Their temperament is one of the reasons the breed is so popular.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-24 12:53 PM | Reply