Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Recordings resurfaced by Media Matters for America Sunday evening revealed Fox News host Tucker Carlson comparing women to dogs, calling women "primitive," and defending polygamist cult leader Warren Jeffs, among other things. In a statement, Carlson refused to apologize, calling his statements "naughty," and inviting people that disagree with him onto his show.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Media Matters: TUCKER CARLSON: I've seen a lot more of the typical -- and I mean this -- typical whining from a Black politician about how, "You don't like me because I'm Black." Using racism as a defense, right? I catch you doing something bad, "Well, oh, you're a racist." That is something that I have covered up close and personal my entire adult life for 17 years being around Black politicians saying that exact thing. The Congressional Black Caucus exists to blame the white man for everything, and I'm happy to say that in public because it's true. Everyone knows it's true. [Bubba the Love Sponge Show, 8/5/08]

Comments

In multiple clips, Carlson appeared to draw a distinction between child marriage and child rape.

"The rapist, in this case, has made a lifelong commitment to live and take care of the person, so it is a little different. I mean, let's be honest about it,"

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-03-11 08:45 AM | Reply

The GOP, like the extremist evangelical tea party crowd that infects it, has zero moral compass. Why do you people still insist on being shocked by the GOP's lack of morals or ethics?

Go after these creeps...not on facebook or the DR, but in your own home or in your own town. I do it and I have found many many people believe the same way I do, but I am the first person they have ever heard give a different opinion (different that what they hear in church or on their local news - fox news or otherwise).

I don't know how it is in your state, but in Bama, all news is just like fox news.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-03-11 08:53 AM | Reply

And guess who has come to Carlson's defense...

Donald Trump Jr. Applauds Tucker Carlson's Refusal To Apologize For Misogyny

The president's son suggested those upset over Carlson's denigration of women are simply part of an "outrage mob."

www.huffpost.com

OCU

#3 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-03-11 03:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There are more tapes like this. Reported today.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-03-12 09:17 AM | Reply

...inviting people that disagree with him onto his show....

So insecure about defending what he said, that he insists on having the home court advantage in order to attempt to defend his words.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-03-12 05:50 PM | Reply

Christian conservatives will stick by him and claim this is a leftwing attempt to stifle his speech. Rightwingers live in an alternate reality.

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-12 06:33 PM | Reply

Just another faux troll.

#7 | Posted by bat4255 at 2019-03-12 07:52 PM | Reply

None of these are secret tapes. They have been public ally available for years. They were made on a popular national radio program in an era when Carlson was on MSNBC.

#8 | Posted by Karabekian at 2019-03-12 08:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Publicly, that is.

#9 | Posted by Karabekian at 2019-03-12 08:23 PM | Reply

Well, at least he isn't saying something really really bad-- like there is too much Israeli influence in American politics, for instance. I'm sure if he had said something like that Trump would've come down on him like a truckload of stale matzo.

#10 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-03-12 08:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I wonder if he ties a bowtie around it before a romp in the hay.

#11 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-03-12 08:49 PM | Reply

The right has had a series of lunatic leaders - glen beck, bill o reilly, now tucker, always preaching their own superiority, then always brought down by their own stupid words. Then they just go find a new lunatic to sell their agenda to morons and give him a show.

#12 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-03-12 09:57 PM | Reply

I wonder how his wife and three daughters feel about his dispensing of this wisdom...

#13 | Posted by catdog at 2019-03-13 09:08 AM | Reply

Just went to the tapes and tried to find what all the fuss was about. No surprise that they were cut all over the place so you could not hear everything (remind anyone of the first Covington tapes?) And if he was such a racist pig in 2006 why didn't MSNBC apologize? He was working for them at the time afterall.
No surprise that there is a full court press by the left to get rid of him, they want Fox gone and Carlson is a big part of it. He has been hitting back at Media Matters (who is behind this and a 501C tax exempt group who should not be tax free) and they and the left have gone all in on it. Surprising since the left has always supposedly been all about free speech (unless of course your views don't match theirs) The IRS should do their job and investigate Media Matters, my tax dollars should not be subsidizing them.

#14 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-13 10:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Tell me what context would make defending and justifying child rape acceptable.

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-13 10:56 AM | Reply

#15 You mean where on the tape he says "let's be clear here I'm not justifying child rape."? See this stuff is put together in a way to trick no nothing hacks like yourself into believing anything because you are not only too stupid but too lazy to fact check.

#16 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-13 11:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

who puts in this much effort defending some effete, elite, and intitled douche on TV?

A real dumb ass, that's who

#17 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-03-13 11:06 AM | Reply

You can say "i'm not murdering someone" while you murder them and you're still a murderer. What good is his self-serving denial when everyone can hear him defending child rape?

#18 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-13 11:34 AM | Reply

A real dumb ass, that's who

#17 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES AT 2019-03-13 11:06 AM | FLAG:

Not nearly as much effort as losers like you who want to stifle free speech

#19 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-13 12:20 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2019-03-13 11:34 AM | FLAG:

Just like everyone could hear a Covington student mocking an Indian. You only hear and take it the way you want to hear and take it.

#20 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-13 12:26 PM | Reply

Might be the worst analogy i've ever seen. Good job!

#21 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-13 12:26 PM | Reply

"i'm defending child rape."

#18 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2019-03-13 11:34 AM | FLAG:

See how that works.

#22 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-13 12:29 PM | Reply

Might be the worst analogy i've ever seen. Good job!

#21 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2019-03-13 12:26 PM | FLAG:

You would not agree to anything short of someone saying Tucker Carlson defends child rape, has commited child rape himself and needs to be taken off television and radio immediately, sent to prison and Fox should be shut down. That work Comrade?

#23 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-13 12:32 PM | Reply

That's what he did, so...yeah.

has commited child rape himself

Do you know something we don't?

I'll let the free market sort that one out.

#24 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-13 12:41 PM | Reply

"losers like you who want to stifle free speech"

only in upside-down ----------- can a person who still has a nightly TV show have their "free speech" stifled.

#25 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-03-13 01:23 PM | Reply

That's what he did, so...yeah.
has commited child rape himself
Do you know something we don't?
I'll let the free market sort that one out.

#24 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2019-03-13 12:41 PM | FLAG:

That's not what the Left wants to do.

#26 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-13 04:47 PM | Reply

Not nearly as much effort as losers like you who want to stifle free speech

#19 | POSTED BY Comrade FISHPY

Quit lying, and quit being a snowflake!

#27 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-03-13 05:43 PM | Reply

I wouldn't want Tucker Carlson kicked off TV any more than I would want the DR righty tightys kicked out of this forum.

SNIPPY, FISHFLOP, MACKRELASS, BOAZO et al... are our best bop bags...

www.youtube.com

they make things so easy... sometimes I wonder if RCADE has them on the payroll.

#28 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-03-14 07:47 AM | Reply

Millionaire Carlson, with his tv slot on 3 billion dollar per year Fox news is being bullied by a 24 year old basement dweller.

Why are righties such whiners?
www.msn.com

#29 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-03-14 08:59 AM | Reply

#28 | Posted by RightisTrite Oh yea, the one thing that is kryptonite to a leftist is dialog and debate. Seems that most of their arguments are visceral emotionalism, and reason has no place in that environment. If a leftist can not win an argument, they first say racist or fascist, then move to remove the speaker. Sorry, but that was the tactic of real fascist not so long ago. Disrupt, besmirch, remove.

#30 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-03-14 09:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | POSTED BY FISHPAW

And my tax dollars shouldn't be subsidizing you.

We live in an imperfect world.

#31 | Posted by jpw at 2019-03-14 10:02 AM | Reply

Here is what the host of the radio show that Carlson routinely called into had to say about all of this:

I host a comedy-driven radio show for guys. Until Sunday, no one confused it with something that should be taken seriously. Given my on-air name, "Bubba the Love Sponge," I assume most people get the joke. We are rude, sometimes profane.

Tucker Carlson called into my satellite radio show regularly from 2006-11, and like all my guests, he adopted an edgy comic persona for the broadcast. He said really naughty things to make my audience laugh, and they did. The 100 or so shows we made with Mr. Carlson weren't a secret.

Do I really need to go into the rich history of insult comedy? Lisa Lampanelli, Andrew Dice Clay, Rodney Dangerfield, even Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog. Comedy breaks taboo subjects that release the unspoken into the air in ways that are, dare I say, funny.

To be sure, we say really mean things on my radio show, and we laugh instead of getting mad. Why do we allow things to be said in comedy that wouldn't be acceptable elsewhere? Believe it or not, scientists have studied comedy for an answer, and they found one. It's called benign violation. We laugh when social norms are exceeded -- the violation. But it's not permanently harmful -- it's benign. No one called into my show authentically outraged about what Mr. Carlson said -- not once -- because everyone knew we were goofing in the spirit of the show....

outline.com

#32 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-14 10:14 AM | Reply

Eddie Muphy's Delirious is absolutely hilarious. Strip away the comedy and it would be downright offensive.

If Carlson was being edgy out of comedy then his detractors need to lighten up and get a life.

#33 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-14 10:18 AM | Reply

"Tucker Carlson's valiant stand in favor of ‘dissent'"

www.washingtonpost.com

Perfect analysis of what he said and the preposterous attempts to defend what he said.

#34 | Posted by danni at 2019-03-14 11:14 AM | Reply

Since when is Tucker Carlson a comedian? And what that he said was funny?

#35 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-14 11:27 AM | Reply

MediaMatters President Carusone, is a bigoted, racist, homophobe even says so in his blog posts.

#36 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-03-14 11:35 AM | Reply

#36 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Yep. He's being given a taste of his own medicine and he doesn't like it one bit.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-14 11:38 AM | Reply

Since when is Tucker Carlson a comedian? And what that he said was funny?

#35 | POSTED BY JOE

Nobody is claiming he's a comedian.

#38 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-14 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nobody is claiming he's a comedian.

Your "it was just comedy" excuse works a lot better if he is.

Personally i don't know why you'd bother to stick up for such a cretin. He disqualified himself from being a serious member of public discourse long before these interviews were exposed.

#39 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-14 12:18 PM | Reply

#39 Have you ever watched his show or do you just wait for the liberal talking points that are prepared for you?

#40 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-03-14 12:24 PM | Reply

I have.

Any other questions?

#41 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-14 12:54 PM | Reply

#39 | POSTED BY JOE

I've never liked the guy. He's always come across as a major D-bag to me. When I read the piece written by the host of the show he routinely called into, it struck a chord.

Let me take a different approach (I'm borrowing because it's better articulated than I could be on this)...

Here's the way it works. If you're a conservative or a Republican who attains any kind of prominence at all, then the hunt is on. Media Matters has its rolling list of allegedly bad or silly things I've said and written, for example. And the more prominent you are, the more diligent the hunt. People will listen to hundreds of hours of radio shows or podcasts. They'll watch tapes of cable news until their eyes glaze over. They'll scan through hundreds of thousands of written words -- letting the sum total of the person's worldview and body of work wash over them -- looking for that "gotcha" moment, the word or phrase that proves "the bad man really is bad."

And let's be clear, Tucker's words aren't "hurtful" or "offensive" in the truest sense. At the time, they passed through the media ether without notice or comment. There were no outraged victims seeking redress. Nobody was crying sincere tears on camera because of the bad things a (then) MSNBC contributor said about them. And no one is really hurt today either. Instead, the atmosphere is one of vengeful glee. We got him now.

But note very carefully the process here. The person is truly rendered "bad" by his or her ideology. Pro-life? Republican? Conservative? Populist? Trumpist? Once you pass the ideological threshold that renders you an enemy, you're fair game. The true intent is not to cleanse the public square of bad people. Otherwise, the search would be bipartisan, applying the same rules to both sides. The intent is to clear the public square of bad ideas, and if they have to destroy careers and reputations to do so, well then, that's all the more fun.

www.nationalreview.com

This attempt to destroy the lives and livelihoods of ideological foes needs to stop.

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-14 01:21 PM | Reply

#42 The party that consistently pretends to be more moral, religious, etc is going to have a higher moral bar to clear. You guys set that bar for yourselves.

#43 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-14 01:23 PM | Reply

#40 | POSTED BY FISHfLOP AT 2019-03-14 12:24 PM | FLAG: PPPFFFTTTTT

Personally I like to watch re-runs of him being slapped around by Job Stewart

www.youtube.com

I think he lost his job over that one... or

www.youtube.com

He's been a loser for evahhhhhhh... except in the minds of morons.

#44 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-03-14 01:38 PM | Reply

#43 | Posted by JOE, Anyone who elects a individual to public office and expect them to be upright or moral is a fool. Ambition, ego and self aggrandizement is not fertile ground for the development of morality which includes a little discipline. I like to elect businessmen, they have to know how to bargain and they know how to hammer out a deal. Lawyers have to win in a zero sum game.

#45 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-03-14 01:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I have.
Any other questions?

#41 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2019-03-14 12:54 PM | REPLY

Why?

He went overboard like Glenn Beck
Neither were good at CNN, but the weren't horribly embarrassing either.

I don't even know what the things he said were, but if you're on with a shock jock you're playing to the audience and generally get a pass.

I've listened to stern and opie and Anthony, but I drew a line with bubba the love sponge. Never loitered to the show.

#46 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-03-14 01:58 PM | Reply

Listened, not loitered.

#47 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-03-14 01:59 PM | Reply

#40 | POSTED BY FISHYP

That is a rich statement coming from a Putin bot.
Hypocrisy and projection is your forte!

#48 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-03-14 03:00 PM | Reply

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

How's that working out for you, numbnuts?

#49 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-14 03:26 PM | Reply

#49 | Posted by JOE Actually my entire family's lot has improved substantially in the last two years. Much more than the previous eight.

#50 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-03-14 03:40 PM | Reply

#50 | POSTED BY comrade DOCNJO

Stop with the lies and --------!

#51 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-03-14 04:51 PM | Reply

#50 | POSTED BY comrade DOCNJO

Stop with the lies and --------!

#52 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-03-14 04:51 PM | Reply

#52 | Posted by aborted_monson You have to have the most appropriate name on this blog, can I just call you abortion for short? Yep like most people in the country, our finances are better under Trump than they were under Obama. You probably didn't get out of the basement long enough to notice.

#53 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-03-15 12:11 AM | Reply

our finances are better under Trump than they were under Obama

That's an incredibly meaningless statement.

#54 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-03-15 12:22 AM | Reply