Sunday, March 10, 2019

Joe Biden has yet to enter the 2020 presidential race -- he's been weighing the decision in a closely watched will-he-or-won't-he saga -- but the former vice president still leads the pack in Iowa.

Comments

IMO its pretty telling that even though he hasn't officially declared, Uncle Joe is leading. It will be very interesting to see if his numbers improve once he announces this next week.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-03-10 06:02 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com

...and no one loves Biden more than our criminal banking community sitting on top of our economic pyramid, using free money to take a piece from everyone else just like the taxman, except the bankers give nothing in return. They do it all through unproductive paper shuffling, a task rendered less than trivial thanks to computers.

#2 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-03-10 09:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

If Biden wanted low marks from liberal groups, he got them. By 1978, Americans for Democratic Action, the preeminent liberal watchdog group of the time, gave Biden a score of just 50, lower than its ratings for some Republicans. Kennedy typically scored in the 90s.

Biden's ratings recovered in the 1980s, fueled by a liberal foreign policy record. But on domestic policy ? from school integration to tax policy ? he was functionally allied with the Reagan administration.

He voted for a landmark Reagan tax bill that slashed the top income tax rate from 70 percent to 50 percent and exempted many wealthy families from the estate tax on unearned inheritances, a measure that cost the federal government an estimated $83 billion in annual revenue. He then called for a spending freeze on Social Security in order to reduce the deficits that tax law helped to create.

"While this program is severe," Biden said on the Senate floor, "it is the only proposal that will halt the upward spiral of deficits," which supposedly threatened "an economic and political crisis of extraordinary proportions" within 18 months.

By the time Biden first ran for president in 1987, he had adopted much of Reagan's anti-government message in his pitch to Democratic voters.

"Government can do many things, but in the final analysis, government can act little more than as a catalyst," Biden said on the stump. "We must demand more of ourselves ... our managers, our workers, our consumers are needed to change their attitudes in order to revitalize this society."
www.huffpost.com

#3 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2019-03-11 12:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I really hope he doesn't run. I like Biden but he's basically Hillary 2.0 minus the polish. I really don't think he's compelling enough as a Trump antidote and moreover I don't think they general electorate hates Trump as much as partisans think they do.

In short, he'll be a return to "normalcy" via pro military spending, big business & trade but he's got a lot of baggage and therefore not a strong positive contrast to now or rather what got us here.

#4 | Posted by AfterMaff at 2019-03-11 09:11 AM | Reply

-but he's got a lot of baggage

I don't think he has anywhere near the baggage of Hillary Clinton.

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2019-03-11 09:19 AM | Reply

--but the former vice president still leads the pack in Iowa.

Apparently no one has considered that he's leading precisely because he hasn't announced and started campaigning.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-03-11 09:54 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY LEFTCOASTLAWYER

Of all of the names being bandied about, he's the only sane choice for the Democrats. A sane choice likely beats Trump.

I don't think he has anywhere near the baggage of Hillary Clinton.

#5 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Agreed. More importantly, he doesn't have anywhere near the baggage of Donald Trump. His biggest deficiencies - creepy Uncle Joe and his gaffes have pretty much been inculcated by the absurdities of Trump.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-11 09:57 AM | Reply

If Joe Biden runs, I would vote for him. But the Democrats are stupid. They will put up some left leaning idiot and Trump will beat the ---- out of them.

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2019-03-11 11:26 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I think the Democrats need to understand that a "moderate" candidate is going to disagree with some of the things they are espousing today. A moderate candidate is going to disagree with the Conservative side as well.

To be honest, no one wants a moderate because they wont be able to get everything they want..

#9 | Posted by boaz at 2019-03-11 11:30 AM | Reply

"...and Trump will beat the ---- out of them." - Posted by boaz at 2019-03-11 11:26 AM

Your political predictions are not exactly the coin of the realm, boaz.

#10 | Posted by Hans at 2019-03-11 11:33 AM | Reply

I have said it many times, I would have voted for Biden over Gary Johnson in the last election, and Kiddie Stroking aside, will probably vote for him if he is the nominee.

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-11 11:36 AM | Reply

I have to agree with Boaz here Hans, I think Biden can win and after all the noise is filtered out, that should be all that matters to the Democratic Party.

However, they do have a tendency to leave the grenade in their mouths and throw the pin, so they could very well nominate yet another candidate that leaves the so called Obama cross-over voters cold and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-11 11:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I have to agree with Boaz here Hans, I think Biden can win ..." - #12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-11 11:38 AM

As do I, RoC.

But I was retorting to his "Trump will beat the ---- out of them" comment if Biden isn't the nominee.

At this point, no one knows what the political landscape will be in about 19 months from now.

Which is why I rarely, if ever, indulge in political prognostications as they relate to election results.

While boaz tends to shoot his mouth off, predicting Democrats' electoral doom, just like Sheeple "Bookmark it" Schism.

#YOYOW

#13 | Posted by Hans at 2019-03-11 11:52 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

"...they do have a tendency to leave the grenade in their mouths and throw the pin..." - #12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-11 11:38 AM

Which reminds me of the story...

Did you hear about the day Kentucky declared war on Ohio?

They were upset that the Ohio River was named after Ohio and not Kentucky, so they decided to do something about it.

At the crack of dawn a bunch of Kentuckians, dressed in their best camo, snuck up to the border and threw grenades over the river and into Ohio.

Quick thinking Ohioans picked up the grenades, pulled the pins out of them, and threw them back.

#14 | Posted by Hans at 2019-03-11 11:54 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

- that should be all that matters to the Democratic Party.

That's what polls say the Dem voters are telling the party; win first and sort out how much of the FDR-ish policy can be passed into law later.

Either of these two septuagenarians would need to pick a VP that can be the face of the party going forward, though.

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2019-03-11 01:36 PM | Reply

I would bet money that Boaz doesn't vote for Biden.

#16 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-11 01:48 PM | Reply

I would have voted for Biden over Gary Johnson in the last election
#11 | POSTED BY CRYIN TED CRUZ

That's like saying you'd put your money on Hussein Bolt over Jonah Hill in a 200 yard sprint.

#17 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-11 01:53 PM | Reply

Voting for Gary Johnson was like voting for Jill Stein; throwing your hands up in defeat and letting other people decide the election for you... and depending on where you voted, perhaps helping the worst candidate win.

#18 | Posted by Corky at 2019-03-11 02:00 PM | Reply

I could be weong, but i think ROC is in California in which case any individual vote is more a symbolic act than anything. But yeah. I have a bigger problem with people who voted third party in places like Wisconsin (while it was certainly their right to do so). I voted third party my entire life but Trump was a bridge too far.

#19 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-11 02:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

*wrong

Damn phone

#20 | Posted by JOE at 2019-03-11 02:20 PM | Reply

I guess I see Biden faltering in three ways:

1) His backing of the "can't discharge college loans through bankruptcy" will lose him support to the left. The fact he's white & male will also erode support from the symbology crowd.

2) His gaffes will be made to seem on par with Trump's verbal diarrhea to a point where it will be effectively white noise between the two as much as it's not which will eat away at the "undecideds".

3) Can he avoid being bated and branded by Trump (ala what he did to Elizabeth Warren) and/or handle a firefight with him both in media & debate?

All in all not feeling it but if I'm proven wrong so be it. If he can win it would be nothing short of a blessing.

#21 | Posted by AfterMaff at 2019-03-11 05:17 PM | Reply

Name recognition counts more than policy in this country.

#22 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-03-11 07:06 PM | Reply

Bernie needs to offer more free stuff

#23 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-03-11 08:42 PM | Reply

That is exactly correct, I knew Hillary was going to rout Trump here in California, so my vote for Johnson was meaningless. It would have been tougher for me if I was in a toss-up state, but I still wouldn't vote for Trump and not sure if I could have voted for Hillary.

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-11 08:43 PM | Reply

"Bernie needs to offer more free stuff" - #23 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-03-11 08:42 PM

Are you hungry?