Sunday, March 10, 2019

The sharp left turn in the Democratic Party and the rise of progressive presidential candidates are unnerving moderate Democrats who increasingly fear that the party could fritter away its chances of beating President Trump in 2020 by careening over a liberal cliff.

Comments

I am of two minds on this: while I appreciate the vision that underlies the Green New Deal, I am afraid that "Middle America" (and no, I am not talking about the fly-over States) won't embrace the radical change that the GND requires.

It will be interesting to see how the discussion changes, if at all, once Joe Biden throws his hat in the ring.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-03-09 01:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

2020

i0.wp.com

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-03-09 01:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I think that Nulli's link, like most good political cartoons, hits the nail on the head: If the Dems go too far left, too quickly, then they will have real problems not being defined by the Trump slander machine as out of touch with the mainstream, which may resonate with moderate voters of all types and allegiances.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-09 01:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I think that massively overstates the case, I think that there are important issues that the current candidates are bringing to the forefront in an effort to advance the national conversation on Climate Change, Healthcare and income inequality.

#4 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-03-09 01:20 PM | Reply

hen they will have real problems not being defined by the Trump slander machine

Cheetolini is already tagging them as "socialists" so it is too late to worry about that.

#5 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-03-09 01:21 PM | Reply

If the nominee has endorsed the "Green Socialism Deal," which is basically the platform of the Democratic Socialists of America, they are going to be called socialists, and rightfully so. You make the bed you lie in.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-03-09 01:30 PM | Reply

Good.

#7 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-03-09 01:41 PM | Reply

LCL,

If the Dems actually embrace the GND (good news for the Democratic Party is that power-players like Nancy Pelosi and Dick Durbin have been dismissive of it) they risk harm to their electoral chances. That document as in absurd joke.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-03-09 02:06 PM | Reply

As an anti-GOnP'er, I say good!
If the Dems go to far, and they eventually will, stuff can be tweaked and brought back to a more sustainable position.

#9 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-03-09 03:16 PM | Reply

Jeff-

I agree that the GND could have been presented differently and probably more effectively, but it has started what I believe to be a very important conversation. My worry is that the Trump Attack Machine will continue to weaponize it and use it to crush the progressive candidates that rushed to endorse it.

#10 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-03-09 04:25 PM | Reply

The Dems are in the tougher position of being for something instead of simply against something.

It's much harder to sell a positive that's ambitious than it is to sell a negative that's a scapegoat.

Gone are the days of the shining city on the hill type of GOP rhetoric.

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2019-03-09 09:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

That is an excellent point but one that Hillary completely missed in 2016 by not really articulating anything concrete during her campaign. Platitudes do not get you elected.

Trump proved that in spades, his "selling points" were very simple-tear up NAFTA, bring back jobs, get rid of TPP, etc. and coupled with his negative campaigning that played on the fears of the fly over voters, ended up carrying the day.

Gone are the days of the shining city on the hill type of GOP rhetoric.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Biden coopts that message for 2020.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-09 09:21 PM | Reply

I just hope the parasites don't kill the host they've done so many times before.

#13 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-03-10 05:40 PM | Reply

Gone are the days of the shining city on the hill type of GOP rhetoric.

#11 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2019-03-09 09:05 PM

I think that a similar type message along the lines of "I will rescue you from the Orange Nightmare" will resonate with most voters in the middle.

#14 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-03-10 06:04 PM | Reply

As one of the few true moderates on this site, I can tell you that i do not give 2 ---- about the liberal agenda, and i feel it is exactly the same as the tea party agenda currently running (ruining) the GOP.

As I've said many many times, if the Democrats decide to go with this agenda again, like they tried to do with Hillary, they will lose again.

It would be on the level of a science-fiction nightmare for anyone to lose to trump, after knowing who he really is. It will surely be the end of our government.

#15 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-03-11 08:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sharp Left Turn Defining 2020 Race, Unnerving Moderates

#16 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2019-03-11 10:34 AM | Reply

As one of the few true moderates on this site
#15 | Posted by kudzu

ROTFLMAO...

Stop it Kudzu, please, stop it!

#17 | Posted by boaz at 2019-03-11 11:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Democrat 2020 slogan: vote for us and we will give you stuff

#18 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-03-11 12:44 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

#19 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-11 01:28 PM | Reply

Democrat 2020 slogan: vote for us and we will give you stuff

#18 | POSTED BY MAVERICK

GOP 2020 slogan: vote for us and we will give the rich stuff at your expense (again)

#20 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-03-11 01:29 PM | Reply

"I agree that the GND could have been presented differently and probably more effectively, but it has started what I believe to be a very important conversation"

I agree with this. The Democrats need to take their ideas and package and present them in a way that's more persuasive and palatable to the general electorate. For exmample, they need to stop using dumb phrases like "Medicare for All". Anyone who can't see why that phrase is problematic should stay the hell out of politics.

#21 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-03-11 01:51 PM | Reply

The problem is most Americans are for left policy when it isn't termed liberal or socialist. The GOP has done a number on those terms over the span of decades. The good news is millennials are not afraid of them - unfortunately but still don't vote in enormous numbers to change course.

#22 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-03-11 05:54 PM | Reply

"Just another fear tactic. Progressives have been going along with the moderates for to long: "for the good of the party" . Now it's time for moderates to go along with progressives."

So they can lose?

The thing I find most odd about the far left is their egos. They seem to find it incredible that people don't share their beliefs. Even more incredible is the fact that the vast majority know very little about those things they claim to be smart on. Economics is probably the best example.

#23 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-03-11 09:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Good thing only an inbred minority of the US are dumb enough to fear the word socialism."

Should they be equally afraid of the word fascism?

Technically, fascist killed far fewer people than socialists have. Admittedly, there's only a shred of difference between the two.

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-03-11 09:59 PM | Reply

Whoever wrote this probably thinks it's a good idea for the Democrat candidates to call their opponent's supporters a dumb basket of inbred minority.

#25 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-03-11 10:08 PM | Reply

I am done giving money to the DNC. I plan to stop supporting candidates older than forty in the primary elections. I am an old at 70+, and I have seen what happens. Those Gob-Dammed kids might save us, but I will not be betting the rent.

#26 | Posted by john47 at 2019-03-12 09:32 AM | Reply

To pretend staying the course is sustainable is suicidal. Militarism, global warming denial, deregulation will all be fatal. There is plenty of history and facts to support the urgent need for change. Therefore centrists are the true radicals.

#27 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-03-12 10:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Those Gob-Dammed kids might save us, but I will not be betting the rent.

You also wont be here to see the craphole they create with their ill advised idealistic ideas..

#28 | Posted by boaz at 2019-03-12 11:13 AM | Reply

Third party slogan: Vote for us. The elephants and donkeys belong in zoos where the public can see them in a proper setting: apart from us because they pose as a danger.

Signs available for supporters "Please don't feed the animals."

#29 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-03-12 12:53 PM | Reply

Democrat 2020 slogan: vote for us and we will give you stuff

#18 | POSTED BY MAVERICK

Hey everyone, look at me!! I know how to rehash what my lover Bill O'Reilly said 7 years ago.

Idiot.

#30 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2019-03-12 01:02 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Trump didn't win as much as Godzillary lost.

And my liberal friends should all get therapy. Immediately. They are all losing their damned minds.

It's sad, because Trump shouldn't be that hard to beat.

#31 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-03-12 02:04 PM | Reply

Those Gob-Dammed kids might save us, but I will not be betting the rent.

#28 | Posted by boaz

Long ago, when I studied economics at both the graduate and undergraduate level, I had to read. A lot. I happened to read Keynes before I read Samuelson, and so became a socialist. Later, reading Leftwich, I become more convinced the Chicago School was a pack of loons. Now I believe ALL student loans should be charged off, the minimum wage should be indexed to inflation, and the national infrastructure ought to be modernized.

#32 | Posted by john47 at 2019-03-12 03:05 PM | Reply