Sunday, March 10, 2019

Debate on gun legislation reached a crescendo at the Arkansas State Capitol on Wednesday when a senator fervently denounced a bill that would make it easier to use lethal force in the name of self-defense. The bill, sponsored by three Republican state senators, would remove a clause from the current law that required a "duty to retreat" in self-defense cases.

Comments

MFA:

For 10 years, lawmakers have tried to pass a "stand-your-ground" law for the state and for 10 years, they have not been successful.

As Flowers tried to explain why the state Senate needed more discussion on the proposed bill, not less, one lawmaker tried to step in and silence her.

"Senator, you need to stop," Arkansas Sen. Alan Clark, a Republican from Lonsdale, Ark., told Flowers.

"No the hell I don't," Flowers shot back. "What are you going to do, shoot me?"

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-03-08 10:25 PM | Reply

"What are you going to do, shoot me?"

Surprised he didn't... that sounds pretty threatening.

She might have reached for the Skittles in her waistband.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-03-08 10:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This Senator is right. Parading around open-carry is intimidation, and bullying.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2019-03-09 12:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"What are you going to do, shoot me?"

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-03-08 10:25

Anyone doubt that didn't pass through his mind?

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2019-03-09 12:50 PM | Reply

Parading around open-carry is intimidation, and bullying.

Does it remind you that you cant just force them to do something? You cant lay your hands on them? It means you cant get in their faces?

Is that the "intimidation" and "bullying" you are talking about?

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2019-03-10 11:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Not everyone needs that.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2019-03-10 11:30 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Stephanie Flowers: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

FLowers was the only person of color present during a Senate committee debate on Wednesday in the Arkansas state senate about the state's stand your ground law. (A "stand your ground" law allows gun-holders to shoot to kill in cases of self-defense.) Three Republicans have proposed doing away with a measure called the "duty to retreat" that requires gun holders to back away when possible.

The chairman of the Senate committee, Alan Clark, tried to make Flowers stop talking: "Senator, you need to stop," he cautioned. "No the hell I don't. What are you going to do, shoot me?" Flowers responded. A little later, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports, Flowers went outside to smoke a cigarette. She came back in to find a group of law enforcement officials -- the Arkansas State Police, Arkansas Association of Chiefs of Police and the Arkansas Sheriffs' Association -- advising against changing the law.

heavy.com

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-03-10 11:36 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by boaz

#6 | Posted by boaz

You're deranged.

#8 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-03-10 11:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"It means you cant get in their faces?"

Careful, Sandmann might sue you!

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-10 12:00 PM | Reply

Seems strange to me that a black woman, who should represent her constituents would be opposed to the self defense of individuals who suffer four times the victimization by serious crime. Stand your ground basically means that if you are threatened with deadly force, you can defend you self with the same. Otherwise your only option is to run or surrender to the mercy of those who have no mercy at all. The cognitive dissidence of the left is astonishing to me. The left paints law enforcement as bloodthirsty thugs looking forward to their next body bag filled. Yet it seems that they want firearms only in the hands of government operatives or the private security hired by the elites.

#10 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-03-10 12:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"Seems strange to me that a black woman, who should represent her constituents would be opposed to the self defense of individuals who suffer four times the victimization by serious crime."

Who is Philando Castile?

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-10 12:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

" Alot of the time, open carry means "Leave me alone". Some people dont want to be talked to when they are in public. They dont want to be harrassed or asked questions. They dont want to be engaged. See, liberals need that. They have to have someone else to bother. Someone else to get money from. Someone else to get "support" from.

Not everyone needs that.

#6 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2019-03-10 11:30 AM | REPLY | FLAG:"

If I was in the presence of someone open carrying who I did not know, I would definitely feel engaged. I would probably feel harassed because I cannot know the mental state of the armed individual and whether he is simply exercising his 2nd amendment right or is mentally unstable. Their possession of a weapon would definitely bother me. Somehow I get the feeling that my rights to enjoy using a public space without fear comes second to the right of a gun owner to intimidate by open carrying.

Apart from ignoring the rights of non-open carry citizens go about their business without feeling threatened by an armed individual they don't know, your post indicates that you think the use of a gun is acceptable to deter someone from talking or asking questions. Because if you don't think this, your post makes no sense. Given that this thread is about the " stand your ground" principle, I'm half inclined to think that you believe shooting someone for persistently talking or asking questions is a legitimate response. Spoiler alert - it is not.

#12 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-03-10 12:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I cannot know the mental state of the armed individual...

If he's got a Glock on his hip, he's probably normal. If he's got a Glock on both hips, he's probably an idiot.

If he's got an AR-15 hanging around his neck, he's definitely an idiot.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-03-10 12:23 PM | Reply

If someone walks towards you open carrying are you allowed to shoot them?

The answer will determine my support for the stand your ground rule.

#14 | Posted by bored at 2019-03-10 12:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#11 | Posted by snoofy, Philando Castile was an idiot who did not follow the instructions given to him by the police. He then picked up a pistol after the police had already had drawn guns on him. Natural selection in action.

#15 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-03-10 12:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Alot of the time, open carry means "Leave me alone"
Boaz

And all of the time it screams "I'm stupid".

Open carry in public is an invitation for trouble. It's recieved as an ego booster for the carrier or intimidating to those around them. And if you conceal carry and intend in pulling that smoke wagon you had better be ready to face any and all charges heaped on you in the aftermath.

#16 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-03-10 12:46 PM | Reply

"Philando Castile was an idiot who did not follow the instructions given to him by the police."

You are misinformed, as usual.
You're not dumb, so stop acting like it.

The shooter's own words: en.m.wikipedia.org

"And I don't know where the gun was, he didn't tell me where the ------- gun was, and then it was just getting hinky, he gave, he was just staring ahead, and then I was getting ------- nervous, and then I told him, I know I ------- told him to get his ------- hand off his gun."

"Yanez stated that his justification for the shooting was based on fear for his own life because he believed that Castile's behavior was abusive toward a young girl passenger (Reynolds' daughter) in the car.[42] Yanez said: "I thought, I was gonna die, and I thought if he's, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five-year-old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smokeand the front seat passenger doing the same thing, then what, what care does he give about me?"

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-10 12:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

To sum up:

Docnjo's version:
"He then picked up a pistol"

Cop who shot Philando's version:
"I don't know where the gun was"

We could go on, but why bother?
Facts won't change Docnjo's mind.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-10 01:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Think about how many times you've seen someone jump to conclusions about another person's intentions. Put a gun in the conclusion-jumper's hands and the result can be fatal.

It's pretty obvious too that someone armed with a firearm feels an increased sense of invincibility. Even minor provocations can be enough to turn momentary anger on the part of the gun owner into a deadly response, whereas an unarmed person is much less likely to kill. "Stand your ground" laws increase the risk that false assumptions and angry reactions will result in death or injury.

#19 | Posted by cbob at 2019-03-10 01:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Is that the "intimidation" and "bullying" you are talking about?

#5 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Ok Snowflake. You need a deathstick to protect you from someone's mean words? Are you really that feeble-minded?

And how do they know your "worldview" anyways when you are walking down the street minding your own business? Maybe you should stop advertising your politics if you don't want people to talk about them. Maybe if you put away your white hood and MAGA hat, you wouldn't feel like you have to carry around a gun to protect yourself from the all the mean liberals saying mean things to you that hurt your little feelings.

When did Republicans turn into such -------?

#20 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2019-03-10 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

Check out this study and see the footnotes in this well researched analysis of Stand Your Ground.

tinyurl.com

Stand Your Ground (SYG) does not work as well for blacks as clearly shown in the article. Also, the first time I became aware of SYG laws a few years back, I IMMEDIATELY realized that anyone with a little planning could get away with premeditated murder. You just need to structure the confrontation properly and have witnesses only when it suits you. And that is exactly what a feuding homeowner tried when he lured a neighbor into his garage. Recent reporting has detailed, drug dealers luring their rivals into confrontations. If my first reaction to SYG was it would be easy to game then why didn't legislators acknowledge the law is dangerous.

#21 | Posted by clearheaded12 at 2019-03-10 05:58 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2019-0

Open carry is bizarre.

Keep your eyes on the armed man always. Plan your next move if he does something strange. Leave his vicinity as quickly as possible. Take your loved ones with you.

#22 | Posted by Zed at 2019-03-10 06:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Check out this study ...

That is not a "study." It's a "fact sheet" compiled by anti-gun advocacy group, Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund.

#23 | Posted by et_al at 2019-03-10 07:13 PM | Reply

"You cant just get in their face and start berating them for having a worldview that is different from yours?"

You bring your gun to debates and wave it around so no one disagrees with you??

No wonder you have never learned anything.

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-03-11 10:45 AM | Reply

Not everyone needs that.

#6 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Actually all Humans need some kind "support". It is part of the Human Condition (that you pretend doesn't exist).

Christians sure do need it. Some are so desperate they come bang on your door and beg for it. Annoying! But I don't wave my gun at them. I keep it in my pants.

The poor dears are just like you!

If they cannot get you to believe the same silly nonsense they believe then they start to feel stupid for believing the that silly nonsense themselves.

Are you feeling stupid yet? No one is buying your nonsense. Is that why you are angry all the time?

Never mind. I don't actually care. Just don't come wavingctou gun around here.

Please.

I am trying not to hurt anyone on the way out. Thanks.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-03-11 10:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1