Thursday, March 07, 2019

"He was really sick and it was really difficult to watch," said Guzman-Cottrill. "He was suffering." The entire team caring for the boy found his condition agonizing, she said, adding that they also found it extraordinary to be dealing with a tetanus case in 2019. "I never thought I would see a case of severe tetanus in the United States," she said. "That was an astounding point for me."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Neither vaccination nor infection confers lifelong immunity against tetanus, which means that if this boy remains unvaccinated, he could contract tetanus again.

Comments

His liberty just cost the American taxpayer $800,000

#1 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-03-07 04:35 PM | Reply

I think it was in The Federalist Papers where Benjamin Franklin wrote "freedom means nothing without the right to deliberately spread preventable disease to your neighbors."

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-07 04:44 PM | Reply

I agree these people are nuts and deserve a beat down but how do we force vaccinations, and get it through the SCOTUS?

#3 | Posted by eberly at 2019-03-07 04:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses

It certainly cost SOMEONE that. Personally I think insurance companies should be and to and should start rejecting people and their families who refuse vaccinations. In the case of children - this should be considered neglect. I am sure they are fine folk who are just backward and waddle in their ignorance but this is just wrong. Frankly bankrupting a few idiots will lead to fewer being willing to engage in this frankly and bluntly stupid behavior.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-03-07 04:55 PM | Reply

"but how do we force vaccinations, and get it through the SCOTUS?
#3 | POSTED BY EBERLY"

I don't think we can force them, but it's perfectly legal to discriminate based on vaccination status, so we need to be more aggressive in doing that.

California had the right idea when they only allow non-vaccinated for medical reasons to attend public schools. Kids who aren't vaccinated for non-medical reasons are rightfully turned away.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-07 04:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

a republican congress federally mandated that hospitals cannot turn away patients for lack of payment and or other

The article didn't even mention the cost associated with the life flight.

but you know, "liberty" and all that bumper sticker hokum

#6 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-03-07 05:01 PM | Reply

I didn't know that. If that passes scrutiny in the courts then we should be doing that everywhere.

If a public school can refuse to admit them then an insurance company should be able to reject coverage.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2019-03-07 05:01 PM | Reply

I think Obamacare makes it hard to reject coverage, but I can't say for sure...

Keep in mind, when California made that change, the number of medical exemptions skyrocketed. The belief is doctors issued them to those with ideological objections regardless.

Best health care system in the world!

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-07 05:06 PM | Reply

Eberly, serious question: Can I take out life insurance policies on these weirdo's anti-vaxx kids?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-07 05:20 PM | Reply

Yes. no vaccination questions on the apps.

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2019-03-07 05:38 PM | Reply

9 / 10
.. you may need to have 'insurable interest' in whom you wish to insure. For example, I dont believe one can take out a life insurance policy on their neighbors child. No?

#11 | Posted by HeeHaw at 2019-03-07 11:16 PM | Reply

#11 that's what I'm getting at. Can I just place bets on arbitrary people to die or not?

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-07 11:18 PM | Reply

I dont believe so. For the policies / products I've seen in my line of work (IT @ large life insurance company) 'stranger' isn't a relationship code I've seen. Not to say there aren't policies out there like you ask about -I'm no broker/agent..

#13 | Posted by HeeHaw at 2019-03-07 11:49 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-03-07 11:1

Years ago a few corporations would take out life insurance on some of their workers without the worker's knowledge.

It was perfectly legal back then I don't know if it is still legal now but about 10 years ago it was.

So maybe yes