Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Michael Bloomberg will not run for president in 2020, the billionaire businessman wrote in a statement posted online on Tuesday, ending months of speculation about the political future of one of the Democratic Party's top donors. Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York, had been toying with the idea of a presidential run for months and was floated as a candidate in every presidential cycle going back to 2008.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Bloomberg's Statement: "I've never made any secret of my belief that Donald Trump is a threat to our country. At the 2016 Democratic National Convention, I said: "New Yorkers know a con when we see one." Last fall I spent more than $100 million supporting Democrats in the midterm elections. Republicans in Congress had failed -- and are still failing -- to fulfill their constitutional duty to hold the president accountable. Instead, they indulge his worst impulses and refuse to work with Democrats on the most urgent issues."

Comments

That's too bad, I thought he would bring an interesting perspective to the Democratic primary.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-03-05 04:47 PM | Reply

Translation:

I'm way too male, pale and frail to survive the Identity Politics that now define the Democratic Party.

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-03-05 04:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Translation:

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter

That, plus we've now all seen what billionaires businessman presidents end up doing. Tax cuts and deregulation for their buddies, pain for everyone else.

#3 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-03-06 02:14 PM | Reply

If you read his statement you will see that he is going to continue to dedicate a lot of his money to environmental projects. That's better than what a lot of billionaires do with their wealth.

#4 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-03-06 06:24 PM | Reply

--"I'm not running for president, but I am launching a new campaign: Beyond Carbon."

Does that mean he's going to give up his private jets, yachts, 11 mansions?

#5 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-03-06 07:01 PM | Reply

Any rich person better be clean.

#6 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-03-06 08:19 PM | Reply

Trump is the anti-Bloomberg:

Trump Again Seeks Deep Cuts in Renewable Energy Funding

The Trump administration is again seeking severe cuts to the U.S. Energy Department division charged with renewable energy and energy efficiency research, according to a department official familiar with the plan.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy would see its $2.3 billion budget slashed by about 70 percent, to $700 million, under President Donald Trump's fiscal 2020 budget request, which is set to be released on Monday.

www.bloomberg.com