Sunday, February 24, 2019

A federal judge in Texas has declared that the all-male military draft is unconstitutional, ruling that "the time has passed" for a debate on whether women belong in the military. The decision deals the biggest legal blow to the Selective Service System since the Supreme Court upheld the draft in 1981. In Rostker v. Goldberg, the court ruled that the male-only draft was "fully justified" because women were ineligible for combat roles.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

[[https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PnRQjCIdmA4]]

Comments

First time posting an article from a mobile device - looks like mobile YouTube links don't go through, but otherwise I'm pleased it didn't double post.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-02-24 08:44 AM | Reply

Young women are more valuable to a civilization than young men because of their baby making parts. We use young men to fight wars because of their higher willingness to take risks and aggressiveness. I don't know if we've advanced far enough along to ignore biology.

#2 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-02-24 09:02 AM | Reply

Excellent.

#3 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-02-24 09:06 AM | Reply

A big defeat for the patriarchy.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-02-24 11:30 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY VISITOR_ AT 2019-02-24 09:02 AM | FLAG: But it is the left who ignores biology, creating numerous new genders ; )

Times have changed. There is no shortage of females, or children [few ever die in childbirth nowadays] in the USA, so no problem in my eyes of giving women the equality they want. There should not be exceptions for any man or woman [except for physical deterrents] should the draft ever be reinstated. Just look to Israel where women, like men, are drafted at age 18 to serve. the wife of an officer I served with back in the 70s was Israeli [from Tel Aviv], very feminine and mother of two lovely daughters, proudly showed my wife an I pix of her in uniform carrying her Uzi and surrounded by the men and women of her unit.

Conscription exists in Israel for all Israeli citizens over the age of 18 who are Jewish, Druze, or Circassian; Arab citizens of Israel are not conscripted.
Conscription in Israel - Wikipedia
en.m.wikipedia.org

Here's something I observed in the Air Force over the decades concerning those women serving. Then I was first in the AF any woman [officer or enlisted] was discharged for pregnancy. Years later that policy was changed to allow the woman to decide if she wanted to stay in or get out, and eventually policy finally changed to the woman having to serve out her contracted time.

#5 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-02-24 11:37 AM | Reply

It's about time. All of the women that I had the pleasure of serving with were first and foremost Marines and I never thought of them as anything else.

That probably had something to do with the fact that this is the 100th anniversary of women Marines, so (as always) we were a little bit ahead of the curve in this regard.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-24 12:01 PM | Reply

Do they now have to meet the same physical requirements to be in the military or are they still using the two tiered system that gets people killed?

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2019-02-24 03:45 PM | Reply

Equal rights means equal responsibilities.

#8 | Posted by bat4255 at 2019-02-24 04:21 PM | Reply

wow we are becoming more and more like socialist countries all the time.

Equal rights means equal responsibilities.

#8 | POSTED BY BAT4255 AT 2019-02-24 04:21 PM | FLAG: YAWN

When equal pay comes around we will talk about it ...nkay

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-02-24 04:25 PM | Reply

In the military there is, to my knowledge.

#10 | Posted by bat4255 at 2019-02-24 04:27 PM | Reply

A jug of wine, a foxhole, and "Incoming!"

#11 | Posted by Spork at 2019-02-24 04:42 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by visitor_

That's what modern feminism is all about - ignoring biology. If total equality is really the goal (even though it's a dumb unrealistic goal) then they should have to fight and die in wars they dont support just like men do.

#12 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-24 05:18 PM | Reply

In the military there is, to my knowledge.

#10 | POSTED BY BAT4255 AT 2019-02-24 04:27 PM | FLAG: MEH

I am talking all around... and the equal pay only happened when women were allowed in combat positions... prior to that they were kept out of advancement opportunities.

#13 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-02-24 05:42 PM | Reply

The need to force any citizen to register is is all based on the ridiculous assumption that the United States is under constant threats from foreign powers, when exactly the opposite is true.

#14 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-02-24 05:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Another win for equality.

#15 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-02-24 06:03 PM | Reply

China has been doing both gender conscripted service for decades... they have a well trained population... unlike the US were kids are too fat to fight. 20% obesity ratio for boys...18% for girls...

China is half that... and they have a whole lot more of an experienced population to draw on.

Fighting age young men alone could replace our entire population.

not to mention we moved our factories over there... plowshares to swords over night.

#16 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-02-24 06:12 PM | Reply

this is the red meat that feeds trump's attack dogs. trans men in the woman's bathroom and draft their daughters.

#17 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-02-24 06:13 PM | Reply

the last people that attacked our country killed more than 3000 citizens using box cutters... it was orchestrated by the brother of the president's former business partner too... capitalism at its finest.

#18 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-02-24 06:15 PM | Reply

Good news ladies: there's equal pay in the military!

#19 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-02-24 06:48 PM | Reply

Looks like Rusty Scupper has a Yuge case of Yellow Fever...maybe she is Daughters of the Chinese Revolution eligible as well.

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-24 06:54 PM | Reply

I was in the Marines from 75-83. Pregnant WAM's were discharged. I went to school for a new Inertial Navigation System with 2 other people. one female Marine. We were set up in a 3 bedroom apartment for 6 months, with a generous per diem. Must have cost the military a fortune. The female gets pregnant shortly thereafter, gets discharged. She comes back after the baby is born as a rep for the military contractor.

#21 | Posted by willowby at 2019-02-24 08:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Don't worry ladies, just find a doc that will say you have bone spurs. Get a referral from the coward in chief.

#22 | Posted by bored at 2019-02-25 04:21 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY MSGT

Actually, the US is not producing enough children to keep its population steady, let alone growing. If it weren't for immigration, we would be losing population.

That said, I agree. Women should be part of the draft.

#23 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-02-25 10:25 AM | Reply

Eliminate the Draft for everyone or make it mandatory for everyone.

#24 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-02-25 11:21 AM | Reply

It's about time they start treating people equally. I'm sick of men being treated different just because they are considered more capable of defending this country (biologically). The time of discrimination and sexism is over.

#25 | Posted by humtake at 2019-02-25 12:18 PM | Reply

That's what modern feminism is all about - ignoring biology.

#12 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Feminism is about people like you thinking a woman's main purpose is making babies.

#26 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-02-25 12:55 PM | Reply

#26 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar

No feminism is pretending that people who are likely to quit working to have babies are exactly as valuable to corporations as people who are unlikely to quit working to have babies.

#27 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-25 01:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I cracked up first time I saw a woman in a maternity BDU.. one of those SMH moments.

#28 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-02-25 01:19 PM | Reply

#26 Check your "female privilege"!

#29 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-02-25 03:45 PM | Reply

#16,

Sheer numbers mean nothing. We(the U.S) regularly have platoon sized units taking on brigade sized enemy formations with crew served weapons. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Do you think so little of our armed forces?

I'll never understand why liberalism makes people hate our military so much, but be unwilling leave and stay protected by the same said military.

#30 | Posted by boaz at 2019-02-25 08:08 PM | Reply

#30 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2019-02-25 08:08 PM | REPLY | FLAG:AAAAWWWWWWWWWW

I don't hate the military Boazo... really I don't. I hate the marketing of the military... I hate the sacred cow ideals that the those who serve are somehow superior to us unwilling to kill unjustifiably... simply because you must follow orders... nor whatever you use to justify principals that lead you to murder and maim others.

My father fought in Vietnam... he died from the effects of agent orange... and not the vague cancers but the actual conditions that come from exposure to dioxin... and the denials of the military of recognizing the condition... saying it was probably an incurable fungus... not kidding when I tell you that... my older brother was awarded a Purple Heart for participating in the same conflict... I spent my early 20's taking care of dad.... and all the disgusting crazy that goes with a warrior turning into a babbling idiot as he died by the inch... toothless and blind... 50 years old.

Big brother is a brick short of a full load from his experience... hanging with him as he enters his golden years... is an experience... and I love him.

I dealt with PTSD before there was a name for it.

I'm an American... and I am just as brave as you are...probably braver... my service to this country in all that I do...ALL THAT I DO... is just as valid as yours...more valid because I was here mopping up the mess... and you didn't have to look at it.

Remember... it was civilians saved us when we were attacked on 9/11... not the military... and yet there is just this stupid idea that donning a uniform somehow makes you special... or a better or braver American than the rest of us...

If you think you are more courageous than me or anyone else because you wore a fancy suit... you can kiss my @$$.

#31 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-02-26 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1