Thursday, February 21, 2019

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Tuesday called for a re-evaluation of The New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, a landmark First Amendment case that established the "actual malice" standard for proving libel in court. Thomas claimed that the court's 1964 conclusions "were policy-driven decisions masquerading as constitutional law." "We should not continue to reflexively apply this policy-driven approach to the Constitution. Instead, we should carefully examine the original meaning of the First and Fourteenth Amendments," Thomas argued in an order relating to a case involving the disgraced comic Bill Cosby. He suggested the court take up the libel issue once again in some future "appropriate" case.

Comments

The world will be a better place when this POS crosses over to the other side.

#1 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-02-20 07:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Declare a national emergency.

#2 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-02-20 05:42 PM | Reply

This is a good thing. The only thing that will force the press to once again become responsible and stop with the Fake News is for them to be financially accountable when the knowingly publish fake news. Just because the person is famous should not make the law not apply to them. I would like to see it brought down to individual slander. I would like half the loser posters on here defend in court their claim that Trump is a pedophile. I think you may lose your cardboard box in the process and become truly homeless.

#3 | Posted by nobiasposter101 at 2019-02-21 08:54 AM | Reply

Careful what you wish for, Clarence. Since turnabout is fair play, imagine our loudmouth-in-chief constantly defending himself against comments he makes about anyone and anything. I'll wager there are many willing to line up to sue The Dotard and demand he prove his myriad baseless claims...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2019-02-21 09:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I'd think this would put FOX out of business

#5 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-02-21 09:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

This is the thread where we don't want our rights to be more like Europe.

#6 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-02-21 11:11 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by nobiasposter101

You realize this will hurt your cult way more than it hurts people in the real world dont you?
Nah you're probably too dumb.

Without fake news, there would be no president trump.

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-21 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-21 11:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-21 11:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Great...that's what America needs, more ways to sue. More taxpayer dollars tied up in legislation. That's just fantastic. :-(

#10 | Posted by humtake at 2019-02-21 12:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

The Central Park Five should sue the bloated child rapist.

#11 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2019-02-21 12:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ain't gona happen. The press goes on, much of their "news" come out as lies later, but the only throat they manage to cut is their own. CNN claims to be "the most Trusted Name in News". I guess they missed several polls that say they arn't trusted at all.

#12 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-02-21 12:28 PM | Reply

Presidents have always gone after detractors, the press or media that make a habit of going negative at every opportunity. Partisan press is a fact of political life, Form the election of Jefferson on, it hasn't changed one iota. With 85% of media journalist being Democrats, it is likely that neutrality or objectivity is as extinct as the Dodo.

#13 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-02-21 12:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#12 | Posted by docnjo

And what's fox new's motto? FAIR AND BALANCED.

As in: the rest of the news is based in fact, so we need to be FAIR to morons and BALANCE out real news with fake news.

#14 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-21 01:13 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by SpeakSoftly, I guess we will see whose propaganda motivate their readers to take "direct action". I believe little of what I see or read now, but I am stocking up my cabin for an extended stay.

#15 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-02-21 01:43 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by docnjo

We saw that in 2016. 20 years of fox's anti clinton propaganda resulted in america's morons electing a reality tv show con man.

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-21 01:45 PM | Reply

Without fake news, there would be no president trump. - #7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-21 11:43 AM
You're actually correct here. Trump's choice to actually call out fake news when he saw it endeared him to a lot of people who had borne witness to the slow but inexorable decline of the Fourth Estate. Those people showed up to vote.

#17 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-02-21 02:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#17 | Posted by Avigdore

Ooo so close. Trump simply labelled news he and his cult dont want to hear as FAKE NEWS and his cult bought it because they're morons.

Trump called the payments to stormy daniels fake news - what happened?

Trump called reports of his business interests in russia fake news - what happened?

Trump called reports of the departures of mattis, john kelly, jeff sessions, rex tillerson, steve bannon, the mooch, and sean spicer all FAKE NEWS - what happened?

If you haven't figured it out by now moron, when trump says something is fake news, that means it's true.

#18 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-21 02:33 PM | Reply

And let's not forget that Rupert Murdoch has actually gone to court, and WON, a case where he said that the 1st Amendment allows him to order on-the-air TV reporters to knowingly lie. His argument was that the 1st Amendment has nothing to do with telling the truth or not, and as such, it protects people who choose to lie instead of telling the truth. And BTW, Faux News' motto is "We report, you decide", which fits right in with Murdoch's point of view, if we choose to lie to you, it's your responsibility to decide whether you believe us or not.

OCU

#19 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-02-21 06:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

""I would like half the loser posters on here defend in court their claim that Trump is a pedophile."
I would like to see people defend the claims about HRC running a pedo ring out of a pizza parlor and the claim that she hired someone to murder Seth Rich."
#8 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2019-02-21 11:57 AM

"I'd like to see Trump defend the rumor linking Cruz's father to the JFK assassination."
#9 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2019-02-21 11:58 AM

I'd like to see HRC defend her claim in court that people disliked her just because she was a woman.

#20 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-02-21 08:17 PM | Reply

I would also like to see people defending the claims about Gary Johnson not knowing what Aleppo was. He clearly did know, once he understood the context and heard the word correctly.

#21 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-02-21 08:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Falsehoods OCU
#19 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-02-21 06:46 PM

Could you not be bothered to do a simple Snopes check before posting your false story?
www.snopes.com