Wednesday, February 13, 2019

One of the most successful and enduring feats of interplanetary exploration, NASA's Opportunity rover mission is at an end after almost 15 years exploring the surface of Mars and helping lay the groundwork for NASA's return to the Red Planet. The Opportunity rover stopped communicating with Earth when a severe Mars-wide dust storm blanketed its location in June 2018. After more than a thousand commands to restore contact, engineers in the Space Flight Operations Facility at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) made their last attempt to revive Opportunity Tuesday, to no avail. The solar-powered rover's final communication was received June 10. "It is because of trailblazing missions such as Opportunity that there will come a day when our brave astronauts walk on the surface of Mars," said NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. "And when that day arrives, some portion of that first footprint will be owned by the men and women of Opportunity, and a little rover that defied the odds and did so much in the name of exploration."

Comments

That's a bummer, but considering that Opportunity was only expected to last 90 days and has survived for 15 years, I think its earned its rest.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-13 01:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How exciting it will be if a wind storm ever clears the panels enough to link up again.

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-02-13 01:34 PM | Reply

I blame Howard Wolowitz, who left the headlights on--again...

#3 | Posted by catdog at 2019-02-14 08:52 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Technically, their final 1,000 calls.

NASA was like a crazy drunk ex-girlfriend.

"Hello, are you there?"
"We need to talk..."
"Answer me damn it!"
"I'm so over you. Goodbye forever!"
"Baby, I'm sorry. Please answer."
"I love you baby!"
"I'm pregnant. Call me."
"Okay that was a lie. But I miss you."
"I hate you."
"I love you."
"So over this."
"Can we talk?"
"Please, baby?"
"Are you ignoring me or did you die in a Martian Sand Storm?"

#4 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-02-14 01:15 PM | Reply

I think its earned its rest.
#1 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2019-02-13 01:31 PM | REPLY | NEWSWORTHY 1

Ooof, didn't think I had empathy for a robot, but that actually hit me in the feels.

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-14 02:19 PM | Reply

Great news, the human race has progressed to the point we're leaving trash on other planets!

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-14 02:23 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

He was no trash!

He had thoughts and feelings and aspirations beyond the red planet.

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-14 02:25 PM | Reply

Goodbye Opportunity!

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-02-14 05:24 PM | Reply

I just hope that his wife and little ones are looked after, so that none of them have to become Coke and Pepsi dispensers to get by.

#9 | Posted by Spork at 2019-02-14 06:23 PM | Reply

think its earned its rest.
#1 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2019-02-13 01:31 PM | REPLY | NEWSWORTHY 1

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-14 02:19 PM | Reply

In case you've not seen this comic before: xkcd.com

If that doesn't hit you in the feels, I don't know what to say.

#10 | Posted by StatsPlease at 2019-02-14 08:38 PM | Reply

Bad form, but here's this weeks comic about Opportunity itself:

xkcd.com

#11 | Posted by StatsPlease at 2019-02-14 08:43 PM | Reply

#4 was funny

Screw you guys.

Also Happy Friday no matter what planet you are on.

#12 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-02-15 10:15 AM | Reply