Wednesday, February 13, 2019

The tax preparers at H&R Block had to take a new class before their busy season started this year: empathy training. They listened to a mock exchange between an employee and a customer whose refund would not just shrink but disappear. The fictitious client had received a $1,500 refund last year, but this year would owe $575. The playacting was prescient. The tax overhaul that took effect last year promised relief, but now that returns are being filed, some people are baffled. They're getting smaller refunds -- or sometimes having to write a check -- even though nothing in their situation seems to have changed.

Comments

I have sympathy for anyone struggling financially. I have no sympathy for any Trump Moron who believed this snake oil Republican tax plan. They were warned in plentitude.

Someone else, someone already much richer than you are, is spending your tax refund. Get angry, get a clue, and this time don't confuse wearing a stupid red hat with being a citizen.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2019-02-13 08:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

ha!
HA! HA!
HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tax Cuts for the simpletons. WOOP-EEE!!!!

HAAAAA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh, it's fun when people get what they deserve.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-02-13 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

What?!?! Tiny Hand's big beautiful tax cut was just another bait and switch.

Shocking.

Anyone who thought Yetipubes was looking out for them and not just himself and his 1% friends need to get professional help.

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-02-13 08:57 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by Nixon at

They can look for themselves and see they don't need help. Just like they discovered the earth is flat and germs don't exist.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2019-02-13 09:00 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

so.... much....winnnnnnn-nnnning

#5 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-02-13 09:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Of course if over the past year if less was taken out of their paychecks, the refunds would be smaller. They need to look at their entire taxes and compare to the previous year's to realize the difference.

#6 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-02-13 10:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#6 | POSTED BY MSGT

That's the point being made.

The difference is smaller refunds if not having to owe this year.

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-13 11:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sorry, but reporting things that were already expected is terrible journalism. The article doesn't highlight anything that wasn't already said by Trump and other professionals. Once they can report on actual numbers, then we can figure out if Trump's plan worked or not.

Of course, we live in a day and age where we have people who are dishonest just because they don't like someone. The example they cite of someone going from positive last year to a $4500 bill this year is just dumb. Nobody is going to have that happen without other circumstances becoming part of the picture that weren't there last year. Maybe if you claimed a kid last year and didn't this year, that could explain it. However, there is no way in hell someone's taxes change that much. That's just petty journalism to spread partisan hate and anyone with common sense will immediately disregard that whole paragraph. Sure, there are people who will see less. But come on, don't be an idiot and try to make that dramatic of a statement just to prove a point because you don't like Trump.

#8 | Posted by humtake at 2019-02-13 12:01 PM | Reply

Maybe so hum, but you have to agree that waiting until after the election for people to see the results, was done so for a reason.

#9 | Posted by Zelkova at 2019-02-13 12:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"This will be the first year of my life that I've had to owe the IRS money come tax filing time."

#7 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 AT 2019-02-13 11:54 AM | FLAG: Congratulations, as this is the first time you did not give the govt an interest free loan of your money. I figured that out decades ago and have mine set to always owe some, and never send it in until the 15th of April.

#10 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-02-13 12:13 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by Zelkova at 2019-02-13 12:

He won't agree. Some people are dishonest just because they like someone.

#11 | Posted by Zed at 2019-02-13 12:33 PM | Reply

Sure, there are people who will see less.

#8 | Posted by humtake at 2019-02-13 12:01 PMFlag: (Choose)FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusive

Two-thirds of them.

#12 | Posted by Zed at 2019-02-13 12:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There will be a huge year over year sales drop for the Feb-April period.

Simple math says lower refunds means less spending cash.

#13 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-02-13 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#8 | Posted by humtake

You are WRONG on that. It's happening to a lot of people. $4500 is on the high end but I have spoke to several co-workers that went from $1000ish return to owing $1000ish and they are all bitzin. These are people making combined in the 100-120k/year range with their spouses. Let me say that the increase in my paycheck was small and does account for the swing on my end - if I didn't get a tax cut. Owe wait my tax cut was really that small. But I knew all that.

All the Trumpites I work with didn't believe what I told them, the cut was much smaller than the increase in their paycheck and the REASON for the increase in their paycheck was virtually all due to the decrease in withholding and the tax return they were counting on would NOT be there. People owing $4500 are in the higher wage ranges. What's funny is they blew me off and now I smile and shrug. I told them the tax cut was a scam on them.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-02-13 12:39 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by MSgt

An interest free loan is true and a way to look at it. Others count on it as interest free "savings" that enables them to make needed purchases of expensive things or to pay off large bills. Be mentally honest - MOST people are not good with saving or managing money and especially so the lower you are on the income scale. This WILL hurt a lot of people and businesses. It was a trick to make the masses more accepting of the tax plan it was only a matter of time until it really sunk in with people - time being tax season...

#15 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-02-13 12:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 | Posted by MSgt

And BTW - personally I would rather have a small return than owe. Which btw if you owe too much the government will come after you to pay more ahead of time. I bet someone owing $4500 gets a nasty from the IRS threatening them and telling them they will have to start making quarterly payments...

#16 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-02-13 12:47 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY MSGT

Wasn't planning for it, which is the problem. And the "more" money I received every month (tax boost?) amounts to far less than what I have to pay back. This is not evening out for me, so your point is not apt for this circumstance.

#17 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-13 12:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"This change, along with a lower business tax rate, would likely give the typical American household around a $4,000 pay raise". - Donald Trump

"At least $4,000". - Paul Ryan

"Would increase average household income in the United States by, very conservatively, $4,000 annually". - The Council of Economic Advisers

"Over 90 percent of Americans are going to fill out taxes on that postcard or a virtual electronic postcard". - Steven Mnuchin

#18 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-02-13 01:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Even the Trumpers and the Republicans had an inkling that there was trouble ahead. Immediately after the tax law was passed, all the GOP wanted to talk about was how this was going to help them in the upcoming 2018 elections. However, as we got closer and closer to the election, as people started to look deeper into the details of the tax law, that suddenly fewer Republicans wanted to talk about taxes. Trump even felt that he had to make that last-minute fake-proposal for an additional 'middle-class tax cut' that everyone knew was never going anywhere, that it was just his attempt to try and save the Republicans from the beating that they were about to take and which, in-the-end, didn't help a bit. In fact, for many people it simply confirmed that Trump was panicking when he realized that the only people who had drank the tax cut Kool-Aid had been his base, and they would have supported him even if he had shot someone on 5th Avenue.

OCU

#19 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-02-13 01:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanks to "Chief Little Hands" and all the people that voted for him, we'll be getting much smaller tax refunds that's if we're lucky at all...

ALL his followers believed in his so called "tax cuts"......BUT he was talking to his billionaire buddies, NOT YOU...SMALL WAGE EARNERS......

Now all of us will have to live with their decision. Some of them are so brain dead that will never realize what they have done......

...voting against their own interest.....

#20 | Posted by saginawmi at 2019-02-13 01:37 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by saginawmi

Are you really in Saginaw? Just curious, I live in the area.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-02-13 01:45 PM | Reply

"Congratulations, as this is the first time you did not give the govt an interest free loan of your money"

Reminds me of JFK's speech

"ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country"

except opposite, with no character and less morals

#22 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-02-13 01:52 PM | Reply

Not for me.
Income up only $5K from last year, same deductions as before.
I saw only $30/month extra in the paycheck, but my refund is $3500 less.
There's no way a Trump supporter can spin this.

#23 | Posted by e1g1 at 2019-02-13 02:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They will say that yeah, but they are still the white majority and that's what is important to them.

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2019-02-13 02:21 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by saginawmi

Are you really in Saginaw? Just curious, I live in the area.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete

I used to live and work in Saginaw, back in the 60's and 70's.

OCU

#25 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-02-13 02:44 PM | Reply

I drive by Saginaw on my "up north". I live in the Metro Detroit area.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-13 02:55 PM | Reply

I retired from Saginaw Steering Gear Plt 3, back in 2006, and moved to San Antonio in 2008.

I really miss my old town....too hot here in San Antonio in the summer!!! I used to live in Shields......

I remember the good old days in Saginaw.......

#27 | Posted by saginawmi at 2019-02-13 03:06 PM | Reply

I remember the good old days in Saginaw.......

#27 | POSTED BY SAGINAWMI

The DR used to have a poster who went by DCinMA. When he was in college he had a summer job on Mackinac Island. Like you, he'd wax nostalgic about those good old days...

#28 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-13 03:12 PM | Reply

I worked 14 years at Baker Perkins over on Hess Street. We lived for awhile on Benjamin Street near the hospital, and then eventually bought a house out in the township, off of Bay Road and Shattuck.

OCU

#29 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-02-13 03:31 PM | Reply

I used to live by Sheridan and Hess....by the Sunoco gas station.....

Then I moved to Shields (Thomas Township)......

#30 | Posted by saginawmi at 2019-02-13 06:10 PM | Reply

All You tRump Supporters(chumps).....BUY A BIGGER TRUCK !

#31 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2019-02-13 06:36 PM | Reply

I used to live by Sheridan and Hess....by the Sunoco gas station.....

Then I moved to Shields (Thomas Township)......

#30 | Posted by saginawmi

That was just about a mile from the old Baker Perkins factory. I left in 1980 and the company moved to North Carolina a few years later. About 10 years ago they started to demolish the factory buildings. Only part of the facility is still being used by a spin-off of the original company. BTW, I think that Sunoco station is now a BP station.

OCU

#32 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-02-14 01:31 AM | Reply

Precisely! With-holding tables were changed at the start of the tax year to reduce the amount of with-holding; making people think that the new tax law was benefiting them: the average tax payer. And, because it was an election year, if more tax payers thought the new tax law was benefiting them, they would feel good about the new law and thereby, feel good about republicans; maybe even voting for republicans.

Well, 2018 results are in and republican efforts at subterfuge didn't work: republicans loss the House. And now that people are realizing the consequences of the "middle class tax cuts", republicans have even less to crow about. Many people that held their nose and voted republican will likely not make that mistake again.

#33 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2019-02-14 06:33 AM | Reply

"Sorry, but reporting things that were already expected is terrible journalism."

I guess you would consider this "fake news" then.

Indeed!

Wwhy bother to keep reporting what we already know!

That Humpy has Always Lied, is Lying right Now, and is always gonna Lie in the Future.

#34 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-02-14 05:29 PM | Reply

yes my return is less, but my paycheck is more, overall I am keeping more of my money... I went from a refund in 06,07, and 08 to paying under BHO, so yes I will take this refund

#35 | Posted by scooter28054 at 2019-02-15 09:00 AM | Reply

"I went from a refund in 06,07, and 08 to paying under BHO, so yes I will take this refund"

Liar.

"During a Labor Day speech in Detroit, President Barack Obama offered a sampling of policy proposals to get the nation's economy moving. During the speech, Obama touted one policy achievement he had already enacted -- a one-year, 2 percentage point cut to the payroll tax that Obama was able to include in a December 2010 tax package. The package that passed with bipartisan support also extended the expiring George W. Bush-era tax cuts, among other things."

www.politifact.com

If you had to pay when Obama was President then you were either working as an outside contractor or, in some other way, having too little money deducted from your pay. Obama did not play the games Trump did with the withholding tables.

#36 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-15 09:08 AM | Reply

"yes my return is less, but my paycheck is more, overall I am keeping more of my money..."

You simply are too stupid to even understand taxes. Hilarious!

#37 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-15 09:10 AM | Reply