Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Six-part adaptation of Joseph Heller's satirical WW2 novel

Hulu said of the series in a synopsis, "Christopher Abbott is Yossarian, a bombardier, whose frantic obsession every time he goes up on a mission is ‘to come down alive.' His odds of success at such a simple aim keep getting worse, because Colonel Cathcart (Kyle Chandler) keeps raising the number of missions the men have to fly.

More than the retreating Germans, the real enemy for Yossarian and his rag-tag bunch of friends is the bureaucracy of the military, inverting logic at every turn.

The pinnacle of this is Catch-22, a military by-law which states that if you fly your missions, you're crazy, and don't have to fly them; all you have to do is ask. But if you as not to, then you're sane, and so you have to fly them."

Comments

Alan Arkin is still around; he and Michael Douglas just won Golden Globes for The Kominsky Method... would be cool if he had a role in this project.

There he is now....

parade.com

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2019-02-12 12:14 AM | Reply

The Kominsky Method...

#1 | POSTED BY CORKY

I liked that show.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-02-12 07:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I liked George clooney in The Men who Stare At Goats, but this trailer doesn't seem like it has the right attitude. I'm not sure the right attitude can exist in 2019.

#3 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-02-12 07:34 AM | Reply

Some say the book can never be captured on film... and they may be right.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2019-02-12 12:12 PM | Reply

This was always my favorite scene from the 1970 movie Catch-22. In a satirical way , it captures the whole spirit of the film. The horrible, or maybe you could even say , an evil indifference.

youtu.be

#5 | Posted by shane at 2019-02-12 04:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Maj. Major Major Major: Sergeant, from now on, I don't want anyone to come in and see me while I'm in my office. Is that clear?

First Sgt. Towser: Yes, sir. What do I say to people who want to come in and see you while you're in your office?

Maj. Major Major Major: Tell them I'm in and ask them to wait.

First Sgt. Towser: For how long?

Maj. Major Major Major: Until I've left.

First Sgt. Towser: And then what do I do with them?

Maj. Major Major Major: I don't care.

First Sgt. Towser: May I send people in to see you after you've left?

Maj. Major Major Major: Yes.

First Sgt. Towser: You won't be here then, will you?

Maj. Major Major Major: No.

First Sgt. Towser: I see, sir. Will that be all?

Maj. Major Major Major: Also, Sergeant, I don't want you coming in while I'm in my office asking me if there's anything you can do for me. Is that clear?

First Sgt. Towser: Yes, sir. When should I come in your office and ask if there's anything I can do for you?

Maj. Major Major Major: When I'm not there.

First Sgt. Towser: What do I do then?

Maj. Major Major Major: Whatever has to be done.

First Sgt. Towser: Yes, sir.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-12 05:05 PM | Reply