Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Joe Biden is everything a Democratic political consultant should love: He's experienced, well-liked, and his poll numbers look great against Donald Trump. And yet many party strategists have a bleak assessment of his potential 2020 campaign: It's a bad, bad idea. "This last election cycle, we've seen a whole new level of energy that has emerged through a lot of fresh faces, and the party has moved in that direction and wants to hear new ideas and different messages," said Norm Sterzenbach, a former executive director of the Iowa Democratic Party who now works as a consultant in the state. Added Jim Manley, longtime Democratic operative: "I'm not convinced Biden is the right way to go at this point in time."

Comments

Honestly, I was surprised by this, since I think that Biden would have destroyed Trump in 2016.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-02-11 12:10 PM | Reply

I don't know if Biden can beat Trump but I'd vote for him just for his return as a regular Onion story.

www.theonion.com

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-02-11 12:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

If he does run, you can be sure that this Creepy Uncle Joe video will once again go viral.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-11 12:44 PM | Reply

"I think that Biden would have destroyed Trump in 2016."

He likely would have. I certainly would have voted for him, and I know many non-Clinton voters who would too. That said, I do have this niggling doubt that he missed his window of opportunity. It really depends whether he can still project a personality that overcomes the 'his turn'-ism curse.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-02-11 12:47 PM | Reply

I would have voted for him as well, but I do agree on Biden missing his window. I totally get why he decided not to run, but I think he was a far better choice then either the Hildebeast or Donnie Little Hands.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-11 12:48 PM | Reply

Joltin' Joe would challenge Dapper Don to fistfight behind the gym.... and he'd win, too.

America might be ready for some traditional moderate sanity after this latest tweet-based insanity president. Joe prolly still uses a rotary dial phone.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2019-02-11 01:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Biden would destroy Trump. Not saying he is the best, but Orange Adolf won't be hard to beat after Mueller and the SDNY get done with him as he is an agent of Russia.

#7 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-02-11 01:59 PM | Reply

Biden has too many gaffes. He's great, but it won't work in this age. If RoC is for it, then it's a bad idea.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-02-11 08:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden has too many gaffes.

They're trying to kill Warren with just one. Might as well go all in. Joe Biden presents very well but he should have run last time.

Too old now. So is Warren.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-02-11 08:59 PM | Reply

I wouldn't put much stock in anything FakeLawyer says.
He's not the brightest bulb on the alt-right Christmas tree.

#10 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-02-11 09:00 PM | Reply

Tell me again why by he dropped out of the presidential race in 88? Something about plagiarizing another politician. Neil Kennick wasn't it? So why does he get a pass on it because 35 more years have passed?

‘In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking." -- Crazy uncle Joe

#11 | Posted by homerj at 2019-02-11 09:45 PM | Reply

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here's what happened." –Joe Biden, apparently unaware that FDR wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929 and that only experimental TV sets were around then, interview with Katie Couric, Sept. 22, 2008

#12 | Posted by homerj at 2019-02-11 09:47 PM | Reply

Need a fresh, new face?

How about John Kerry? He's tanned, rested. and ready to rumble.

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-02-12 02:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Biden has too many gaffes.

Covfefe?

Hamberders?

All Biden needs is some fresh hair plugs and he's ready.

#14 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-02-12 02:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer

Almost anybody except hillary would have destroyed trump.

Biden is just too old now. It's not just that he's gropey with women and cozy with plutocrats, he's too damn old. He missed his chance because his son died and it was "hillary's turn".

The last 2 old presidents we've had have had mush in their skulls - reagan and trump.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 02:51 PM | Reply

Too old now. So is Warren.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL

Warren's not too old, she missed her chance because she would have seized all the populist anti elite voters that trump scooped up. But it was "hillary's turn" so warren had to stand aside for the plutocrat's puppet.

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 02:53 PM | Reply

When Biden told that guy to stand up I thought I was going to die laughing.
Biden's own reaction was priceless.

He's creepy in a metoo way, but he would be a nice transition back to semi normalcy.

#17 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-02-12 02:56 PM | Reply

Too old now. So is Warren.

She's 3 years younger than Trump. And honestly, if a candidate has a clean bill of health (from a docor they haven't bribed) and picks a good VP, i don't really care how old they are.

#18 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 03:05 PM | Reply

Biden/Beto ticket would solve the age worries.

#19 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-02-12 03:09 PM | Reply

Some Dems Fear Biden Doesn't Have the 2020 Winning Fresh Face

Those Dems are spot on! The one factor that has predicted the election of a POTUS: "which candidate is seemingly coming out of left field?"

This factor has held true ever since Carter.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-12 03:11 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Exactly right. Every candidate that was perceived as being entitled to being the candidate of a given party has lost since Carter.

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-12 03:13 PM | Reply

*Save for George HW Bush, I believe.

#22 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-12 03:14 PM | Reply

--Biden/Beto ticket would solve the age worries.

White Guys 2020!

#23 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-02-12 03:14 PM | Reply

Biden/Beto ticket would solve the age worries.

Wouldn't solve the problem of Biden being cozy with financial services companies.

Sanders/Beto
Brown/Beto
Klobuchar/Beto

#24 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 03:15 PM | Reply

Biden has too many gaffes.
#8 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

I don't know about that. Trump over came, is still over comes, numerous gaffes and outright lies. This may be a new day and age for folks like that.

#25 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-12 03:16 PM | Reply

White Guys 2020!
#23 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not.

#26 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-02-12 03:16 PM | Reply

White Guys 2020!

What do you care? You're going to vote for a bloated, senile russian asset who paints his white skin orange.

#27 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 03:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Born Nov 09, 1952

#29 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-12 03:26 PM | Reply

Sanders/Beto
Brown/Beto
Klobuchar/Beto

#24 | Posted by JOE

I fail to see the fascination with beto. Is it just that he seems like a white obama?

Aren't dem's forgetting that half obama's success resulted from his race, which made minority voters turn out when they usually stay home?

#30 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 03:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Amy Klobuchar
58 years old
Born May 25, 1960

Kamala Harris
54 years old
Born Oct 20, 1964

Cory Booker
49 years old
Born Apr 27, 1969

Beto O'Rourke
46 years old
Born Sep 26, 1972

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-12 03:32 PM | Reply

--Take the black out of obama and you get beto, and those voters will stay home again. What are you left with? A young white guy with no experience taking bribe money from google and AT&T.

Ouch.

#32 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-02-12 03:35 PM | Reply

Tulsi Gabbard is the only candidate that can beat Trump. Get her a pro-labor VP and it's game over.

But they won't, because Neera Tanden's friends need jobs. So it will be Harris and one of the three other dorks that Gal listed and they'll get their ass kicked.

#33 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2019-02-12 03:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Tulsi Gabbard
37 years old
Born Apr 12, 1981

#34 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-12 03:41 PM | Reply

I would vote for either Tulsi or Kamala, the rest of them (including Trump) aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.

#35 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-12 03:43 PM | Reply

Beto generated enough enthusiasm to nearly win a statewide race in Texas FFS, and he ran as a progressive. He gets huge crowds wherever he goes. It doesn't matter *why* anyone likes him. If you don't understand the importance of turnout and enthusiasm in 2020 that's your issue.

#36 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 03:45 PM | Reply

How about Gavin Newsome? He's a young, rich white male.

And he has just hammered the Moonbeam Express. Probably won't help with the "Green Scheme" crowd, but he'll look like the responsible adult in the room

www.latimes.com

#37 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-02-12 03:48 PM | Reply

Beto generated enough enthusiasm to...

..lose to Ted Cruz. Enough said.

#38 | Posted by Spork at 2019-02-12 03:53 PM | Reply

#38 by 200,000 votes, as a progressive, in the red state of Texas, where Republicans typically win by 1-2 million votes.

You scared?

#39 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 04:00 PM | Reply

Sherrod Brown
66 years old
Born Nov 09, 1952
#29 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

#40 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2019-02-12 04:07 PM | Reply

en.wikipedia.org

Tulsi Gabbard is an ultra liberal. Only an older AOC..

#41 | Posted by boaz at 2019-02-12 04:16 PM | Reply

#36 | Posted by JOE

I understand the importance - that's why trump is president. Dems ignored enthusiasm in 2016.

I just think dems are overestimating this guy's appeal to the people who elected obama.

White obama = less popular obama.

#42 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You scared?

Donald Trump, who you consider to be the biggest ------ on the planet, BEAT, Ted Cruz, slappy. Seems to me the next Savior of knuckleheads like you could do the same. You drinking again?

#43 | Posted by Spork at 2019-02-12 04:19 PM | Reply

end

#44 | Posted by Spork at 2019-02-12 04:19 PM | Reply

Beto...
You ------- clowns are as bad as trump voters.

Hey republicans, hold our beer, cuz we are going to double down on bad decisions.
-Dems

#45 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-02-12 04:26 PM | Reply

Tulsi Gabbard is an ultra liberal. Only an older AOC..

#41 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2019-02-12 04:16 PM

Not even close, while she is in favor of alternative energy and is a (palm) tree hugger, many of her positions are more closely aligned with conservatives: strong military, less intervention overseas, school choice, lower taxes. Her father was one of the last Republicans in Hawaii but switched parties after he was elected to State office so he could get reelected.

My fear is that her opponents will scream DINO at her during the primaries.

#46 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-12 04:29 PM | Reply

White obama = less popular obama.

Overly simplistic argument = overly simplistic argument

#47 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 04:32 PM | Reply

Beto...You clowns are as bad as trump voters.

Haha yeah, because voting for a popular Congressman who nearly turned a deep red state blue is totally the same thing as voting for a bloated senile orange failed game show host in a wig who brags about sexual assault and couldn't even make money on a casino.

I mean i know you're basically a troll at this point, but the least you could do is come up with some stupid nickname like "Beto Ball Buffers" or something. You're losing your touch.

#48 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 05:03 PM | Reply

www.theonion.com

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine

Until I read the headlines on this link, all this time I believed that Biden truly was an advocate for Americans who only had access to ------ ditch weed. It was the ------- Onion. Oh my!

#49 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-02-12 05:06 PM | Reply

You guys going to go through the whole thread without mentioning Creepy Joe's fetish for sniffing little girls?

#50 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-02-12 05:09 PM | Reply

Shallow Joe,
You know who generates enthusiasm and has more accomplishments than Beto?
Flavor Flav.
Varsity cheerleaders.
Michael Buffer.
Kim Kardasian.

Like, seriously, like who like cares why they totally literally like get liked, ya know?
-Josie

#51 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-02-12 05:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yeah, those guys are totally comparable to a congressman. Are you even trying anymore?

#52 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 05:30 PM | Reply

White obama = less popular obama.

Overly simplistic argument = overly simplistic argument

#47 | Posted by JOE

So convince me. What about this guy is worth voting for over someone who DOESNT take bribes from google and AT&T?

What's going to make minority voters, who only voted for the first black president and otherwise never vote, go to the polls for him?

#53 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 05:41 PM | Reply

You're the ---- that said you didn't care why enthusiasm was inspired, just that it was.
Changing your tune so quickly?
Own your words, SlowJoe.

Ok, Joe doesn't care why you inspire enthusiasm, as long as you were a white congressman that lost the last election you ran in, against a guy people hate.

#54 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-02-12 05:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Turn out and enthusiasm.
Not one word about qualifications.

Your words, Joe. Your words.

#55 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-02-12 05:50 PM | Reply

I didn't realize i needed to itemize every single reason to vote for or against any given person every single time i say anything about them for fear of my post being deemed an exhaustive list hours later by a has-been troll.

#56 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 05:54 PM | Reply

What's going to make minority voters...go to the polls for him?

Did you even pay attention to the race?

He led among black voters 97-3, and among hispanics 54-45 against a Republican with a Cuban name.

He generated unprecedented turnout for a Dem in Texas. The Dem Senate candidate in 2014 had 1.6 million votes. Beto had 4 million.

Things like fundraising, popularity and turnout matter, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Nobody "liked" Hillary Clinton, and she lost. Imagine if she had the charisma to get millions to show up at rallies in red and purple states.

#57 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 06:06 PM | Reply

You said you didn't care why he enthused people. Just that he did.
That's pretty clear cut. No other itemization necessary, because you don't care why.

If you're too stupid to express your thoughts clearly maybe you should stop posting, or learn to properly express yourself?

#58 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-02-12 06:14 PM | Reply

"Sherrod Brown has a strong appeal to some of Trump's base - the blue collar middle class in the Midwest.
Given the strategic importance placed on some of those states in of our f-d up electoral college system, he deserves consideration."

I wanted Hillary to pick him as her VP instead of Kane for that very reason. He doesn't have a lot of charisma, but he does talk like a human being.

#59 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-12 06:18 PM | Reply

#57 | Posted by JOE

Her charisma wasn't the problem, her corruption was. Americans know you're not going to fight for them while taking bribe money from the status quo elites.
Bernie had zero charisma but was packing arenas because he had ethics and an agenda (and record) of truly righting for the middle class.

I look on beto's donor list and I see google and AT&T right near the top. Smells like white obama to me. A seemingly populist guy with elite donors who then goes easy on the elites once elected.

#60 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 06:21 PM | Reply

You said you didn't care why he enthused people. Just that he did.

That statement was limited to his enthusing qualities (i.e. personality and likeability), not his overall status as a candidate. I don't care why people like him. That doesn't mean i don't care about his policies. I'm sorry your rotten brain couldn't figure thay out.

#61 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 06:52 PM | Reply

#60 I'll take white obama over orange hitler any day of the week. He's certainly not my first choice (Sanders, Brown and Klobuchar all above him) but whoever has the best chance of beating Trump is my candidate.

#62 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 06:54 PM | Reply

Unless something changes in the next 20 months, I honestly don't think that any of the 4 you mentioned can beat Trump at this point.

Harris, Biden and maybe Warren can IMO, but time will tell.

#63 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-12 06:58 PM | Reply

#62 | Posted by JOE

I would too. I'm just waiting on a beto supporter to tell me why he's the best choice. If AT&T found him appealing, that probably means he's not going to be a fighter for the working class. I know he was extremely hyped in his local race, but I see nothing that says "this guy should run for president." other than white people wanting a white obama and ignoring that obama's race was a critical ingredient in his success.

#64 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 07:00 PM | Reply

I'm just waiting on a beto supporter to tell me why he's the best choice.

I never said he was the best choice, but it'd be foolish to ignore his clear advantage in drawing crowds and fundraising. He could probably boost a ticket more than any other VP choice.

I'm no expert in campaign finance, but it looks like every donation he got was from an individual (as opposed to a PAC) and that nearly half of his donations were from small donors ($200 or less).
www.opensecrets.org

Kamala Harris takes PAC money, has Time Warner and Google at the top of her list, and only 34% of her donations come from small donors.
www.opensecrets.org

So if we're really going to start parsing donor reports let's look at everyone.

#65 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 07:47 PM | Reply

www.opensecrets.org

So if we're really going to start parsing donor reports let's look at everyone.

#65 | Posted by JOE

Yeah that's why I'm not a kamala fan either. Dems foolishly tried running a corporate puppet in 2016.

Leave the billionaire bribe money for repubs. Dems dont need to ruin their credibility with it.

As for beto, I'm suspicious that his success came from the specific race and state he was in. I dont think the dem base is every going to vote for another white man for president.

#66 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 08:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

dem base is ever going to vote for another white man for president. ---Speaks

Have been saying this since forever

Doesn't mean DemElite won't try.

#67 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-02-12 08:34 PM | Reply

Doesn't mean DemElite won't try.

#67 | Posted by AndreaMackris

Dem elite will do what they've done the past 2 dem prez candidates - find a non white or non male candidate willing to sell the country out for cash - basically a female or minority republican.

#68 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 08:42 PM | Reply

One of Bernie's objections in 2016 was not enough debates, so:

Democratic officials schedule 12 debates for 2020 presidential primary as they brace for huge field

The party will hold 12 debates, beginning in June 2019. If necessary, depending on the number of candidates who meet the threshold, the DNC is prepared to split the first two debates in June and July into consecutive nights, said DNC Chairman Tom Perez. If that happens, the lineup will be determined by random selection, which will take place publicly.

"It's conceivable that we have a double-digit field," Perez told reporters on a conference call. "That is why we are planning for that contingency."

www.usatoday.com

#69 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-12 09:35 PM | Reply

"Six debates will be held in 2019 and six in 2020. Debates in the four early-voting states – Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada – will be held in 2020."

It's always depressing to be reminded how flawed our election system is. Everything in this country is designed to give more power to yokels and farmers than productive members of modern society.

Look no further than the fact that we grow corn to burn in our cars which messes up the engines. This is what happens when you have both parties kissing iowa's ass because the election starts there.

The primary election should be nationwide and simultaneous.

#70 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-12 09:54 PM | Reply

And you continually wonder why you lose the EC...

#71 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-12 10:26 PM | Reply

his clear advantage in drawing crowds and fundraising.
#65 | POSTED BY JOE

By that same logic you'd be foolish to support Beto over Bernie Sanders or Kamala Harris.

#72 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-02-12 10:47 PM | Reply

And you continually wonder why you lose the EC...

#71 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Ted, you've got to learn to actively read. He literally just explained why and you quoted it. The question is, why do you support such anti-democratic tyranny?

#73 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-02-12 10:49 PM | Reply

#66 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Which is why I'm terrified if he becomes the nominee. Losing to Ted Cruz, who spent the last two years with his lips glued to the ass of the man that viciously mocked his wife and father, in a state that has been "Turning Blue" for a decade, during the biggest democratic sweep in modern history, with the entire nation focused on him and his campaign, is incredible. Its an astounding defeat and should be disqualifying. He'd be a great Veep candidate.

#74 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-02-12 10:53 PM | Reply

#82 I don't support him over Sanders, but i find it very hard to believe Harris is anywhere near the draw.

#75 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 11:21 PM | Reply

*72

#76 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-12 11:21 PM | Reply

Lots of people have underestimated Kamala, and she is now the Junior Senator for California.

#77 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-12 11:31 PM | Reply

So what? There are all sorts of junior senators who don't draw crowds and money like O'Rourke.

#78 | Posted by JOE at 2019-02-13 07:07 AM | Reply

#78 | Posted by JOE

...IN TEXAS. A state that doesn't matter for democrats.

Again, a lot of the dem base isn't going to get off the couch to vote for a white man. It's racist and sexist, but it's reality.

#79 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-13 11:14 AM | Reply

"...IN TEXAS. A state that doesn't matter for democrats."

www.washingtonpost.com

#80 | Posted by eberly at 2019-02-13 11:20 AM | Reply

"Lots of people have underestimated Kamala

She's a cop. Beholden to the MIC and the obligatory foreign special interests.

#81 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-02-13 11:38 AM | Reply

"...IN TEXAS. A state that doesn't matter for democrats."

www.washingtonpost.com

#80 | Posted by eberly

Care to make it interesting? I'm taking all bets that dems wont win texas.

#82 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-02-13 11:45 AM | Reply