Thursday, February 07, 2019

The woman who accused Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of sexual assault has gone public with her story by releasing a statement describing the 2004 encounter when both were attending the Democratic National Convention in Boston. Vanessa Tyson said she recently wrote in a private message on Facebook that she was assaulted by someone at the convention, but she did not name Fairfax.

Tyson, an associate professor of politics at Scripps College in Claremont, Calif., and currently a fellow at Stanford University, said she decided to come forward after Fairfax issued a statement and spoke with reporters to deny the allegations. He says the encounter was consensual. On Wednesday, Fairfax released another statement, saying Tyson's allegation was "surprising and hurtful." Fairfax also said he wanted to emphasize "how important it is for us to listen to women when they come forward with allegations of sexual assault or harassment."

Comments

-They both were at "parties" when the encounter took place

-They both were in a private room when the kissing and then alleged assault took place

-They both left immediately and didn't tell anyone

-Neither of them filed a police report

-They both waited for years to come out with their stories

-They both approached congresspeople with their stories when they saw their alleged attacker was going to be elected/appointed to a high office

-They both talked to the press and initially the newspaper was reluctant to run with the story

-They are both professors at colleges in California

-They both retained the same law firm to represent them in connection with these accusations

-The accused both deny that the incident occurred as related by their accuser

-The accused both retained the same law firm to represent them against these accusations

-Detractors are calling both of these allegations "political hack jobs"

And the list goes on and on.

Other than age and severity of the allegations, how are these alleged attacks different (and spare us the pathetic "appointed for life v. elected official" deflection)?

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 03:34 PM | Reply

"What is striking to me are the similarities between Ms. Tyson and Dr. Ford's backstory and accusations:"

Are there similarities in how much you don't believe either of them too?

Or are you waiting for calendars?

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 03:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

how are these alleged attacks different

Ms Tyson gives a precise date and location.

Ms Tyson doesn't have differing versions based upon who she is talking to (I was in my late teens. It occurred mid-80's).

Ms Tyson has corroborating evidence along with a witness (the accused) who admits that an event took place.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-07 03:40 PM | Reply

Are there similarities in how much you don't believe either of them too?

We certainly know who you believe and who you don't.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-07 03:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"and spare us the pathetic "appointed for life v. elected official" deflection)?"

Why? There is a huge difference and the level of power they have is far different as well. Don't tell us to compare apples and oranges and pretend they are the same.
They aren't the same by any stretch of the imagination.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-07 03:43 PM | Reply

"The accused doesn't deny that a sexual encounter took place - just that it was consensual. "

I'm probably sort of naive about this but how does involuntary oral sex occur if it isn't consensual unless a huge amount of fear is instilled into the woman which seems very unlikely even is a side room of a party.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-07 03:45 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY DANNI

Well, it's kind of hard to scream when your mouth is full.

That she didn't tell anyone immediately after it happened is what I have trouble with.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-07 03:48 PM | Reply

Fear...or the use of force:

""What began as consensual kissing quickly turned into a sexual assault. Mr. Fairfax put his hand behind my neck and forcefully pushed my head towards his crotch," she recalled. "Only then did I realize that he had unbuckled his belt, unzipped his pants, and taken out his penis. He then forced his penis into my mouth."

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 03:48 PM | Reply

Are there similarities in how much you don't believe either of them too?

I never said I didn't believe that Dr. Ford was attacked, I just wanted more corroborating evidence and thought, as here, that there was more than a little political motivation behind the timing of the revelation. I believe both encounters took place, that the women involved felt that they were assaulted and that the alleged perps saw it vastly differently, if at all.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 03:55 PM | Reply

Here's the problem for Democrats:

If the governor has to go over blackface, then the third in line must also go. That means Fairfax is the only option and that creates a different set of problems.

It's almost as if they either all go, or none of them go.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-07 03:55 PM | Reply

If at all?

That means Kavanaugh might not have been Ford's attacker, correct?

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 03:59 PM | Reply

It's almost as if they either all go, or none of them go.

The Dems have no good choices here.

As I pointed out in the other thread, since the first option will result in Cox becoming Governor, the Dems are going to abandon their (fairly new) no tolerance narrative and defend Gov. Blackface and AG BlackfaceToo.

As for Lt. Gov. ForcedBJ, they put way too much political capital into going after Justice Kavanaugh, so I think Fairfax is going to be thrown to the wolves. This also has huge risks for the Virginia Democratic Party, because all too many voters are going to see this as once again sacrificing the black guy to save the white guys.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:05 PM | Reply

Put down your ------ and use your Reading Comprehension lessons:

"the alleged perps saw it vastly differently, if at all."

I am talking about the perception of the alleged abusers, nothing more.

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:07 PM | Reply

Once again, Snoofy avoids the question with another question, so I will repost it:

#14 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:08 PM | Reply

ROC are you going to demand the resignation of the Virginia Republican Senate Majority leader?

#15 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-07 04:11 PM | Reply

I put Normand in the same boat as Northam and Haggard, if one goes, they all go.

But stay focused on Fairfax: How about you, do you believe Ms. Tyson with the same certainty that you believed Dr. Ford?

#16 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:13 PM | Reply

"I am talking about the perception of the alleged abusers, nothing more.
#13 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER"

Okay, so what does "if at all" mean?
Kavanaugh was blackout drunk so he has no perception or something?

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 04:13 PM | Reply

As for Lt. Gov. ForcedBJ...
#12 | POSTED BY ----------

After you voluntarily suck some dick, do you also claim you were forced?

#18 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-02-07 04:13 PM | Reply

And to be perfectly clear, I believe that they all should resign over the blackface issue, even though Normand was only the editor he was responsible for putting those photos in there so he is also complicit.

#19 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:14 PM | Reply

"How about you, SNOOFY, do you believe Ms. Tyson with the same certainty that you believed Dr. Ford?"

I'll answer. No. Like I said above, I find it hard to believe without incredible amount of force and fear which I doubt would be possible in that situation.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-07 04:14 PM | Reply

I wouldn't know not having ever done that, is that what you did?

#21 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:15 PM | Reply

"even though Normand was only the editor he was responsible for putting those photos in there"

Along with racial slurs.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-07 04:16 PM | Reply

Thank you for your honesty. I tend to agree with you, since she does have teeth she has a very obvious way of ending the situation. That being said, unlike Indy I have never been in that situation so have no frame of reference.

#23 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:17 PM | Reply

Agreed, which is why Normand should resign as well.

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:18 PM | Reply

Deflection noted...now answer the question -----.

#25 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:19 PM | Reply

"I am talking about the perception of the alleged abusers, nothing more.
#13 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER"

Okay, but what's that even got to do with your belief, or disbelief, in the allegations?

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 04:21 PM | Reply

Not playing your game Snoofy, thread is not about that.

Now I will post the question for a third time:

Or does Danni have more testicular fortitude than you (and apparently the rest of the DR Left>)

#27 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:24 PM | Reply

And that should be Norment, not Normand BTW

#28 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:26 PM | Reply

"do you believe Ms. Tyson with the same certainty that you believed Dr. Ford?"

I can't say because I haven't seen Tyson testify in person under oath before the Senate Judiciary committee. That's not going to happen, but maybe she'll do some TV interviews so people can at least see and hear her tell her story. What convinced me, and many others, that Ford's account was believable was watching her testify about it under oath in a very high pressure situation with the whole world watching.

#29 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-07 04:33 PM | Reply

"Not playing your game Snoofy, thread is not about that."

You brought it up.
Why?

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 04:34 PM | Reply

Why is there not article linked to for this thread?

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-07 04:36 PM | Reply

not=no

#32 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-07 04:38 PM | Reply

That's the second time that has happened to me in two days, it must have stripped out since I know I put it in.

Here it is:

NPR:Virginia Lt. Governor's Accuser Comes Forward With Account Of Alleged Sexual Assault

#33 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Quit avoiding the question, -----.

#34 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:44 PM | Reply

That's fair, I would like to see her interviewed as well. With today's newcycle, I have a feeling that is probably in the works as we speak.

She is a professor at Claremont's Scripps College, a Stanford Fellow and a published author, so I think she is probably very polished and comfortable in front of a camera.

#35 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 04:47 PM | Reply

Now I will post the question for a fourth time:

Or do Danni and Gal have more testicular fortitude than you (and apparently the rest of the DR Left)...

#36 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 05:05 PM | Reply

If I answer now, it will spoil your opportunity to think about my balls.

Im a nice guy.

I'm not going to take away your fun.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 05:23 PM | Reply

Local story here today about an employee of the county clerk who's now suing for $1m over being 'forced' to give the county clerk head for 12 YEARS!!???

How the ---- can anyone force a woman to--------- once a week for 12 years?

#38 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-02-07 05:32 PM | Reply

how did he get away with that for 12 years?

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2019-02-07 05:48 PM | Reply

"400 years? That sounds like a choice."

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 05:52 PM | Reply

Keep avoiding it, it suits your idiocy.

#41 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 06:03 PM | Reply

You mad bro?
You sound mad.

Try not to break the point of your pencil in your rage, but pencil me in for a little of what Danni said, and a little of what Gal_Tuesday said, if you really just can't make it to tomorrow otherwise.

"Why is there not article linked to for this thread?"

He likes the attention.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 06:27 PM | Reply

After you voluntarily suck some dick, do you also claim you were forced?

#18 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES

is that what you did?

#21 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Deflection noted...now answer the question -----.

#25 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Answer the question, -----.

#43 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-02-07 06:27 PM | Reply

how did he get away with that for 12 years?

#39 | Posted by eberly

A woman being forced/coerced once by a boss is understandable circumstances. Claiming to having been forced 600 times over 12 years is not credible. This sounds like a shakedown. I have a couple acquaintances (one a female) who work in HR who'd have put an end to it pronto had it been reported, and would have moved her to a different office.

#44 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-02-07 07:46 PM | Reply

Answer the question, -----.

#43 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES AT 2019-02-07 06:27 PM

Nice editing, since you are obviously better at sucking dick then being honest, I will post my answer again and bold it so that you can see it through your ------- smeared eyes:

I wouldn't know not having ever done that, is that what you did?

#21 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2019-02-07 04:15 PM

You're pathetic and DRtarded.

#45 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 08:37 PM | Reply

You are also pathetic, but not as DRtarded as BukkIndy, so you have that going for you, I guess.

#46 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 08:39 PM | Reply

I think there are significant differences between their two stories, and age and the severity of the allegations are where those significant differences lie. But, having said that, so what? I don't know why we need to compare the stories at all. What does what Ford says happened to her in the 1980s when she was 15 have to do with what Tyson says happened to her in 2004 when I assume she was in her 20s? Nothing, and that's the way it should be. We need to judge all of these allegations on a case-by-case basis.

Also in the works I'm sure are reporters looking for other women who might have similar stories to tell about Fairfax.

#47 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-07 09:33 PM | Reply

The only way this claim is truly credible is a massive blackmail situation.

#48 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-07 09:38 PM | Reply

"It's not surprising that you lack the intellectual capacity and honestly to do more than vaguely reference two other posters answers so that you aren't pinned down to anything."

I shouldn't be surprising.

When it come to the equivocation you so desperately seek, I barely know anything about the accuser, or the alleged perpetrator of the assault, or their backgrounds, or any of the type of information that's readily available for a Clarence Thomas 2.0 and Anita Hill 2.0.

So none of my opinions about them are going to be as refined as those of Ford and Kavanaugh, because they shouldn't be.

I do my best to ensure my intellectual capacity is limited to forming opinions based on facts, and I have a a lot more of those about the unrepentant groping drunks we have on the Supreme Court than Viriginia Lieutenant Governors.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-07 09:48 PM | Reply

Kirsten Gillibrand @SenGillibrand

I support Dr. Tyson. She showed enormous courage in coming forward, and her very credible claims require investigation. In this country, institutional bias stacks against survivors, for the powerful. We have to support survivors first so their claims can be fully investigated.

#50 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-07 10:02 PM | Reply

#33 From the NPR article:

And the National Organization for Women called on Fairfax to resign his position. "Her story is horrifying, compelling and clear as day -- and we believe her," NOW President Toni Van Pelt said in Wednesday's statement. "We believe and support survivors. We always believe and support survivors."

#51 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-07 10:09 PM | Reply

I do my best to ensure my intellectual capacity is limited

Mission Accomplished.

#52 | Posted by Spork at 2019-02-08 09:00 AM | Reply

"We believe and support survivors. We always believe and support survivors."

Sorry, I don't believe all survivors. Some of them are liars. We all know that.

"Thank you for your honesty. I tend to agree with you, since she does have teeth she has a very obvious way of ending the situation."

Hate to say it but that exact thought occurred to me too. I may be speaking out wrongly but if it were me he would have left that room seriously injured.

#53 | Posted by danni at 2019-02-08 09:28 AM | Reply

That is what has always bothered me about coerced oral sex allegations. When I was a young prosecutor at the DA's office I had a single sex assault case that occurred in a public park in Beverly Hills that is notorious for gay hookups (it was the park that George Michael was busted in) and one of the allegations was coerced oral sex. Predictably, the Defense argued that, at least between consenting males of similar size and strength, it was unlikely that this was anything other than consensual due to the fact that biting would be a mode of defense to the attack, we called it the "Mandible Defense".

We were worried enough about it that we accepted a plea to misdemeanor assault and indecent exposure, when I talked to the jury after they were dismissed most of them said that they probably would have acquitted the defendant for that reason.

#54 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-08 12:12 PM | Reply

In her allegation statement, Tyson doesn't say that she said no or yelled out or struggled. She says she started crying and gagging, which should have been a clue that something was wrong, yes, but I, too, questioned why she didn't offer more resistance. They were in a hotel after all where others could have heard her cries for help and potentially intervened. I also found it puzzling that she didn't know Fairfax had unzipped his pants and took out his penis until he shoved her head down toward it. What was she doing, how is it possible that he unzipped and pulled out and she didn't notice? It doesn't mean she's not telling the truth, but those are some questions I had when reading her testimony.

#55 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 12:21 PM | Reply

"but I, too, questioned why she didn't offer more resistance."

I say that because Fairfax wasn't her boss or professor, someone who held a position of power over her who could negatively effect her current or future career.

#56 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 12:27 PM | Reply

What is striking to me are the similarities between Ms. Tyson and Dr. Ford's backstory and accusations - #1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-07 03:34 PM
Ms Tyson gives a precise date and location. - #3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-02-07 03:40 PM
Tyson doesn't say that she said no or yelled out or struggled. #55 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 12:21 PM

Thanks.

#57 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-02-08 12:37 PM | Reply

Good point, but there are other types of "force" that obviously could come into play. It still seems weird though, that she went through with it given the options that she had, as noted above.

#58 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-08 12:38 PM | Reply

I didn't know if she had a doctorate, if that is the case then I will use the proper honorific.

#59 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-08 12:39 PM | Reply

"Tyson is a graduate from Princeton University with a degree in politics. She also has a certificate in African American Studies and an M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in political science."

"Dr. Tyson" is correct.

#60 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-08 12:41 PM | Reply

"She says she started crying and gagging, which should have been a clue that something was wrong."

These sound like her problems, not his problems.

There seem to be more differences than similarities to the Kavanaugh allegations. Age of consent was satisfied. The event is acknowledged to have taken place by both parties. It's really a much different case. If anything nefarious did happen it's more like Cosby or better yet Weinstein.

#61 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-08 12:53 PM | Reply

"After how many times we faced the onslaught of DOCTOR! when someone accidently only said 'Ford', I'd prefer if we went ahead and correctly called her Dr. Tyson or Dr. Vanessa Tyson, please.
Thanks."

I dropped the Dr. before both of them upthread; sorry if that doesn't suit you:

#29 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-07 04:33 PM |

#62 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 01:09 PM | Reply

#58 | Posted by Rightocenter

Another thing that complicates this case is that Tyson agrees with Fairfax that the kissing part of their encounter was consensual. That doesn't mean that she couldn't have changed her mind, but when she did, I don't know why she didn't say no or stop. I read that she is an ------ survivor, so maybe she went into shock and froze instead of engaging in fight or flight. She does says she started crying and gagging and thought that would be enough to signal her distress.

#63 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 01:14 PM | Reply

"I read that she is an ------ survivor, so maybe she went into shock and froze instead of engaging in fight or flight."

Gets back to this being her problem, all he did was remind her of it.

#64 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-08 01:16 PM | Reply

#64 If so, that would be ironic as this is in her bio:

Survivor Speaker
Boston Area Rape Crisis Center
October 2002 – July 2005 2 years 10 months
Human Rights

I was a founding member of the Survivor Speakers' Bureau. I toured all over Massachusetts, where I gave talks about child sexual abuse and ------, and how it affects child development. I spoke to colleges and high schools, juvenile detention centers, the Boston Public Health Commission, the Massachusetts State Sex Offender Registry Board, and a press conference at the State House with the Lieutenant Governor of the State of MA.

www.linkedin.com

#65 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 01:25 PM | Reply

I wouldn't call that irony, but I get what you are saying.

I was at a party where a woman was raped. She got drunk, passed out in her room, woke up with a guy on top of her. She didn't try to fight him off, figured it was safer to just let him finish. Cops told her it would be very difficult to prosecute since the guy was a guest and a friend she'd invited into her house.

That's life. You can get raped in your own home and there's nothing the justice system can do to help you. I suspect there's likewise nothing the justice system can do for Tyson.

Court of Public Opinion might have a different verdict, but I doubt it. If Kavanaugh got a pass I think Fairfax gets one too.

As I've stated repeatedly, my problem with Kavanaugh isn't his youthful indiscretions of drunken gropings, it's his stonewall lying about them as a grown man. And the political outlook which says "Attaboy, Bart!" to that demeanor in a Supreme Court judge.

#66 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-02-08 01:44 PM | Reply

I have no reason to doubt Tyson is telling the truth, but I wish her resistance would have been more vocal in that it would make her case stronger. But you may be right that it wouldn't matter, although I think it might matter more to Democrats than it did to Republicans:

For it is important that awake people be awake,
or a breaking line may discourage them back to sleep;
the signals we give -- yes or no, or maybe --
should be clear: the darkness around us is deep.

from A Ritual to Read to Each Other by William Stafford

www.poetryfoundation.org

#67 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 01:55 PM | Reply

Fairfax accuser not planning to pursue charges, source says; statute of limitations expires soon
www.msn.com

#68 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 02:02 PM | Reply

I know that it would be one more ordeal than the ones she has already survived, and I respect her decision to do what is right for herself, but put me down as wishing that she would change her mind about not press charges.

#69 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-02-08 02:10 PM | Reply

That is always a very personal decision, if Dr. Tyson does press charges then she will have to literally re-live what was obviously a traumatic experience for her.

#70 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-08 02:15 PM | Reply

she will have to literally re-live - #70 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-08 02:15 PM
*eyetwitch*

#71 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-02-08 02:20 PM | Reply

She's already been reliving it the past few weeks, I'm sure, so the decision is whether to keep reliving it or not, and if this report is right, she is choosing not, which is equally understandable. I wonder if there is some ethics commission in the state of VA, however, that will want to interview her.

#72 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-08 02:27 PM | Reply

This is a horror show for the Democrats, and as we all know, it's the black guy that gets it first.

#73 | Posted by Spork at 2019-02-09 10:24 AM | Reply

as we all know, it's the black guy that gets it first.

As I said on another thread, Blacks around the country are watching this fairly closely, and if they shaft Fairfax this could have lasting repercussions both for Virginia and the Democratic Party.

No good choices...

#74 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-09 11:10 AM | Reply

The allegations against Fairfax include actual crimes. As distasteful as it might have been, wearing blackface to a Michael Jackson dance contest or wearing it to perform a rap song wasn't against the law in the 1980s.

#75 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-09 11:16 AM | Reply

True, but legality doesn't really matter in the court of public opinion. I was out with a friend of mine who grew up in Roanoke on Wednesday night and he said that he and his wife are watching this very closely because "sure as ---- they are going to dump it all on the Black guy, it is Virginia after all."

#76 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-09 11:27 AM | Reply

#76 If that is the case, then folks who feel that way aren't being very discerning if they can't tell the difference in severity between accusations of rape and sexual assault from 15 to 20 years ago and appearing in blackface 35 to 40 years ago.

#77 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-09 11:31 AM | Reply

"I was out with a friend of mine who grew up in Roanoke on Wednesday night"

That was before the second more serious allegation against Fairfax was made. I wonder if the second woman coming forward will change your friend's opinion of the situation with Fairfax. I know it does for me. The second accuser told people both at the time of the rape and in 2016, which adds to her credibility, IMO. Also, she says it was an actual rape and not a forced--------.

#78 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-09 11:39 AM | Reply

then folks who feel that way aren't being very discerning if they can't tell the difference in severity"

Like I said, that doesn't really matter in the court of public opinion, especially to African Americans that are watching this very closely. People only see what they want to see and as my friend noted, the Northam blackface issue goes much deeper than innocent role playing and to him, the Fairfax allegation this looks like a political hit as payback for what the Democrats did to Kavanaugh.

#79 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-09 11:41 AM | Reply

Agreed, and while I haven't spoken to him I will see him this afternoon (we go to UCLA basketball games together as we share seats), but my guess is that he will just think that the Fairfax issue is even more similar to Kavanaugh now that other allegations are being dug up to dampen the impact of the blackface revelations. I am also going to get his read on Northam's homework assignments, that should be interesting.

Who knows, maybe Fairfax likes beer and was friends with Squee...

#80 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-09 11:45 AM | Reply

Don't forget Fairfax's initial reaction to these allegations coming out:

"Does anybody think it's any coincidence that on the eve of potentially my being elevated that that's when this smear comes out?" Fairfax told an impromptu press conference in Virginia when asked by a reporter if he thought Northam's "team" was behind the sexual assault allegation.

#81 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-02-09 11:47 AM | Reply

righto- it's not a coincidence at all.

victims often come out when the perpetrators find themselves being elevated politically, specifically to stop them from attaining a position they're not morally equipped for.

see: kavanaugh

#82 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-02-09 11:55 AM | Reply

Fairfax is asking for an investigation, something every accused is entitled to. I hope he gets an honest one, and then let the chips fall where they may.

"but my guess is that he will just think that the Fairfax issue is even more similar to Kavanaugh now that other allegations are being dug up to dampen the impact of the blackface revelations."

Yeah, but Tyson told Rep. Bobby Scott (or at least his office) over a year ago about her allegation, so her claim didn't just pop up out of thin air now that Fairfax has a chance of becoming governor. The second accuser also told someone who was fundraising for Fairfax in 2016 that he had raped her. The reason the allegations are coming out now isn't to dampen the blackface revelations, but because Fairfax would become governor if Northam resigns.

#83 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-09 11:55 AM | Reply

"...they can't tell the difference in severity between accusations of rape and sexual assault from 15 to 20 years ago and appearing in blackface 35 to 40 years ago."

Ok, let's compare the differences.

One is an allegation and the other happened for sure.

#84 | Posted by eberly at 2019-02-09 11:55 AM | Reply

"Also, she says it was an actual rape and not a forced--------."

Kinda gross that anybody would make a distinction like that.

#85 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-02-09 11:57 AM | Reply

"The reason the allegations are coming out now isn't to dampen the blackface revelations, but because Fairfax would become governor if Northam resigns."

correct.

#86 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-02-09 11:57 AM | Reply

Two allegations, and both should be investigated.

Northam, Herring and Norment all have a blackface problem in their past. 2 are Dems, 1 is a Republican.

#87 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-09 11:58 AM | Reply

"Also, she says it was an actual rape and not a forced--------."
Kinda gross that anybody would make a distinction like that.

I made it in response to previous posts about how difficult it can be to prosecute a forced--------, especially when the encounter started about with consensual kissing. People were asking, "Why didn't she use her teeth?" As I stated, one is rape and the other is, if not rape, some form of sexual assault. Both are against the law.

#88 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-02-09 12:02 PM | Reply

Virginia Legislative Black Caucus Calls for Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax to Step Down as He Faces Sexual Assault Allegations

www.usnews.com