Thursday, January 31, 2019

Last week, on the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, New York state enacted a new abortion law, called the Reproductive Health Act. A long-term goal of pro-choice advocates, the law was passed by the newly elected Democratic majority in the state Senate and signed by Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo. The governor even ordered that One World Trade Center in New York City and several other New York state landmarks be lit in pink to celebrate the legislative victory.

While pro-choice advocates were celebrating, the pro-life movement described the R.H.A. as a tragedy, arguing that it legalized abortion up to the point of birth. Defenders of the law described it as a bulwark for women's rights, designed to guarantee that even if the Supreme Court were to overturn or limit its decision in Roe, abortion access in New York would be maintained...

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

...Much of the coverage describing the law and its effects has been polarizing, with advocates on each side describing each other's accounts of it as biased.

As with any charged and divisive issue, the choice of emphasis and focus in coverage can give the same facts very different interpretations and implications -- and it is likely that I will be accused of doing the same in this article. Both I and America magazine are strongly pro-life and not on the sidelines of this argument. However, it is worth trying to get to a more even-handed account of what the law does and does not do in order to have a clearer conversation about it, even if we do not expect to fully convince people on the other side.

Comments

A couple of points:

First - yes, I was being deliberately provocative by using "infanticide" instead of "abortion" in the headline. I did so hoping to generate some discussion of this as I'm surprised this hasn't already been a thread on this site.

Second - as Et Al frequently points out - NEVER trust the media to accurately cover legal issues. Although I got the sense that this new law was being accurately analyzed, keep in mind Et Al's cautionary advice.

Third - the embedded article does link to the text of the law itself. To make things easier I am providing the link to the text:

legislation.nysenate.gov

Have fun!

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-31 10:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Virginia's governor is advocating an even more extreme version of this - abortion AFTER birth. If that passes "infanticide" would be a perfectly apt term.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-31 10:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Link for the VA claim?

I find that hard to believe, unless you're just trolling and forgot to add the :)

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2019-01-31 11:56 AM | Reply

Link for the VA claim?

#3 | POSTED BY JPW

Here you go:

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D.) commented Wednesday about a controversial 40-week abortion bill and in so doing said the law allows an abortion to take place after the infant's birth.

"If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that's what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother," Northam said, alluding to the physician and mother discussing whether the born infant should live or die.

A Democratic lawmaker in the Virginia House of Delegates proposed a bill Tuesday that would allow abortions through the end of the third trimester of pregnancy. The video of Delegate Kathy Tran presenting her bill led to an exchange where she admitted that her bill would allow for a mother to abort her child minutes before giving birth.

"How late in the third trimester could a physician perform an abortion if he indicated that it would impair the mental health of the woman?" Majority Leader Todd Gilbert (R.) asked.

"Or physical health," Tran said.

"Okay," Gilbert replied. "I'm talking about the mental health."

"I mean, through the third trimester," Tran said. "The third trimester goes up to 40 weeks."

"Okay, but to the end of the third trimester?" Gilbert asked.

"Yup, I don't think we have a limit in the bill," Tran said.

freebeacon.com

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-31 12:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Fortunately, the VA thing is still just a bill. It hasn't been signed into law. Yet.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-31 12:09 PM | Reply

#UndocumentedInfants

#6 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-01-31 12:32 PM | Reply

Regarding VA.....

Dear Friends,
I made a mistake, and all I know to do is to admit it, tell the truth, and let the chips fall where they may. If you follow my newsletter or have written to me to ask about my votes, you know that I do my best to read and research every bill I vote on. But I did not read a bill I agreed to co-patron and that wasn't smart or typical. I will work harder and be better for it.
us15.campaign-archive.com

Page right out of the Pelosi playbook ...

#7 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-01-31 12:41 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

There are not going to be abortions after birth. The Governor's comments are being taken out of context to mislead people. Women do not and are not getting after birth abortions.

#8 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-01-31 03:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Wildstar,

He said what he said. I'd have to read the VA bill to see if what he said actually allows for that. I'm not going to bother though unless they actually pass it into law.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-31 03:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Abortion causes breast cancer! False.
Abortion causes infertility! False.
Abortion causes mental health issues!
Most women get abortions out of convenience! False.
Most women regret getting their abortion! False.
Anti-choice laws make women safer! False.
Planned Parenthood sells baby parts! False.

Obama voted for infanticide! False.

I've heard them all and this is just another. Once again, anti-choicers are not basing this on any science, medical knowledge or what's best for women.

#10 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-01-31 04:57 PM | Reply

Third-trimester abortions happen either because a woman's health is at risk or because the pregnancy is not viable. But according to Republicans, it's infanticide, and they will misrepresent anything they can find a Democrat saying to make that case. They've particularly latched onto comments by Gov. Ralph Northam, who is a doctor, about what would happen if a woman went into labor before she could get an abortion.

So ... he said that if a baby was born, despite the pregnancy being compromised to the point where a third-trimester abortion was necessary, because labor had started, and a baby with severe abnormalities was born, it would be cared for as appropriate, with the mother and doctor making that decision together. Shocking!

According to Republicans from Donald Trump to Marco Rubio, Northam was advocating infanticide. Which is -- newsflash -- not a thing that doctors do.

Daily Kos

#11 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-01-31 05:54 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by JeffJ

You're a disingenuous -------, Jeff.

You know damn well Northam was referring to "cases of severe deformity or a fetus that is not viable..." (his exact words)

And "The Free Beacon" is an absolute garbage source.

#12 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-01-31 08:07 PM | Reply

Was he wearing blackface or a klan hood when he said that?

Asking for a friend...