Wednesday, January 16, 2019

At least that's what this idiot said, who can tell with DC these days. Maybe they need to turn off Fox News this seriously sounds like Trump would say.

Comments

"I also think it's encouraging because this is my sixth day in Congress and they're out of all their artillery," she said, referencing the fake photo of her feet in a bathtub that was covered -- controversially -- by the Daily Caller. "The nude is supposed to be like the bazooka. You know, like, ‘We're going to take her down.' Dude, you're all out of bullets, you're all out of bombs, you're all out of all this stuff."

Jesus H.

If this is the next "leader" of the Dems (along with her "run train" comment) then count me among the wilderness wandering non-Dem, non-GOP voters.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2019-01-16 11:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"If this is the next "leader" of the Dems "

It's not; not for years and years at least.

Every large organization has kids like this. If the leaders are smart, they'll give her plenty to do. She'll either prove to be savvy, or prove she isn't.

#2 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-16 11:47 PM | Reply

"kids like this."

lol. She's 29 with the maturity of a 19-year-old.

#3 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-01-16 11:53 PM | Reply

lol. She's 29 with the maturity of a 19-year-old.

#3 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

She reminds me of the "sorority sisters" - Harf and Psaki

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-16 11:57 PM | Reply

"She's 29 with the maturity of a 19-year-old."

So...a decade above you.

#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-17 12:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It's not; not for years and years at least.

Not if you believe most progressive posters here, including dear leader.

I don't think the DNC and senior Dems will let it slide, but Progressives are showing themselves to be just as susceptible to cult of personality nonsense with her.

"But but but she dances and Instagrams!"

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2019-01-17 12:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Take a look at her twitter page and see if you still think she's a joke:

twitter.com

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-17 12:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

All that talk about her being the future of liberalism and it's so clear now that most of it is being driven by the Russians.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-17 12:23 AM | Reply

Gal are you in the habit of talking about running a train on an organization?

Me neither.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-17 12:25 AM | Reply

I was unfamiliar with the term (before googling) and don't know what she meant by it. Yes, a lot of the right-wing messaging about her is being driven by Russian bots and trolls. I wish she'd go with a lower profile for a while but can sympathize with her:

Paul Krugman @paulkrugman

To be honest, I'm somewhat uneasy about all the attention @aoc is getting, because a lot of it is obviously for the wrong reasons. She's telegenic and her shocking rise makes a good story; but there are lots of impressive freshmen in this class, and she gets all the attention

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Retweeted Paul Krugman
I'm uneasy about it too. It's stressful & scary, but it's also out of my control, so the best thing I can do is try to focus that attention on the most urgent issues of our time: climate change, good gov, jobs, wages, justice; and highlight the contradictions you explain here.

I could've sat there quietly as the far right tore me to shreds (they were guaranteed to do so the moment a woman like me won my primary), or I could fight back+not let them. I chose to define myself instead of allowing them to take that away from me. And that's why they're mad.

#10 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-17 12:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The right is already trying to make her into the new epitome of the evil Democratic female politician like HRC or Pelosi. Well, f--- them. I hope it blows up in their faces spectacularly.

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-17 12:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"Gal are you in the habit of talking about running a train on an organization?
Me neither.
#9 | POSTED BY TOR"

That seals it, neither of you are Brett Kavanaugh.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 12:35 AM | Reply

Anyway, AOC has gotten a seat on the Financial Service Committee, which is what she said she wanted months ago:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC

Financial Services is one of just four exclusive committees in the House. It oversees big banks, lending, & the financial sector.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to sit on this committee as a freshman, and look forward to working under the leadership of @RepMaxineWaters!

Personally, I'm looking forward to digging into the student loan crisis, examining for-profit prisons/ICE detention, and exploring the development of public & postal banking. To start.

#13 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-17 12:44 AM | Reply

Russia's simultaneously promoting this noob and demonizing her.

#14 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-17 12:47 AM | Reply

Russia's simultaneously promoting this noob and demonizing her.
#14 | POSTED BY TOR

Thanks for the update of what's going on in Russia.

How's the borscht?

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-17 12:49 AM | Reply

"Russia's simultaneously promoting this noob and demonizing her."

You mean... They're giving her the Jill Stein treatment and the Hillary Clinton treatment... Both at the same time!

They must not have Ghostbusters in Russia. Everyone knows you're not supposed to cross the streams. Especially when the streams are going into President Donald J. Trump's mouth. He hates that!

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 12:50 AM | Reply

The Jill Stein treatment?

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-17 01:18 AM | Reply

"Something like that I'm not sure if she's in on it though in fact from what little I've seen I don't think she is."

Jill Stein's GoFundMe was money to pay for a recount that could have hurt Trump.
She used the money to pay lawyers to fend of Congressional inquiry into her dealings with Russia.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 01:44 AM | Reply

It's funny that the rrriiiiiggghhhtttt is now offended by coarse language.

Bull in a China shop rules, gang.

#19 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2019-01-17 05:37 AM | Reply

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It is one of the Big Four, but word on the Hill is that while Pelosi recognized that there would be a backlash if she didn't appoint AOC to a major committee, they didn't want her to continue to be a lightning rod and have time to learn, so they tucked her in under Mad Max, who is used to being attacked by the Right.

AOC may not be content to slink into Mad Max's shadow, so we shall see if this works.

#21 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-01-17 01:12 PM | Reply

"Between the plethora of dumb things she's said coupled with her lashing out, in very Trump-like fashion, at those who criticize her, the personality-cult following she's developing is mind-boggling."

Change the genders and parties, and the candidate has your vote.

#22 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-17 01:14 PM | Reply

I didn't vote for Trump, numbnuts.

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 01:21 PM | Reply

"I didn't vote for Trump, numb nuts."

Riiiiiight.

You just vote for the folks who vote Trump's way.

#24 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-17 01:22 PM | Reply

Oddly enough, no one ever voted for GW, either.

#25 | Posted by Corky at 2019-01-17 01:29 PM | Reply

You just vote for the folks who vote Trump's way.

#24 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Like Carl Levin?

You're attempt at vote-shaming is childish and quite frankly, it should be beneath you.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 01:30 PM | Reply

I voted for GW twice.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 01:31 PM | Reply

Yes, but you're Polish, so you have an excuse. ;)

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2019-01-17 01:33 PM | Reply

Good point.

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 01:54 PM | Reply

"Like Carl Levin?"

Yeah we know you voted for a Democrat, over a decade ago. Back to Trump, your Congressperson and Senator were up a few months ago...did you vote for Trump, or against Trump?

#30 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-17 02:19 PM | Reply

So Urban Dictionary is a valid source when it comes to judging AOC, but when we use it to define the Boofmaster General's rape euphemisms, its all fake news?

#31 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-17 02:35 PM | Reply

#32 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 02:39 PM | Reply

I voted for Republicans and a few Libertarians in '18.

Why do you ask?

#33 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 02:40 PM | Reply

"Urban dictionary didn't even exist when Kavanaugh and his friends were using those terms."

Relevance???

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 02:40 PM | Reply

My physics textbook didn't even exist --
heck, the trees it was printed on probably didn't exist -- when Newton wrote Force equalls Mass times Acceleration, JeffJ.

Relevance???

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 02:43 PM | Reply

The relevance is that whatever someone came up with for the terms Boof and Devil's Triangle in the internet era are probably different than what is on Urban Dictionary.

She used the phrase "run train" this week so it was either consistent with what's on Urban Dictionary or she just used the phrase because she thought it sounded good without knowing how it is defined at Urban Dictionary.

Personally, I could care less about her "run train" comment.

#36 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 02:46 PM | Reply

"Why do you ask?"

Have you forgotten already? You just vote for the folks who vote Trump's way.

#37 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-17 02:47 PM | Reply

Let me reconstruct that first sentence of #36:

Look up "The Walrus" it's not how me and my friends define it as a funny term, yet there it is on Urban Dictionary.

#38 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 02:48 PM | Reply

So?

#39 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 02:49 PM | Reply

So?

#39 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2019-01-17 02:49 PM

Danforth ass u me s that since he votes party line, everyone else does.

#40 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-01-17 02:50 PM | Reply

#32 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Did you boof a few brews this morning Jeff? I'm not sure what that has to do with kavanaugh inventing definitions on the spot.

#41 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-17 02:51 PM | Reply

Actually, it looks like "the Walrus" has been updated and is pretty close to the term we use. Although I always understood it to involve tickling, not a karate chop to the throat.

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 02:51 PM | Reply

#41 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES

He didn't. He recalled how he and his friends used those terms back in the '80's.

#43 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 02:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"The relevance is that whatever local slang terms Kavanaugh and his friend were using in the 80's among their social circle is probably different than what got put out on Urban Dictionary in the internet era."

Well that's just a lie.

The terms probably have the same meaning, just like all the words we're using in this conversation that existed in the 80s have the same meaning they had in the 80s.

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:07 PM | Reply

Well that's just a lie.

Were you part of Kavanaugh's social circle in the '80's?

I was in high school in the late '80's. My social circle didn't have the terms boof or Devil's Triangle. Who knows, maybe they were being used in the manner that those terms are defined on Urban Dictionary today. Maybe they weren't. Fact is I don't know and neither do you.

#45 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:12 PM | Reply

"since he votes party line, everyone else does."

Jeff votes for Trump's enablers; that was the point. The fact Jeff voted once for a Democrat, over ten years ago, has nothing to do with the fact Jeff clutches his pearls here, and then votes for Trump's enablers when he gets into the voting booth.

#46 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-01-17 03:16 PM | Reply

The Republicans on the ballot in '18 more closely aligned with my policy preferences than the Democrats who were on the ballot.

That's why I voted for them. That you have an obsession about it is creepy.

#47 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:21 PM | Reply

He recalled how he and his friends used those terms back in the '80's.

#43 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

WHITEHOUSE: "Devil's triangle?"

KAVANAUGH: "Um... Drinking game."

WHITEHOUSE: "How's it played?"

KAVANAUGH: "Ah uh ummmmmmmmmmmmm uh.... Three glasses in a triangle?"

#48 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-01-17 03:27 PM | Reply

"I was in high school in the late '80's. My social circle didn't have the terms boof or Devil's Triangle."

Relevance???

Words have meanings. Including words you don't know.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:27 PM | Reply

She should hire Frank Cotton as a staffer.

"After Frank gets through with you you'll feel like you've been fncked by a train!"

#50 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:28 PM | Reply

Like I said, you have no idea how his social circle was using those terms.

#51 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:29 PM | Reply

"Who knows, maybe they were being used in the manner that those terms are defined on Urban Dictionary today. Maybe they weren't. Fact is I don't know and neither do you."

Maybe there's a teapot orbiting Pluto that our most powerful telescope can't detect.

And maybe there isn't.

But only a charlatan gives both of those possibilities an equal chance.

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You're full of crap and you know it.

Here's a slang term for you: Krantz.

It's on Urban Dictionary and the definition isn't even remotely close to how it's used in my social circle.

We also have a slang definition for Harari and that word doesn't even appear on Urban Dictionary.

#53 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:33 PM | Reply

"Slang terms are slang terms and can have different meanings depending on the social circles."

Nilla please.

It's plain as day what Renate Alumnus means. What boof means. What FFFF means. What Devil's Triangle means.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:33 PM | Reply

Riiiiight.

Does it hurt being this ridiculous all of the time?

#55 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:34 PM | Reply

"Here's a slang term for you: Krantz."

Yeah well if there were other meanings for the terms in question -- before Kavabaugh made up definitions for them
which then got added to Urban Dictionary by his supporters -- you would have a point.

But that's not what happened, and you know it.

#56 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:36 PM | Reply

"I voted for GW twice." - #27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 01:31 PM

In the same election?

If so, welcome to the Democratic Party! :-)

#57 | Posted by Hans at 2019-01-17 03:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"You time traveled back to the '80's, infiltrated their social circle and know how they were using those terms."

Actually, all I did was go to high school in the same part of the country in the late 80s, and used Occam's Razor.

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:38 PM | Reply

I'm a little disappointed you didn't ask for the definition of Krantz.

#59 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:40 PM | Reply

I'm a little disappointed you bury your head in the sand rather than face facts.

#60 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:41 PM | Reply

I'm just applying logic, which is something you are incapable of on this subject.

#61 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-01-17 03:47 PM | Reply

Please. You're applying wishful thinking.

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:50 PM | Reply

And when that didn't work, you're applying the "You weren't there, you can't really know" logical fallacy of Young Earth Creationists.

#63 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 03:51 PM | Reply

Back on topic, here is the next brilliant idea AOC is going to "run train" on...

#64 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-01-17 07:38 PM | Reply

So is anyone else trying to figure out how the heck she could say something so stupid?

#65 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-17 09:06 PM | Reply

That conversation ended a while ago, no one cares.

#66 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-01-17 09:08 PM | Reply

And people really thought she would be better than a veteran congressman?

LOL

#67 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-17 09:22 PM | Reply

I notice that all the people who support Grover Norquist's vision of a government so small you could drown in the bathtub are shocked, shocked I tell you, by AOC's violent language.

That is all.

#68 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 09:23 PM | Reply

After all no liberal could possibly find talk of running a train on progressivism alarming.

#69 | Posted by Tor at 2019-01-17 10:14 PM | Reply

Spineless, lying p^$$y grabbers who'd sell your children's future for a few crumbs from their donor's table?

Quite the policy preferences.

#70 | Posted by jpw at 2019-01-17 11:22 PM | Reply

He means tax cuts for the rich.

Since noone is addressing unfunded liabilities, might as well make them worse!

That, and putting kids in cages.

#71 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-01-17 11:46 PM | Reply

Don't forget unmitigated pollution.

Can't have clean water and air cutting into corporate profits! That might cost a CEO their bonus!

#72 | Posted by jpw at 2019-01-17 11:55 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2019-01-17 12:34 AM | FLAG:

I had RW friends that jumped all over the fake nude story and use that to show why she was unfit for office. Then when it was exposed as fake and exposed how desperate the right is to discredit her immediately they all just slithered back into their hiding places.

#73 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-01-18 07:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So, another FoxNews diversion.

The Onion had some fun with this:

Fox News Debuts Premium Channel For 24-Hour Coverage Of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

www.theonion.com

#74 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-01-18 08:11 AM | Reply

There's a photo of her feet?

#75 | Posted by boaz at 2019-01-18 09:30 AM | Reply

#75 Fake photo.

#76 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-01-18 09:44 AM | Reply

#76,

Yea, I know..

#77 | Posted by boaz at 2019-01-18 09:47 AM | Reply

Headline fail. Folks with tiny mushrooms (see alt-right conservatives) are not good at ---------s.

#78 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-01-18 09:24 PM | Reply