Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Pakistan has officially asked China to shelve a joint US$2 billion coal power project from the US$62 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) infrastructure project, claiming it will be too expensive and should not be an immediate priority.

Pakistan is confronting a balance of payments crisis caused by the rupee losing 25 per cent of its value against the US dollar in 2018 after the US cut off billions of dollars of annual US aid in 2017. To make up for the shortfall, Khan's government has approached Saudi Arabia, China, Abu Dhabi and the International Monetary Fund for help. Beijing has reportedly pledged to lend Islamabad US$4 billion.

"Pakistan at the moment is interested in liquid cash instead of investment due to the balance of payment issue and Khan's government is interested in cash in return for shelved Chinese power projects," said Qamar Cheema, a political analyst based in Islamabad.

Comments

Mighty Texistan never took a dollar of US payments...wait, what?

-JTosseRigelTonySekakaiTripoliMain

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-01-16 12:05 PM | Reply

LOL.. ROC is scraping the bottom of the barrel for fake news.... I thought what I posted didn't bother him no more because he has me plonked??? Apparently not!

and the International Monetary Fund

They are no longer talking to the IMF.

after the US cut off billions of dollars of annual US aid in 2017

Ummm .. no.

I know some people want to go with the narrative that the Rupee lost it's value because the US withheld some "aid". Well no. The "Aid" was money the US gave to Pakistan to give to the taliban as a bribe to go easy on American soldiers in Afghanistan.

I said that when the money stopped, the Taliban will go into hyperdrive

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 12:24 PM | Reply

Never thought of aid allowances to the third world as a source cause of possible balance of payments issues. That's an interesting thing to ponder

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-01-16 12:27 PM | Reply

Whoops...post got chopped....

Anyway...

I said that when the money stopped, the Taliban will go into hyperdrive and that is EXACTLY what happened. So I know what I am talking about DUH.

As for the Rupee losing it's value, it's the US Dollar that is climbing against ALL currencies.

www.reuters.com

The last Prime Minister insisted on this "white elephant" because he was getting votes from that area. There is a reason why is in jail today.

That power plant was never needed and construction never started. The money will be spent on another part of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

#4 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 12:28 PM | Reply

It's a lie.

American "journalism" at it's finest. LOL

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 12:29 PM | Reply

www.dawn.com

Background discussions with government officials suggest that Islamabad has officially conveyed to Beijing that it is no more interested in the 1,320MW Rahim Yar Khan power project in view of sufficient generation capacity already lined up for the next few years. It has requested the Chinese friends to formally delete the project from the CPEC list.

Nuclear power plants (at least two Gigawatt class being built in Karachi) and Hydropower projects are more important than coal-power.

The official said the PTI government had already made up its mind to remove almost 400 "politically motivated" projects from the development portfolio.

The project was originally pushed as imported coal-based plant by Quaid-i-Azam Thermal Company of the Punjab government led by Shahbaz Sharif who used to attend meetings of the Cabinet Committee on Energy led by then prime minister Nawaz Sharif. A leading business tycoon had proposed the project and was expected to be one of the key sponsors.

The project was removed from the CPEC priority list when then bureaucracy highlighted that surplus generation capacity had already been contracted and more contracts would lead the country to ‘capacity trap'.

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 12:35 PM | Reply

When you prop up an entire country for 15 years with over 18 billion dollars of aid, its currency also gets a boost from that aid. Once the spigot was turned off, the rupee tanked and Pakistan has had to go, hat in hand, to other countries to make up the difference.

China will end up owning half of Pakistan shortly, and they will become China's problem.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-01-16 12:38 PM | Reply

its currency also gets a boost from that aid.

Nope. All that money was given to the Taliban because Americans can't fight... but they needed Pakistan to bribe their enemies. LOL

As I said, it's not the Rupee that has fallen as much as the Dollar has risen.

It's nice to have rich friends.

bla bla bla

ROC is the typical loser American.

Lost Afghanistan because America is lousy at fighting, so he is sore and wishing bad on others. LOL

Yeah man, I know your type.

#8 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 12:45 PM | Reply

And Hey... believe in whatever fake news you want.... whatever floats your boat. RIGHTOCENTER will always lie, being a right-wing Trumpist. These people eat and breath lies and fake news.

The facts remain:

Pakistan has got out of it's financial problem. It tagged it's rich Arab pals and told the American controlled IMF to take a hike.

And the other fact... US has lost in Afghanistan. So... sour grapes. LOL

Bye.

And ROC... don't go blind jerking off to whatever bad news you believe about Pakistan. I worry about your health.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 12:52 PM | Reply

Typical denial of reality by Tremain.

#10 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2019-01-16 12:56 PM | Reply

Typical denial of reality by Tremain.

Maybe and maybe not.

Why not wait and see? You will see I am always correct.

#11 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 01:03 PM | Reply

Why not ask yourself WHY the last Prime Minster is in jail and why his party lost the election?

i.ytimg.com

LOL

His crap NEEDS to be canceled. The $2 Billion plus money saved will go a nuclear plant.

This one:

www.thenews.com.pk

The 1,100MW Karachi Nuclear Power Complex-II (KANUPP-2) will come online in December 2020 followed by 1,100MW KANUPP-3 in October 2021.

It is far better to have nuclear power than stupid coal-power.

Only Trump likes coal. LOL

#12 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 01:09 PM | Reply

You are an intelligent fellow (I think). Make up your own mind and don't fall for right-wing nonsense.

Bye Bye.

#13 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 01:10 PM | Reply

LOL, 11 posts and I can only see three of them...Looks like JTosseRigelTonySekakaiTripoliMain is losing his ---- over this SCMP article.

#14 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-01-16 01:15 PM | Reply

is losing his ---- over this SCMP article.

I ENJOY showing the world how dumb you are. I got nothing better to do right now so why not waste my time on you?

I never "lose my ----".

And having said what I wanted to say, all I got from this point on are insults. So before that happens, I'm out, Bye Kuttay.

I can only see three of them

I am SURE you can see all of them.

Or you would not need to say it out loud, trying to convince people. LOL

Frak you, guy. I'm on to you.

#15 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-01-16 01:20 PM | Reply